Username: Password:

Author Topic: Fretboard care  (Read 2491 times)

Offline BrownBucks

• View Profile
Fretboard care
« on: December 21, 2013, 03:02:18 PM »
What do you recommend I use to clean the fretboard and strings?
Thanks,
Ed

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: Fretboard care
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 11:19:38 PM »
I have Lemon oil, but a damp rag would work.  As for my strings I have a clean new wash rag in each case, and wipe my strings and guitars down every time I am done, and they look new.   I believe less is best.  But every one has there own ideas, of what is best.  Tom.  :)

Offline BrownBucks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 06:22:51 AM »
Thanks Tom.

I read that lemon oil can gum up the frets. Does this happen because they are using too much?
Thanks,
Ed

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 07:40:26 AM »
Best to way to "clean" your strings and fret board is to not get hem dirty in the first place.  Play with clean hands, wipe down the guitar afterwards with a dry chamois or micro fibre cloth.  When you do need a bit of oil/cleaner on the fret board lemon oil is ok.  As are the branded fretboard conditioners you can buy at any guitar store.  I use mineral oil.  I like mineral oil as it is inert, no additives.  You can buy it at any drug store for about a dollar.  Enough to last a lifetime.  No matter what you opt to use, less is best as TY says.  Once a year or so for the fretboard oil/cleaner/conditioner.

Cleaning strings is really not worth the effort.  Keep your hands clean, wipe the guitar after each time you play and replace the strings when needed.  I've tried various string cleaners and gizmos.  Not one worked and most made the strings sound awful.

ship of fools

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 11:43:49 AM »
While both good solutions to the fret board problem I think  the very best solution is to actually play the guitar lots, the moisture from your fingers will keep the board lubricated and if any gunk builds up well just  take a small amount of steel wool ( ooo )  when you change the strings give it a small scrubbing  and then wipe it down with say a very old cotton t-shirt that's seen its better days to make sure none of the steel wool is left behind. Me I just can't stand giving money to the makers of fret board products when its not really necessary. ship

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
Cleaning strings is really not worth the effort.  Keep your hands clean, wipe the guitar after each time you play and replace the strings when needed.  I've tried various string cleaners and gizmos.  Not one worked and most made the strings sound awful.

I realize this is a thread about fretboard care, but thought I'd interject this about strings.

I know a lot of the older blues masters use to pull the strings up high off the fretboard and let them slap downward onto the fretboard...they claimed it brought back the tone when a set of strings gets dull.  I don't know from personal experience...

Another string trick I've heard about is to boil used wound steel-strings in water...must clean the gunk out of the grooves between the wires that the strings are wound with.  Do not try it with the B and e strings, just the wound ones.

Now, back to the topic at hand...I use a mixture of bee's wax and orange oil....like most say, once a year is enough and I always not only wash my hands before I play I also dress the fingertips with a file...eliminates all those skin tags that cause buzzing as well as perhaps reducing the detritus that can gunk up the fretboard.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC