Username: Password:

Author Topic: any ideas for how to like my wd10sce better?  (Read 4739 times)

Offline a human

• View Profile
any ideas for how to like my wd10sce better?
« on: November 21, 2013, 10:01:53 PM »
I want to like it.  But, so far, it isn't my fav.  The strings it came with weren't doing it any favors, so I changed out to a set of DR coated and the sound improved (stronger).  Playability still seems lacking.  Set up seems okay - about a "medium" action.

I'm a classical crossover ... I still prefer the old classical and play it most.  But it seems as if the wd10sce doesn't do my playing (more fingerstyle than strum) any favors.  To me, the old Sigma (action is similar to the Washburn if you measure string heights) is easier to play and the classical easiest.  It is almost as if the shape of the wd10sce neck doesn't match my left hand. 

So, perhaps I need to bite the bullet and assume it is a guitar/guitarist mis-match?  Or are there other adjustments I can make?

(Now you see why I was considering a trade in a different post.)

Martin Sigma DM1  ('90s, Dad's, Korean made)
Rainer Krempel Classical  (1965)
Cordoba Cadete (615 mm scale)

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: any ideas for how to like my wd10sce better?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 10:12:07 PM »
After 50 yrs of nylon strings, IMHO you may never like steel strings.    My WMJ21S has nylon strings now, and I love it I only finger pick it. And it responds perfect to how I feel How hard I pick or if I kind of pick up and pop it a little.  no matter how hard I pick it I hear every note clear.    It sucks with a pick or to try and strum away.  Can use a pick real lite.  On my D10S's I like Poly Web's.  they help a lot.   there is no need  for me to comment on set ups and action as you probably know more about it than I do. :)     Tom.  :)

Offline philpm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 11:29:44 PM »

I'm a classical crossover ... I still prefer the old classical and play it most.  But it seems as if the wd10sce doesn't do my playing (more fingerstyle than strum) any favors.  To me, the old Sigma (action is similar to the Washburn if you measure string heights) is easier to play and the classical easiest.  It is almost as if the shape of the wd10sce neck doesn't match my left hand. 

So, perhaps I need to bite the bullet and assume it is a guitar/guitarist mis-match?  Or are there other adjustments I can make?

(Now you see why I was considering a trade in a different post.)

Your comment about the neck not fitting well with your fretting hand may well be the problem.  I find that I have that problem with Takamine acoustics.  I love the way they look and sound, but it took only a couple of minutes with one to discover that I'd never be comfortable playing one because of the neck shape.  Trying a different guitar may well solve your problem.
On and off newbie player for about 20 years.

'08 Washburn WD-114SK (currently residing in Denver)
'10 Washburn WMJ11S
'09 Cherry Epiphone Dot
'13 Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 05:21:39 AM »
I want to like it.  But, so far, it isn't my fav.  The strings it came with weren't doing it any favors, so I changed out to a set of DR coated and the sound improved (stronger).  Playability still seems lacking.  Set up seems okay - about a "medium" action.

Bottom line is the guitar may well just not be a match.  I've played many guitars over the years that while terrific instruments just were not right for me.  Having said that I'd suggest you consider your Washburn may well just not be set up well.  A proper set up is not just about string height, a'ka action.  The action at the nut, relief of the neck, fret height are also important.  A proper set will make a huge difference in how the guitar plays.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 08:34:19 PM »
ahuman, as you know my history with guitars is much like yours...as is my preference.

I may have a suggestion for you....or two.

I don't know of any steel string guitar I have ever played that feels as good in my hands as a classical guitar, there's just something about the body size and shape and the neck/nut width that is comfortable...blame it on playing only classical guitars (other than a horrid Ovation I owned for a while...it was stolen in a home burglary and I didn't even mind) for more than 30 years before I got serious about finding a steel string I would like.  I bought a Washburn WD32S, a dreadnought design (wish I still had it, it would make a good campfire guitar), but nothing felt right in my hands and on my lap like a classical, so when I retired I started looking for a guitar with steel strings that mimic'ed the classical guitar design.  What I came up with was a Breedlove custom shop 000, a slot-headed, 12-fret free design with a body very similar in dimensions to a classical guitar and a 1 7/8" nut width!  I have had many a player at bluegrass jams ask if it was a classical strung with steel strings, but of course it isn't.  It was very costly...not exactly a decision I would repeat.  It has absolutely great tone, but I find that I don't play it as much as my classicals because even that guitar (which cost more than the car I'm driving right now) doesn't have the tonal complexity a good classical guitar has.  I'll try to post a few photos if I can get Photobucket to behave:

Here is a photo of the Breedlove next to my Hippner concert grade classical, you can see the size comparisons (The Hip Hauser is on the left, the Breedlove on the right, both have redwood soundboards):

I tried to get Photobucket to give up a copy of the IMG link to a photo of the backs...just won't do it  >:(

OK, but I would not recommend going to that expense...it was a retirement present to myself so I sorta went overboard.

