Username: Password:

Author Topic: For all you acoustic aficionados  (Read 2712 times)

Offline cmac84

• View Profile
    • REO Shitwagon, Uncooperatives, Voodoo Sun
For all you acoustic aficionados
« on: February 20, 2014, 09:03:58 AM »
I play a lot of open and strange tunings and this would like to make a very good selection on my next acoustic.

The absolute best acoustic guitar I ever played was my old Takmine, however it was stolen from our jam space along with a bunch of other gear years ago. I've been playing my Fender for a while but I really need something with a lot more resonance and flexibility with tuning from Open D to Open G# and back to E standard without a hassle on stage.

I've been looking at these: http://www.dagmarcustomguitars.com/guitars.php

However I really want a WASHBURN EA36.. the look is just stunning and the sound from what I've heard is amazing.

What are your recommendations?

For some songs we run amplification right now, so I currently use an SD insert, and run my effects chain into a Korg Tuner, BOSS-DS1, 2 DD3s and an old VOX reverb/Chorus pedal into a volume control and noise gate into two Roland Jazz Chorus amps, but this is just for a few Slowdive and Ride covers.

How would the EA36 fit into this configuration, some guitars are more touchy then others with the amount of effects I lay on them which makes it even harder.

Thoughts?

If I could pin point the sound I want to get I would refer you to Niel Haldsteads playing, live and on record:

Live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiNEl1XJzc8

On record: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da7gMOY8bTA
Dean Dime Razorback (V255)
Charvel DS1-FR
Chandler Custom Build
Charvel Model 3
ESP-LTD Eclipse
Washburn KC-70, KC90, KC-Prototype (mystery git)
Washburn X11 (modded)
Warwick Corvette
1965 Harmony HB series
Yamaha RXD

Ibanez T4120 Head
Fender HM412 Cab

Taye Drums

Offline cmac84

• View Profile
Re: For all you acoustic aficionados
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 09:25:54 AM »
P.S To get the sound I'm talking about, 3rd song played in the live video is exactly referenced to my style of playing when not finger picking.
Charvel DS1-FR
Chandler Custom Build
Charvel Model 3
ESP-LTD Eclipse
Washburn X11 (modded)
Warwick Corvette
1965 Harmony HB series
Yamaha RXD

Ibanez T4120 Head
Fender HM412 Cab

Taye Drums

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »
You have a ton of variables you are trying to link together.  The "tone" you are after, at least based on the attached youtube video begins with a fairly garden variety dreadnaught cutaway.  So why not begin with that?  The custom guitar link you provided has little to nothing to do tone wise what what you say you are after so that seems a miss, at least to me.

The tone Halstead is getting is very "artificial".  Lots of delay, chorus, some reverb and probably some echo and other goodies tossed into the mix.  Bit of compression maybe.  Hard to tell in the video.  If I had to guess, I'd say the guitar is the least important part of his tone.  His sound is largely driven by all the effects down stream of the source.  The effects rig you use is also going to colour the sound so that the source (the guitar) is likely the least critical element.  Yes some guitars may react in more extreme ways, but that is mostly on the margins, the bulk of the sound is being created by all the effects in the chain.

Re: A Washburn EA36.  I've owned a EA20 and seen and played a few other festival series guitars.  They ALL have a rather thin and muted straight acoustic sound.  Better than what you might think straight acoustic, but nothing like what a full size/depth guitar will deliver.  Terrific stage guitars, given a proper rig and set up.

So, back to the beginning.  If you are after Halsteads tone I'd start with the rig he uses.  If you also want a full on, good acoustic tone then I'd also go with a standard dread.  Why fool around with other options?

