Username: Password:

Author Topic: Can you help me identify my guitar?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline dragonzrmetal

• View Profile
Can you help me identify my guitar?
« on: January 25, 2014, 03:00:37 PM »
It says on the headstock in big letters, WASHBURN
And underneath it in smaller letters, LYON SERIES
It has some a lion's head on it.

The headstock it rounded on the end, much like Fender's, but without the circle shape. It's almost a banana headstock.

24 frets.

3 pickups, 2 singlecoils, 1 humbucker.

Volume, tone

No pickguard was ever on it.
Black with orange burst, black back and sides

Oh, also the frets are really big. and disappointingly soft- they appear to have major wear.

The truss rod is accessible at the bottom of the neck by the neck humbucker.

Bridge has top mounted tremelo.

Flat top, forearm and chest contours.

5 way pickup selector.

Black hardware.

Neck says WE4-TS (I think TS is the colour, I tried to do some research. :P)
Neck plate says 4100778.

It has a black plastic plate on the back for access to the tremelo springs, and another plate for access to the potentiometers.

I've been through the Washburn catalogues and can't find it, I have found similar guitars on the internet, but not with the same shape headstock, and they all had pickguards.

Offline psp742

• buy, upgrade, learn to play.. yup!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
Re: Can you help me identify my guitar?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 03:40:41 PM »
dragonzrmetal, do you have a picture of the Lyon by Washburn HSS guitar?  if not, can you post link to it. 

FYI, Lyon is to Washburn, as Squier is to Fender, and Epiphone is to Gibson.. 
Force 84 ABT B-30 MR
Festival 90 EA20B
Billy T 94 Bk
Bantam 96 XB400 Bttrsctch, 98 XB500 Bk, 94 XB600 BkFlam
Maverick  98 BTM MR/MB, 97 BT3 Rd, BT-4 Tobacobrst, 97 BT-6 MtlFlkBk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
X-series 05 X-33 Bk
Idol 05 WI36 Bk, 05 WI64 Bk
Comfort 14 WCG18CE Na
Wing 84 T-bird Tobacobrst

Offline Graewood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 02:21:54 AM »
Hi guys, sorry for bumping a 3 year old thread, but I joined the forum just to ask this.

I just purchased a guitar that sounds almost identical to the one described above, but in red. I cannot find ANY info about it online anywhere, and bought it as a total gamble as I liked how it looked and I'm an idiot with money.

Maple fretboard, 24 frets, HSS, 5 way, 1 Tone, 1 Volume, headstock says 'Washburn' with 'Lyon Series' in small text underneath.

Can anyone help identify it? I've emailed Washburn customer help too, but am yet to get a response.

Here are some images:

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:24:31 AM by Graewood »

Offline Graewood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 03:55:52 AM »
Based on further investigation, and looking at the catalogue history on the Washburn site, this is either from 1994 or 1995.
The only Lyon Series models on there are the WE-1, WE-2 and WE-3, and based on the other info describe don there my model doesn't fit into any of them.

If both mine and dragonzrmetal's guitars are WE4 models like his neck suggests, does anyone have more info on these? Can't find anything about them!

Thanks again

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 11:41:03 PM »
Lovely axe!! Yah, the WE were a short-lived experiment. WE-1: Strat (sss); WE-2: Strat (hss); WE-3: Tele. They mostly get ignored because of confusion with the Lyon brand. IME, decent copies.

But I thought all the Lyons had Grover tuners (like the WE-1B sitting a few feet away).

My best guess: your WE-4 was a short-lived attempt to crowd a "superstrat" in, but the line was cancelled soon after when they realized how hard it would be compared to putting the same effort into an original design: 1996 launched the BT line & expanded the MG, total three new models $350-$400, right about where the WE-4 would've been.

I'd hesitate to call it "rare," but "unusual" is apt, maybe even "scarce."
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/