Username: Password:

Author Topic: Do Washburn classical guitars also have truss rods?  (Read 3501 times)

Offline a human

• View Profile
Do Washburn classical guitars also have truss rods?
« on: November 15, 2013, 09:22:39 PM »
I know, probably a stupid question, but curious.

TIA.
Martin Sigma DM1  ('90s, Dad's, Korean made)
Rainer Krempel Classical  (1965)
Cordoba Cadete (615 mm scale)

Offline R-Fier

• View Profile
Re: Do Washburn classical guitars also have truss rods?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 03:54:05 AM »
I think theres no trussrod. Maybe someone who knows better can tell the right answer.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 11:06:21 AM »
Likely not.  Classical guitars typically have thicker necks and low string tension so there is not much need for a lot of neck reinforcement.  If it has a rod at all it would be of the non adjustable type.

Re: an adjustable truss rod, that's easy to tell.  Guitars typically have one of two ways to adjust the truss rod.  Option one.  Look in the sound hole, toward the neck block.  If you see the rod, actually the bolt end for the allen wrench, then it has one.  The other way to adjust a truss rod is via a slot in the headstock.  That is typically covered by a plastic or wood piece so it's very obvious.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 09:28:52 PM »
Likely not.  Classical guitars typically have thicker necks and low string tension so there is not much need for a lot of neck reinforcement.  If it has a rod at all it would be of the non adjustable type.

Some of the custom makers are using a graphite rod....not adjustable, just a slightly "curved" rod set into a straight slot in the neck...

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 07:26:59 PM »
Just checked my C124SW...no truss rod.

a human, try this thread for a few more photos of the Hippner Hauser model and the Breedlove (oh...yeah....a few of my Washburn C124SW, too):

http://forums.washburn.com/index.php/topic,17298.0.html

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:39:32 PM by YerDugliness »
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 08:45:42 PM »
That Rose Wood is just incredible.     My Rose Wood D10S is  very  beautiful, But not even close to yours.    Tom.   :)

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 09:06:23 PM »
That Rose Wood is just incredible.     My Rose Wood D10S is  very  beautiful, But not even close to yours.    Tom.   :)

Were you talking about the Hippner or the Washburn?

The Hip is Rio Jacaranda...a type of rosewood. It still smells like you are standing in a rose garden when you play it. French polish finish...such an incredibly sensitive instrument, it makes me sound both good and bad. 

The Washburn in Indian Rosewood...easier to source as the Brazilian stuff is just unavailable.

The Breedlove is a wood called Ziricote...I paid an extra $400 for a deluxe build, which allowed the luthier to go back into the wood room and pick the best of the woods as well as covered a more durable finish. I was happy he picked pieces with some sapwood in them...it's a nice accent, to be sure! Ziricote is described as having the same tonal qualities as Brazilian rosewood, but I'm not sure.  It is a very distinctly defined sound, great bass reinforcement and a solid nature to the bass, but with a very unique sound because of the redwood sound board.

All of them are a hoot....but the Washburn is the best sound for the dollar, I can assure you.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 08:04:00 AM »
The  Darren  Hippner,   The color stands out against each other so vividly. But they are all great, that one just catches my eye more.   Tom.  :)