Username: Password:

Author Topic: Festival Series w/ very limited markings  (Read 5713 times)

Offline Pays2Listen

• View Profile
Festival Series w/ very limited markings
« on: January 15, 2014, 10:57:23 AM »
Hello!
I recently purchased a beautiful Festival series guitar for my son from a small local music shop.  I contacted Washburn and explained that the guitar has very limited markings, (the number "83" & Washburn stamp) and that the shop owners knew very little about it other than it being a Washburn Festival series.  The guy I spoke with told me it sounded like an early model Festival, possibly a custom guitar that was made in a batch for someone, or even possibly a prototype.  He asked me to e-mail them photos, which I did.  In my e-mail I made it clear that I had already purchased this guitar and that my son loves it - I let them know that I was looking to confirm where the guitar was made and the year, make & model, so to speak - US Music's response was limited at best - the said it appears to be a guitar from the early 90's & that because it is so old it may be damaged and that it is no longer covered under any type of warranty. They said, they do not believe this guitar is the best purchase for my son & that I should really consider purchasing him a new Festival with a full warranty, and then provided me with a link to local dealers.  Anyway, I have looked at almost all of the previous posts on the forum & while some are similar I cannot find anything that is the same.  -- I really would appreciate any info any of you could offer - Whenever my son plays, people ask him, "what year (model etc...) is that?" and understandably, he'd like to be able to answer them with some confidence.  Also, from the 1990 catalogue, I found here on the forum, I think I can safely say it is not an EA-20 but then again - if it was a prototype, who knows??

Thank you all very much -

Specs: Birds Eye Maple Back & Sides - Spruce Top? - Mahog/Rswd - EQ300(odd placement) - Washburn Tuners
http://s910.photobucket.com/user/fcbjork/library/

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
Re: Festival Series w/ very limited markings
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 11:15:53 AM »
Welcome,  I would like to find that guitar around here, I have only been looking 2 years or more.  I would check and make sure there is nothing wrong with it.  It looks fine, but pics can not show every thing.  Now of course buying a new one under warranty is always a smart way to go.  Tom.  :)

Offline Pays2Listen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 12:57:44 PM »
Thanks Tom, I hope you find one!  I've already purchased the guitar, I took these pictures in hopes that some of you guys that know this series inside & out might be able to help us figure out what it is -- My son is already playing it, neither of us found anything wrong with it at all - The former owner sold it to the shop in a hard case, that came with it, where it had apparently been kept - the electronics work beautifully & it sounds great -- we just wish we knew what it was! Lol

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 03:47:17 PM »
The Festival series is very confusing.  Lots of "exceptions to the rule".  Washburn used different names for the same model and made specs changes w/o changing the the model name or number.  Having said all that my guess is you have a EA 40 Woodstock.  Process of elimination based on the following.

EA40 WOODSTOCK
- single sharp cutaway dreadnought style, mahogany top, oval soundhole, bound body, abalone purfling/rosette, mahogany back/sides/neck, 21-fret bound rosewood fingerboard, rosewood bridge with pearl dot black pins, three-per-side chrome diecast tuners, Washburn 3200/Equis II preamp system, available in Black, Natural, Tobacco Sunburst, White, or Wine Red finish, mfg. 1979-1991.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
N/A $500 - 575 $325 - 375
Last MSR was $1,000.
In the mid-1980s, a spruce top replaced the mahogany top. Circa 1987, EQ300 electronics were introduced (sliders instead of knobs). By 1990, Equis II electronics were being used. This model had birdseye maple back/sides with Natural finish as an option.
EA40 12 Woodstock 12-String - similar to the EA40 Woodstock, except in 12-string configuration and six-per-side tuners, mfg. 1979-1991.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
N/A $525 - 600 $325 - 375
Last MSR was $1,040.  In the mid-1980s, a spruce top replaced the mahogany top. Circa 1987, EQ300 electronics were introduced (sliders instead of knobs). By 1990, Equis II electronics were being used.

You have birds eye maple back and sides which was available as an option.  Late 80's the EQ300 system was used.  W/O any markings you'll never know for sure, but other specs are consistent with an EA40.  Date is late 80's to 1990.  If the neck is straight, braces intact and no other damage then the guitar should be fine for your son.

