Username: Password:

Author Topic: Just ordered my WD10SCE  (Read 3245 times)

Offline BrownBucks

• View Profile
Just ordered my WD10SCE
« on: December 15, 2013, 06:46:50 PM »
This is my first post. I have  never played a guitar and will start tomorrow when it arrives. I did a lot of research before purchasing the WD10SCE, and for the price it looked like the best choice. I will let you know what I think after playing it for a few weeks.

Any words of wisdom for a newbie?

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks,
Ed

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Re: Just ordered my WD10SCE
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 08:16:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum and welcome to the journey of guitar playing.  I've been playing for over 45 years.  Largely self taught.  If I could do only one thing over and make only one suggestion....  Get a good teacher.  Lessons from a good instructor will start you off on the right track, versus the gazillion bad habits I've developed over the years.

Second bit of advice, patience.  You can become mediocre quickly.  Good will take a bit more time.

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 11:38:48 AM »
Welcome. Also have your teacher or a friend that plays or a guitar tech, check the set up on your guitar. A new guitar should be real close, but a poorly set up guitar is harder and more frustrating to play.   I had a WD10S and it played well rite out of the box.   You Tube has lots of free lessons.   Tom.  :)

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:41:24 PM »
If I had to identify one thing that improved my playing, it would have to be jamming with others who are more skilled than am I.  It's a great way to learn new technique and steal licks from the players!

Keel's right, too...get a good teacher.  I've never been fortunate enough to be able to take lessons, but like Keel, being self taught, I have to admit that the old adage "He who is self taught has a fool for a teacher" may have some merit. Bad habits are one thing, but downright ignorance is another, and I found myself wallowing in that for the first few years of my guitar playing.  Bought awful guitars just because I liked the way they looked or because somebody I liked played one, that sort of thing.

The thing that brought it all together for me was finding that magic combination...the tonewoods, the scale, the nut/neck width, all that and more that made it seem like I had been playing with a shovel for the first 30 years...suddenly I had an instrument that seemed to be custom made for my hands...it'll happen for you, too, but only if you keep at it.

I always say I'm not that good a player....but I am persistent.  That is what it takes in this endeavor...you have to keep at it when the fingers hurt...you have to get past the plateaus in the learning curve, when you become convinced you'll never get any better...persistence pays off in the end.  I have frequently said I am WAAAAY much more of a player than I ever envisioned when I started....and it all happened without me even realizing it until one day I listened to a song I was playing and it dawned on me that I didn't even dream myself playing that well when I started.

Keep at it, experiment, take chances, don't get caught up in a rut.

There are more...many more....we all have our Ten Best and Ten Worst lists. It's part of the journey!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline BrownBucks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 05:12:10 AM »
Thanks everyone for the works of wisdom!

Opened my guitar last night, and so far I'm impressed. It looks beautiful and the action (seems) good. It looks like it was manufactured in May of 2012. The strings are showing some age. Is it wise to put new strings on a new guitar or how do I know if they need changed?

Best,
Ed
Thanks,
Ed

Offline danielsan73

• Just one more....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 05:23:22 AM »
 Welcome to the forum, and to being a player! It's not a bad idea to change strings on the guitar. If the unwound strings feel a little rough, then they will have corroded slightly over time and a new set would be better, although not essential immediately to a new player. Check the Washburn website for the appropriate guage of strings for your guitar. I believe they use D'addario 12's as stock strings.

Good luck and remember to keep it sloooow....

Dan.
2011 N4 Korina 2.0, 1992 Alder N2, EA20SNB, Idol WIDLXSPLTD, 2007 N61,  Ibanez RG230, Ibanez Artcore AWD72ATF, Ovation Celebrity, Cort Bass, Vantage Acoustic Bass.

Offline BrownBucks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 08:40:24 PM »
Well....my fingers hurt. LOl.... I'm doing pretty good though. I am getting comfortable with the D, A, and E chords . Now, switching between them?  That's a different story. Thanks for all the help. I found a pretty good online guitar lesson site, www.justinguitar.com. His videos are very helpful.
Thanks,
Ed

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 09:10:52 AM »
Yes he is a good teacher.   Also once you get to changing a little faster, on you tube is a guy named Stone Acoustic, he plays standard tuning , he plays all different types of songs, and in  first position chords.  I used to play along with him, it is faster to learn that away.  Your fingers by this time next month will be nice and calloused. Glad your having fun, to me that is the most important thing of all.  Like Y.D. says, you will speed things up by playing with some one, and you tube works good for that.   Tom.  :)

Offline a human

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 05:21:38 PM »
It is a nice guitar.  I had one.  The first one I received via mail order had a neck set that was improper that I did not immediately notice or look for.  When I finally took it to be "set up" it was pointed out to me.  Washburn did replace it (rather than the mail order co. since time had passed) after a bit of discussion.  So,  if I were you, I'd have a tech or luthier check it out for set up (it won't cost much) and maybe have them put a set of coated strings on if all looks good.  I know Sam Ash sells Washburns and our local one has a good tech.

I come from the classical guitar side.  As a result, I recommend instruction as your hand position is important and it is easy to develop "wrong" habits.  Also, it would be nice to play more than rhythm, learn to read tab as well as music and generally explore all you can do with it.

Our local high school offers guitar lessons in the evening adult classes and teachers are good.  You may want to check your area for a similar program.

Cheers
Martin Sigma DM1  ('90s, Dad's, Korean made)
Rainer Krempel Classical  (1965)
Cordoba Cadete (615 mm scale)