Here's another and probably a better suggestion...I have a Washburn WGO26SCE...a Grand Auditorium model.  The body is VERY similar in size to a classical except for depth, where the WGO26SCE is deeper than a classical.  The neck is 1 13/16" wide (the same as my Masterbilt AJ500RC) and fast like that of a classical.  At first I was blown away by the sound when strummed with a pick, but as I give it more time to break in I find myself enjoying the playability, the action, and the tone of it when played fingerstyle (although it still does not match the complexity of the tones from my classicals). It has that oh, so good feel in my arms and lap that a classical has.  Once again, I'll try to bring Photobucket to its knees and see if I can post a pic or two:

Sorry I don't have a photo of the WGO with the classical...but it is very similar in feel.  If you want the steel string sound with the feel and playability of a classical I would recommend you try to search one of this WGO line out. The WGO25S has a spruce soundboard, the WGO26S has a cedar soundboard.  Most of us classical players love the sound and sensitivity of cedar and don't need the ability to withstand vigorous picking that spruce offers. Secondary tonewoods are Indian Rosewood for both the WGO26S and WGO25S, IIRC, and if I'm not mistaken there was a WGO20S that had mahogany (probably Sapele) secondary woods with a spruce soundboard and a WGO21S that had the mahogany secondary woods with a cedar soundboard. 

An added bonus would be the A/E nature of the WGO26SCE...if you play at church plugged in, you're ready!

I use mine for open-mic stuff...use to use my Takamine LTD, but the tonewood combination of the WGO26SCE suits my style better.

One of the surprising things about the WGO26SCE is the thickness of the soundboard...thicker than any other guitar I own, but it doesn't seem to impact the volume or sensitivity negatively.

Cheers!

Good luck...finding that "just right" guitar is a lifelong struggle for some of us.

Dugly 8)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 07:07:54 AM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline a human

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 12:24:07 PM »
Lots of food for thought here, once again.  Ya'll rock.

I've been MAKING myself play the Washburn first in my practice sessions, then rewarding myself with the classical in the second half, on the premise I am trainable and hope to feel more comfortable with it.  I think this is just making me play the classical better, which isn't a bad thing.  And it doesn't hurt any guitar to be played more.

The wd10sce does sound good, especially with the new strings and played with a pick - the fault is in me, an old dog ya know.   

Funny thing is that I've been taking a local "master class" to improve myself, and the instructor is nuts over my classical ... and he has a beautiful Ramirez.  So, maybe I've been totally and unknowingly spoiled all these years.

I helped my dear old Dad pick out his Sigma many years ago, so that is probably why it "feels" good to my hand.

Re playability:  what seems difficult to me, is barring for a clear tone- it is like I have to torque my left hand unnaturally to get clear notes on the washburn, less so on the sigma and not a problem on the classical.   

Another reason to play the guitar you buy before you buy it.  Another of my life's many lessons.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and impressions.  LOVED the guitar photos Mr. Dugly, sir.   ;)

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 02:30:41 PM »
Y.D. those are beauties.   I am going to recheck that LAG classical at the local store.   I think the neck is to wide, but I am going to recheck.  Short fat fingers.  Tom.  :)

Offline a human

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 06:29:35 PM »
Well, I went ahead and put mine up on Craig's list since I didn't think anyone would knock on the door looking for a wd10sce.  It's fate is now in God's hands, as if He didn't have enough to worry about   ;)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 10:44:17 PM »
Sure am curious to find out how things turned out...did you sell the WD? Did you get a decent price for it? Did you buy a different guitar with the proceeds?

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline a human

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 04:50:01 PM »
Hi YerDugliness,

Since you asked:

Actually it sold rather quickly - a few days after my posting.  A mom had forgotten to lock her car doors and someone stole her son's guitar  while she was picking up a few groceries.  She brought her son over and he played it a few minutes and that was that.  They made a decision in 15 minutes or less - I hope that worked out!  I had put some nice coated strings on it, included the hard case that was like new (too heavy for me to carry) , an inexpensive strap and a clear static Taylor pick guard.   Because I had purchased all this stuff on special sales and prices have since gone up, I think I was only down 20-30 dollars  - I consider that rent.  I am lucky as I see guitars on Craig's List that never seems to sell.

I am considering whether I really need another guitar ... much less what it might be.  I did buy an inexpensive simple pick up that can attach to the head stock (out of the way) and will amplify the classicals as well as the steel string I have that was Dad's.  Didn't sound too bad and I seldom need to plug in any way.  So maybe that is good enough for now. 

Lots of lessons learned through all this.  Mainly, evaluate and play the guitar you are buying in person.  ;)  And, yes, you can have too many guitars!

BTW, I'm planning to play with my church's orchestra tomorrow night, if my shoulder feels okay.  I was run into by a Suburban while walking across the street the evening of 12/14 and feel very lucky to be alive and talking a bit of sense.   Still not physically comfortable enough to drive myself around and have headaches, bruises, etc.  Feel a bit slow-witted, too.  Makes for an unusual holiday.  Just goes to show, you never know.

Wish you all an appropriate holiday greeting.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 02:39:56 PM »
 Wow, hope you get feeling better. Glad you were not more seriously  hurt.  Tom  :)