Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rover Intonation Problem  (Read 1965 times)

Offline justjeffb

• View Profile
Rover Intonation Problem
« on: November 24, 2013, 10:19:43 PM »
Hello!
I've had my Rover for some time and really like it.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to fret true.  Most of my chords seem to fret sharp.  I've tried not pressing quite so hard and it helps some.  I'm wondering what I can do (or have done to the Rover) to help with the intonation.  Is  a compensated saddle a possibility?  If anyone can help me out, I'd sure appreciate it.
Jeff B.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Re: Rover Intonation Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 06:27:08 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  Surprised the Rover, with such a short scale, is giving you intonation grief.  Are all the strings fretting sharp or just a few?

Few things to check out.

Is the action at the nut high?  If so, that will tend to make the guitar play sharp, particularly chords played in the first few frets.
Is there excessive relief in the neck?  Same thing, but less of an issue in first position chords.
A compensated saddle may help, particularly if it's not an overall problem but just on a few strings.

if you are not comfortable checking all this out and fixing it yourself you should have a luthier do a proper set up and evaluation.

Offline justjeffb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 10:47:26 PM »
Hello evenkeel!
Thanks for your reply to my post.  In response, all of the strings seem to fret sharp.  The action on the nut doesn't seem too high.  I checked for any bow (excessive relief) in the neck and there didn't seem to be much....though it is kind of hard to tell, with the neck being so short.  As it turns out, I didn't pay a great deal for the Rover (between $50-60 with case) and am kind of wondering whether it's worth sinking much money into.  Then again, my ear doesn't really allow me to play it the way it is.  I'll probably take it to a luthier, have him/her test it and go from there.  Thanks again for your help.
Jeff B.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 06:42:55 AM »
This article repeats some of what I said, but worth a read.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repair/acoustic-guitar/intonation.php

I'm still thinking the nut may be the source of the issue.  With such a short scale the string tension is lower than a standard scale.  So, the nut action may feel ok but in fact be a bit high.  To test the action at the nut fret each string individually between the second and the third fret.  The string should be just barely above the first fret.  Thickness of a piece of copy paper.

http://frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/nutaction.html