Offline Pays2Listen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 04:46:29 PM »
evenkeel - thank you so much for your reply - We both really appreciate it!  My son is 18 now and started playing a few years ago - this guitar really is beautiful & he loves playing it.  When he was younger we would take his other electric guitar to a shop to be set up every so often -- when I took this one in before giving it to him, the man told me it was in great shape, so I trust that it is. He will just be really happy to finally be able to answer people when they ask him about his guitar!!  It really is strange how there seems to be this small assortment of random, oddly marked, Festival Series guitars floating around out there in music land -- those of us who are new to this game are so fortunate to have forums like this & people like you & other members to help us out while as we learn the rules! 
Thank Again - hope you have a happy, healthy 2014 -  :)

Offline psp742

• buy, upgrade, learn to play.. yup!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 09:52:56 PM »
Pays2Listen,

That is a very beautiful vintage Washburn electric Acoustic, it is definitely from the Festival Series... it is much harder to distinguish the exact model without the Washburn information paper (located inside the soundhole) usually missing.   I was fortunate that mine still had it.  here is a link to my 90's Washburn Festival EA20B (black) - http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/Alaric89/library/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20Alaric%20Tins%20MacBook%20Pro/1990%20Washburn%20Festival%20EA20B%20MiK%20Newport%20SN%20902314?sort=6&page=1
i upgraded the Washburn tuners to Grover 18:1 tuners (black), even changed strap button (black) makes it look cooler.

Here is a link to VintageWashburn.com specifically Festival Series - http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Acoustic/Festival.html

An interesting fact, NUNO BETTENCOURT from Extreme used a Washburn Festival acoustic electric in their song "More Than Word" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrIiLvg58SY

Enjoy playing... :D
Force 84 ABT B-30 MR
Festival 90 EA20B
Billy T 94 Bk
Bantam 96 XB400 Bttrsctch, 98 XB500 Bk, 94 XB600 BkFlam
Maverick  98 BTM MR/MB, 97 BT3 Rd, BT-4 Tobacobrst, 97 BT-6 MtlFlkBk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
X-series 05 X-33 Bk
Idol 05 WI36 Bk, 05 WI64 Bk
Comfort 14 WCG18CE Na
Wing 84 T-bird Tobacobrst

Offline Bertie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 04:13:50 PM »
Hmmm, I'm thinking it's a woodstock. I've been trying to identify one of my guitars too. I,ts the same as yours with the arched top and back. The only models I can find that had an arched top, is the Woodstock and the Tanglewood, which has the deeper body. The EQ 300 started to be fitted in 86, so it's likely to be from 86- whenever they started fitting the equis EQ. Mines number 161, mahogany and solid cedar. Anyway, whatever they are, they're lovely. :D

Offline psp742

• buy, upgrade, learn to play.. yup!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 08:35:05 PM »
Hello Bertie,

I totally agree with you, I know my EA20B isn't the top quality model... originally it sounded nice, but since I'm a modder at heart..  I had to do some upgrades:
+ changed the OEM Washburn tuners (chrome) to Grover Rotomatic 18:1 (black) [its a direct drop in upgrade]
+ Graphtech bridge pins and nut
+ i made custom clear pickguard and sweat guard
+ Sakura Inlay Fret Marker and headstock too
+ D'Addario EJ16

the clear pickguard and sweat guard is difficult to see but i assure you it is on there.
grover tuners (this is the latest picture)

the clear pickguard and sweat guard can be seen if you look for it.
Washburn tuners (i upgraded them to Grover Rotomatic 18:1 black)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:41:04 PM by psp742 »
Force 84 ABT B-30 MR
Festival 90 EA20B
Billy T 94 Bk
Bantam 96 XB400 Bttrsctch, 98 XB500 Bk, 94 XB600 BkFlam
Maverick  98 BTM MR/MB, 97 BT3 Rd, BT-4 Tobacobrst, 97 BT-6 MtlFlkBk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
X-series 05 X-33 Bk
Idol 05 WI36 Bk, 05 WI64 Bk
Comfort 14 WCG18CE Na
Wing 84 T-bird Tobacobrst