Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1979 Washburn Prairie Song Custom D66SW for sale  (Read 5798 times)

Offline fwblack

• View Profile
1979 Washburn Prairie Song Custom D66SW for sale
« on: December 10, 2013, 09:31:40 AM »
Hi;
I'm considering selling my 1979 Washburn Prairie Song Custom D66SW S/N 791639 if the price is right.  It's in great condition.  I was the original owner.  It's been well taken care of and has the original hard-shell case.

After reading a little in this forum, I'm concerned that these guitars don't bring the $$ that match their quality and sound.  But I need to sell it... I will post some photos if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
Fred

ship of fools

Re: 1979 Washburn Prairie Song Custom D66SW for sale
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 10:52:56 AM »
Pictures are always good and it would help to learn how much you are asking for it, there are lots of folks here who know what these guitars are and sound like, so the more information the better chances of selling it to someone who loves these guitars . ship

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 12:00:36 PM »
Pics would be great. 

Offline fwblack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 03:35:37 PM »
OK;
Here's a link to a few photos:
http://www.pqGallery.com/gallery.asp?SID=807843&psID=1&CatID=1
The guitar has normal wear and tear for an instrument that was regularly played for years.  There is a small crack in the lower bout that I've shown in 2 of the photos... it's been there since day 1 and has never caused any problems.  It needs cleaning and a new set of strings, but even with the old strings it sounds great.  My understanding from the dealer when it was purchased in 79 was that this guitar was the Washburn sales rep's demo guitar.

The strap will not be included in the sale as it's one I made, has my name on it, etc.  The pickup is an old barcus berry that the jack or something has a bad connection so it needs replacing or removing.

If there's interest, I'll put it on ebay for a short auction unless someone makes me a good offer here.  I'm thinking at least $800, I hate to sell it, but I need the $$.

Offline Pike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 09:19:27 PM »
You might get $450 if you're lucky...

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 06:41:07 AM »
Pike is right, probably generous if anything.  These old Washies just do not command big dollars.  The crack, even though stable and the old barcus berry PU also reduce the value substantially.  Here is the blue book on the D56 SW.  Your D66 should be similar in value.  I'd place the grading on your as average or a bit below.  So as Pike says maybe $450, but likely more like $350.

D56 SW PRAIRIE SONG
- dreadnought style, solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, round soundhole with rosette, maple body and neck binding, mahogany neck,14/20-fret rosewood fingerboard with snowflake inlays, three-per-side tuners, rosewood bridge, tortoise pickguard, chrome hardware, Natural finish, mfg.  2005-present.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
$775 $500 - 575 $300 – 350
Last MSR $1,100

Offline DaveTrees

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 02:57:02 PM »
I'm concerned that these guitars don't bring the $$ that match their quality and sound.

Very true ...... but then their price when new nowhere near matched their quality, either !  I guess we can't have it both ways .....

« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 04:35:24 PM by DaveTrees »

Offline Morguns1cam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 08:03:48 AM »
The D66SW made by Yamaki for Washburn may be the most under valued Acoustic guitars in existense in my opinion. 100% hand made all solid wood (nothing plastic on the instrument) even the pick guard is inlaid rosewood. The Guitars are extremely well made and the tone just gets better with age. I currently own two of these, both made in 1981, The first I bought new back in 1981 for $1000.00 with the hardshell case, the secound one I found in a Jazz guitar shop in New Orleans, paid $650 for her.
Amazingly the serial nombers are only 17 digits apart! What a pair!, as I am writing this I just purchased a third Prarie Song Custom on Ebay for $660.00 and am awaiting its arrival. So I agree these guitars dont bring anywhere near the dollars to reflect their quality, At the time I was auditioning the first one back in 1981, I Played it side by side a Martin D28, it blew the Martin away!
These are astounding guitars! if you can find one buy it! I personally turned down $5000.00 for my First one that a collector in Nashville was trying to buy!
Mine definitely are not for sale!

ship of fools

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 09:33:08 AM »
Actually a lot of us think that the Yamaki line was way under rated just because it was Japanese built. These guitars are way under valued on the used market which is great for those who like to add them to their collection. Most that I have played or owned were fantastic players and most folks couldn't believe that they were Washburns when the headstock was covered up and they played for hours.
Wish I had the room to have kept mine but alas it wasn't meant to be but I can say that I am sure they are being well enjoyed. ship

Offline guittargasm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 05:38:11 PM »
Hi; if you still have the guitar, or can put me in touch with who does, please contact me at 470-755-8770, Michael, thanks very much!