Offline cmac84

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 12:34:43 PM »
I suppose what answered my question best was that I'm trying to get multiple applications from one guitar, I think I need to just bite the bullet and by a cutaway for my more effect chained music and a nice high end dead (Larivee etc). I think for the cutaway I'll look to Washburn.
Charvel DS1-FR
Chandler Custom Build
Charvel Model 3
ESP-LTD Eclipse
Washburn X11 (modded)
Warwick Corvette
1965 Harmony HB series
Yamaha RXD

Ibanez T4120 Head
Fender HM412 Cab

Taye Drums

Offline songman

• love it when my hands are wrapped around wood and
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 01:50:45 AM »
I have an EA-30 and an EA-36...and a EA-40 Cumberland is on my short list of guitars to buy this spring.  I am a bit under-tall for my weight  but I am 6'2" and the most comfortable guitar for me is the EA-30 or 36 I have some bigger Wahburn's and Martin's and Guilds but I just enjoy the size of my Ea-30...and once you're really cranking through a big amp what difference does it make if you are playing something real comfortable or a jumbo-ized version of it?
EA-30
EA-36
WSJ60SCEKELITE
WCG25SCE
GIBSON SG & LP JR
FENDER STRAT & SANTA ROSA
MARTIN OM
GOYA HAND MADE CLASSIC 1968
VALLEY ARTS RAY BENSON
and a full dozen more...

In a way too busy world
filled with things that steal my time
got more guitars than people
that I call friends of mine

Offline cmac84

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:16:43 AM »
I have an EA-30 and an EA-36...and a EA-40 Cumberland is on my short list of guitars to buy this spring.  I am a bit under-tall for my weight  but I am 6'2" and the most comfortable guitar for me is the EA-30 or 36 I have some bigger Wahburn's and Martin's and Guilds but I just enjoy the size of my Ea-30...and once you're really cranking through a big amp what difference does it make if you are playing something real comfortable or a jumbo-ized version of it?

Good point, I think what a lot of people missed on this is that the woodtones will affect the type of sound I'm trying to achieve, a dread is not the clear cut answer.  So far, this guitar I tried locally sounded beautiul through a Rolan JC120 which is exactly what I'm looking for. Wanted to stick to a washburn but my god this guitar sings. Very clear low end with lots of tone and a nice sustain in the mid range with very bright highs. Cut's through the chorus effect like a butter knife.  http://www.takamine.com/en-CA/guitars/body/om/p1m-orchestra-rosewood-fingerboard-with-case-natural/
Charvel DS1-FR
Chandler Custom Build
Charvel Model 3
ESP-LTD Eclipse
Washburn X11 (modded)
Warwick Corvette
1965 Harmony HB series
Yamaha RXD

Ibanez T4120 Head
Fender HM412 Cab

Taye Drums

Offline Tio Kimo

• you're never too old to be what you might've been
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 11:53:55 PM »
Takamine still makes some ridiculously wonderful affordable guitars, as does Washburn of course. To evenkeels points.... (and he may be too modest to say so, but he is VERY well versed in live acoustic performance) the sounds you indicate are so heavily impacted by the chain, that the base tone of the acoustic is of less concern. I say find a a comfortable guitar you love to play, and get a good pickup in it. With that foundation, your chain seems to have enough options you'll be able to craft whatever final tone you want to from it. Having an inexpensive guitar for your live rig seems a good idea, as you sadly have learned. If you can get a D10 cutaway that works, Awesome, then, should the same bad luck find you (theft) replicating it will be easy.
http://www.oldtownschool.org/
'95 Washburn D-55SW Cherokee (Bourgeois)
'04 Larrivée LV-03 w/ Fishman blend
'02 Heritage 535
'12 Heritage 150
'10 Larrivée RS-2
'11 Benford Tele
'12 Kirn Barn Buster
Marshall AS50D
Little Lanilei 3350LT
Champlifier
Boogie DC-2

Offline cmac84

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 08:49:24 AM »
Good point... again I'm losing site of everything amass the gear. It's a strange thing having the opertunity to rebuild your "sound", but it adds a lot of second guessing and distraction :)
Charvel DS1-FR
Chandler Custom Build
Charvel Model 3
ESP-LTD Eclipse
Washburn X11 (modded)
Warwick Corvette
1965 Harmony HB series
Yamaha RXD

Ibanez T4120 Head
Fender HM412 Cab

Taye Drums