Username: Password:

Author Topic: Gap between Frets and Fretboard  (Read 2895 times)

Offline threeway

• View Profile
Gap between Frets and Fretboard
« on: November 10, 2013, 10:11:45 PM »
I bought a used HB 30 from Guitar Center's online sales. A little tweaking and it's now okay, except for one thing. Some of the frets near the nut have a slight gap at the ends and sometimes while playing, the high E will get caught under a fret. I saw a YouTube vid where a guy used super glue to fill the gap in. But I hate to use that since I would think it would cause problems should the frets ever need replaced. Any suggestions? :-\

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: Gap between Frets and Fretboard
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 01:50:16 AM »
Welcome.  Sounds like they just need adjusted. Frets will come loose over time, a lot more with lots of humidity changes.    Now if the frets don't go all the way to the edge of the fret board that's a different story.  Take it to a repair shop or guitar tech. I had one loosen up and taped it down with a hard dead blow mallet.  brace neck good under fret. quick lite tap 1 or 2 times, don't beat away or damage will happen.  A shop has a special tool for this. Tom.  :)

Offline threeway

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 09:27:43 PM »
Thanks Tom. I'll try the tapping procedure. If that doesn't work I may use some ordinary white glue that's more removable than super glue. The frets extend over the white plastic binding, so I really don't want to superglue the frets and binding together. 

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 09:15:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum, threeway. I was just thinking after doing the tapping procedure which Tom suggested, would it not be better to use this instrument :http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Pullers,_nippers,_sizing/Fret_Cutter.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=189066&tab=Video or one like it to carefully cut the frets, then gently file down the ends with a fret file to smooth them out afterwards, instead of using any glue? Even though the fret board has binding it might work better in the long run than using glue.

Offline threeway

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »
Thanks guys. But no the frets don't actually extend past the binding, so the cutters wouldn't be of help in this case. The frets just have a very slight gap under them, so that sometimes the string will get caught underneath. I'm sure between tapping and/or filling in the gaps will fix it.