Username: Password:

Author Topic: A rare Washburn model?  (Read 8284 times)

Offline Heaton Craig

• View Profile
A rare Washburn model?
« on: November 17, 2013, 06:12:23 AM »
I recently bought a 6 string semi-acoustic-electric Washburn at an auction in, Kyrenia, North Cyprus.  It is in almost unmarked condition and has a label inside merely saying 'George Washburn'. The serial  number 349 is stamped next to the stress rod. The electric pick-up is Washburn 'Equis II' (made in England).
This appears to be a very high quality guitar, which, on looks and sound, alone, is the reason I bought it.

I have photos of this guitar on 'desktop', but can't work out how to post these images with this message - can anyone advise, please?

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Re: A rare Washburn model?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 07:32:28 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  In order to post pictures you need to use a photo hosting site.  Photobucket.com is free and easy to use.

If you do post the pics that would be a big help in ID'ing your Washburn.

ship of fools

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 08:20:17 AM »
Well from the side and back picture looks to be maybe a Marquee EA 36/EA46 but if you could post a picture of the front and the label that could help even more.ship

Offline Heaton Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 08:25:02 AM »
Sorry folks - I'm making a real 'pig's ear' of this photo posting biz!

'Photobucket' won't let me join - I made so many attempts, I just gave up in the finish.

My last attempt to post pics. [from imgbin website] of my Washburn yielded 2 of the same pictures - even though the numbers and pictures I uploaded were different.  The first one should have shown a photo of the front of the guitar.

I'll try again!

http://imgbin.me/image/DQQATXVP

THANKS 'ship of fools' - I was just about to post the photo when you replied!

Offline Heaton Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 08:33:14 AM »
Wow - that photo posting attempt worked!

You have to be a bit patient when you 'click' on the link; as, firstly. a large image is portrayed - then this [mysteriously!] snaps into a smaller picture.

I used this photo-posting website, which is FREE >   imgbin.me fast free image hosting

ship of fools

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 08:54:40 AM »
Well its actually looks like a EA-40 Woodstock, made from 1990-1991 single sharp cut away dread style mahogany top oval sound hole, in 1990 is when they started to use birds eye maple before it was mahogany back side and neck. very nice score in excellent shape they are listed in the blue book for around $500-$575.Glad you were able to post the front picture and welcome to the Washburn family with a killer guitar.ship

Offline Heaton Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 09:13:16 AM »
Thanks SO much for your thoughtful and swift response, SoS - you've just made my day!

I have a couple of other fairly rare guitars:

1./  Takamine - apparently it's the 'Lawsuit' model - supposedly a Martin copy.  It nearly never goes out of tune - even here in the Middle East!  My friend has a Martin D41 [lucky so & so!], which loses it's tuning after very little time, but the Tak. doesn't have quite that lingering Martin depth and resonance.

2./  Framus 12 string 'Texan' - made in Bavaria, it has 32 laminations of wood in the neck and a nicely bowed back. Disappointingly, it doesn't hold its tuning for long - not even a week at a fairly even temperature. It does 'ring out' quite nicely, but is a bit of a 'finger-tip shredder'!

ship of fools

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 09:19:15 AM »
I love those old Framus's had one for some time and it was a great player.

ship

Offline Heaton Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 09:54:10 AM »
SoS - Your's looks a better quality than mine. The body edging on yours is much nicer.

I'll post a photo of my Framus later, tomorrow, but have to dash off just now!

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
Nice looking Washburn.  Here is a bit more skinny on the EA40.

EA40 WOODSTOCK
- single sharp cutaway dreadnought style, mahogany top, oval soundhole, bound body, abalone purfling/rosette, mahogany back/sides/neck, 21-fret bound rosewood fingerboard, rosewood bridge with pearl dot black pins, three-per-side chrome diecast tuners, Washburn 3200/Equis II preamp system, available in Black, Natural, Tobacco Sunburst, White, or Wine Red finish, mfg. 1979-1991.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
N/A $500 - 575 $325 - 375
Last MSR was $1,000.
In the mid-1980s, a spruce top replaced the mahogany top. Circa 1987, EQ300 electronics were introduced (sliders instead of knobs). By 1990, Equis II electronics were being used. This model had birdseye maple back/sides with Natural finish as an option.

Offline Heaton Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 06:00:29 AM »
This is the pic. of my Framus 'Texan' - mine looks pretty 'bog-standard' compared to yours, SoS!

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab231/royks/th_001_zps7a8a9709.jpg

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 08:50:05 AM »
Oh... ship... that framus was buttugly dude, glad to hear it's gone... 

ship of fools

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 11:42:54 AM »
Hey Pike glad to see you stick your head out of the shop, you've got to get out more often. Yep she wasn't the prettiest but it could play and the funniest thing about her was she had a slight twist in the neck right to left that made the neck line just perfect.
Now my main players are my Kronbauer and my D2003S and of course I still travel with my Rover all over the place, was down your way just a few weeks ago doing some shopping and to see another guitar, didn't work out for me was far to rough shape for me to buy and it was something I was looking to flip but there wasn't any money left in it.
Take care now and come around more often. ship

Offline Heaton Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 10:07:06 AM »
Re. my 1991 Washburn EA40 'Woodstock' ['Birdseye' maple]. Recently, I noticed that the fret wires under the high 'E', 'B' & 'G' strings, for the first three frets down, are slightly indented and I think they are causing slight 'buzzing', although I might be wrong about this being the cause of the buzzing.

Should I replace the first three fret wires and, if so, does anybody know the correct size of replacement fret wire for this model guitar? There doesn't appear to be any wear on any of the frets further down the fret board.

Sound advice would be much appreciated, other than telling me to take the guitar to a luthier, as there are none in North Cyprus, where I live. It would not be economically viable to ship the guitar overseas for repair.

I've done quite a bit of research on the various forums about re-fretting and, as I have all the necessary tools, I'm prepared to risk giving the job a try.