Username: Password:

Author Topic: Bridge Glue  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Rhigo

• www.rhigo.net
    • View Profile
    • Rhigo Official Web
Bridge Glue
« on: January 01, 2014, 07:47:31 PM »
Hi friends
Can you tell me what  glue (brand) used to hold the bridges of acoustic guitars of the brand?
thanks

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Re: Bridge Glue
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 11:52:36 AM »
The traditional glue for bridges, neck joints, etc.. is hide glue.  Hide glue is tricky to work with.  Glue is mixed with water then heated.  Heat must be maintained and water added.  Very short window to work with.  Titebond wood is now used for bridge replacement.  Easier to work with, longer dwell time and no need for the mixing and heating.

Check out the link below for further info.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_adhesives/Wood_glue.html

Offline Rhigo

• www.rhigo.net
    • View Profile
    • Rhigo Official Web
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 08:37:53 PM »
thanks my friend 8)

Offline woodrat

• ragtime & blues fingerpicking
    • View Profile
    • U-tube acoustic blues guitar clips
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 01:51:40 PM »
I left my WMJ21s in the hot afternoon sun last summer and was devastated to notice that the bridge had begun to pull up (gap ~ 0.12").  I was able to work a sufficient amount of Gorilla glue into the gap (using a thin blade knife and strips of business card).  This glue expands as it sets, and my intention was to have it push further into the gap.  I then clamped the bridge down thru the sound hole using two large C-clamps against the bridge plate on the inside of the top.  Let it set up for 24 hrs.  (You May have to chase out the bridge pin holes if glue squeeze narrows them.)  I made this repair last July and it has held 6 months without issue.  The tone and action  are good as new.  I'm very fond of my WMJ21s and now more careful not to leave it in the sun!
WSJ60s, WG26s, WJ45s, WGO26s,  WMJ21s, R320swrk,  D18, Tak F400-12, others...

Offline KJ Custom Guitar Repair

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 09:13:09 AM »
for re-gluing acoustic bridges in my shop, I use Franklin Tite-bond wood glue...Elmer's wood glue max will also work very well. If you plan on doing it yourself, make sure you remove the bridge and completely sand and scrape off all of the previous glue...
2006 Washburn WI68 USA Custom Shop Idol
1998 Washburn USA Custom Shop P4 Deluxe
1998 Washburn USA Custom Shop WM100
1994 Washburn USA MG 120

KJ Custom Guitar Repair
Kingsport, TN

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 11:12:37 PM »
If you plan on doing it yourself, make sure you remove the bridge and completely sand and scrape off all of the previous glue...

Just curious, KJ....to correctly position the bridge do you index it with the bridge pins as you put it back together....probably pulling the pins after you get the clamp(s) set to hold the bridge on?

I had to have the bridge on my Epi AJ500RC reset...they are legendary for popping the bridges. The luthier did a great job and I can't even tell it was ever off.

I have never had one of my Washburns pop a bridge...although I bought a nice older model with a cracked "chicklet" style bridge...used a strip off an old credit card to shim the saddle towards the butt of the guitar and it has worked like a champ ever since. Some day I will reglue the crack in the bridge....someday.....

Cheers!

Dugly 8)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline KJ Custom Guitar Repair

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 11:38:54 PM »
Yes, I use some old bridge pins cut in half to index the bridge, and after clamping and cure time, they pop right out. I've only seen one Washburn bridge pop and that was a recent J28 Cumberland 12-string that the owner used medium strings over a long period of time and did not store the guitar correctly (left it in a car on hot days!) :o

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 08:22:58 PM by KJ Custom Guitar Repair »
2006 Washburn WI68 USA Custom Shop Idol
1998 Washburn USA Custom Shop P4 Deluxe
1998 Washburn USA Custom Shop WM100
1994 Washburn USA MG 120

KJ Custom Guitar Repair
Kingsport, TN