Username: Password:

Author Topic: An Old Washburn Mandolin  (Read 1925 times)

Offline kathirseward

• View Profile
An Old Washburn Mandolin
« on: April 01, 2005, 03:08:28 PM »
I have an old Washburn mandolin that I would like to know more about.  I cannot find a serial number on it.  Inside it simply says New Model.  It came with a case.  I would love to send pictures if someone could help me.  Thanks!!!!

Offline keef

• View Profile
An Old Washburn Mandolin
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 08:04:34 AM »
I assume it has a mix of light and dark ribs (maple/rosewood). If you look inside the bowl on the piece of wood where the neck attaches to, you may see a number. Is it there? No labels?

Offline kathirseward

• View Profile
An Old Washburn Mandolin
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 12:06:10 PM »
Dear Keef, You are correct.  It has the alternating colored wood on the back.  When I look inside the intrument I see a wooden oval piece.  It has an oval indise the oval piece of wood it says George Washburn.  Under that it states New Model  There are definitely no numbers to be seen.

Offline keef

• View Profile
An Old Washburn Mandolin
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 06:48:34 AM »
Ummm - that is not the piece of wood that I was referring to...

It's the small piece of wood right underneath the top where the neck attaches to - usually there is a number there.

How many ribs are there? In any case your mando was made between 1892 and 1896...

Offline kathirseward

• View Profile
An Old Washburn Mandolin
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 07:55:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by keef

It's the small piece of wood right underneath the top where the neck attaches to - usually there is a number there.

How many ribs are there? In any case your mando was made between 1892 and 1896...

Offline kathirseward

• View Profile
An Old Washburn Mandolin
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 07:58:24 PM »
Originally posted by kathirseward

Originally posted by keef

There is nno number anywhere.  I have really looked and othing to be found.  There are 11 ribs.  It is in fairly good condition.  What would byou think it is worth?  Thanks,  Kathi

Offline keef

• View Profile
An Old Washburn Mandolin
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 08:00:39 AM »
These go for $100-200 on Ebay.

Offline RCCo.

• View Profile
An Old Washburn Mandolin
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 10:20:32 AM »
Mine has 13 ribs, the #18882 on the label,1 round,2 diamond and 1 long spear with a ring in the center of it. any info. will be very helpful. Thx RCCO.