Username: Password:

Author Topic: Unidentified Parlor Guitar  (Read 9844 times)

Offline cgs141

• View Profile
Re: Unidentified Parlor Guitar
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 01:26:35 PM »
wow thanks. I just don't know if there is any way to put a price tag on this.  My sisters & I inherited it, and we cannot split it 3 ways so we must sell it. Not trying to get rich but don't want to get ripped off. :)

Offline cmac84

• View Profile
    • REO Shitwagon, Uncooperatives, Voodoo Sun
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 01:30:41 PM »
From personal experience, I've dealt with this company. However, don't take my word on it and contact them and inquire with them if you feel they may be able to help. They were honest with me and got me a fair price.

Good Luck! :)

http://guitar-auctions.co.uk/
Dean Dime Razorback (V255)
Charvel DS1-FR
Chandler Custom Build
Charvel Model 3
ESP-LTD Eclipse
Washburn KC-70, KC90, KC-Prototype (mystery git)
Washburn X11 (modded)
Warwick Corvette
1965 Harmony HB series
Yamaha RXD

Ibanez T4120 Head
Fender HM412 Cab

Taye Drums

ship of fools

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 02:08:12 PM »
Okay I do not recall ever AC Fairbanks being associated with Lyon and Healy Washburn family nor with Larsons guitars may I ask where you are getting this info from. ship
Oh as to value well value is what folks are willing to pay and without a makers mark often the best you can hope for is to list it at the bottom end ( starting around $1200 ) and hope that you find several buyers who are interested or you can sell through a shop known for older parlor sales. ship

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 02:48:38 PM »
Contact the shop in the link below.  Often considered the go to guy on all things vintage parlor related.

http://vintageparlorguitars.com/

Offline cgs141

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 07:48:41 PM »
ok thanks to all of you. Like I said if we didn't have to sell it we wouldn't but none of us play and it really is a beautiful piece with great sound quality. Just a mystery.

Offline cgs141

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 08:02:17 PM »
Hi just checking back in on the unidentified parlor guitar.  Hey I ran across someone who had a guitar for sell on some website & they couldn't determine what it was but they were selling as either a Larson or an August Carlstedt.  I was wondering if anyone knew about August Carlstedt since my guitar has the mysterious A & C on the headstock.  Thanks

ship of fools

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 09:31:10 AM »
Actually AC Fairbanks did not work with Washburn they were bought out after a devastating fire.

With success came capitol and they continued their expansion by acquiring the A.C. Fairbanks & Company banjo manufacturing. Fairbanks had suffered a devastating fire in March of 1904 and was sold for $925 out of financial necessity – quite literally a ‘fire sale’. Acquisition of the venerable and respected Fairbanks Company brought the respect of the reputation of the Fairbanks name but also brought the potentially greater asset of the experience of many of its employees. Fairbanks veteran David L. Day became the Vega General Manager. (See the accompanying story: A.C. Fairbanks

and when you look at their history they made mostly banjo's and Vega understood the value of their name for these instruments.

1904 - 1919    A.C. Fairbanks and Vega

Vega understood the value of the A.C. Fairbanks name. Vega sold banjos under both the Vega and Fairbanks brands. In 1908 the Whyte-Laydie was re-designed again by David L. Day with a scalloped tone ring and in 1909, the equally famous Vega Tub-a-phone tone ring and banjo was introduced. It was available as a 5-string or plectrum; No.3 or No.9, with mild or intense ornamentation. By 1910, Vega was marketing banjos as ‘Fairbanks Banjo, made by the Vega Company, Boston Mass.’

Shortly after Albert Conant Fairbanks death in 1919, his name was dropped from the Vega labels. Banjos were simply identified: 'The Vega Company'.

There is no mention of his company ever being associated with Lyon& Healy nor the Washburn name
 Here is a bit of history for those interested about some early builders.  http://www.acousticmusic.org/History-of-Builders-sp-68.html#Vega

ship

Offline cgs141

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2014, 06:24:16 PM »
Re: the post by ship. 
I don't know anything about AC Fairbanks or what the other guy posted. 
My most recent post was regarding AUGUST CARLSTEDT, someone brought him
to my attention, also a Swedish guitar maker in Chicago, apparently working
for IDEAL brand.  Obviously this forum is not the place to get much help
thanks anyway

ship of fools

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 10:37:49 AM »
Nope wouldn't be a August Carlstedt he stamped all of his guitars on the neck block also he never had his initials engraved into the head stock and if I remember rightly most of his guitars were similar to Larsons also, but hope you find the right maker and sorry we were not able to help you in your search. ship

Offline cmac84

• View Profile
    • REO Shitwagon, Uncooperatives, Voodoo Sun
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 10:28:36 AM »
I was reading an article on A C Fairbanks that mentioned some kind of relationship with Lyon/etc. I don't know to what extent or if it was perhaps just internet mumble jumble. Like I said, take it with a grain of salt. For an item of this caliber I wouldn't take any forum answer for more than it's weight in words, vintage items should be appraised by the appropriate people of course. If I have the time I may try and find the article but work is busy today :)

Dean Dime Razorback (V255)
Charvel DS1-FR
Chandler Custom Build
Charvel Model 3
ESP-LTD Eclipse
Washburn KC-70, KC90, KC-Prototype (mystery git)
Washburn X11 (modded)
Warwick Corvette
1965 Harmony HB series
Yamaha RXD

Ibanez T4120 Head
Fender HM412 Cab

Taye Drums

Offline cgs141

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 05:21:41 PM »
#1 I came here because some people have inferred that my guitar might be a Washburn.
#2 I logged in to the acoustic guitar area for any questions regarding acoustic guitars, not just washburns.
#3 I have thanked all of you repeatedly.
#4 It was never my intent to be rude, so please accept my apology.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2014, 02:01:24 PM »
I can understand your frustration... but most of us are here because we are FANS of Washburn (old, new, whatever), not roving experts & collectors.

Unfortunately, that era had a LOT of build overlap, with many companies making "house label" guitars for big retailers, doing contract work for each other, etc. Turnover was a LOT more important than brand-building.

In the end, it's YOU that'll have to do the footwork.

Also, when selling, PLEASE remember that "book value" WILL be much more than YOU get. If a guitar is "worth" $1,000, a shop might put it up for at little as $850. In order to (months or even years later) make a profit, they might offer you $500 or less.

And if your guitar is worth thousands of dollars, that actually counts AGAINST you -- it's easier to sell a Plymouth than a Ferrari. A good broker might help you track down moneyed players & collectors who're always looking for certain brands... but then you'll probably have to pay some sort of fee or commission.

If you could bring the guitar into a proper guitar shop with a good Internet presence, you'd be MUCH safer than doing eBay by yourself, & likely get a decent price. Someplace like Chicago Music Exchange or Elderly Instruments.

Be aware that the best prices go to guitars that are playable, properly maintained, & show minimal wear & damage. Putting an acoustic guitar in such shape can easily cost hundreds, & is often not worth the effort unless there's verifiable high demand (like prewar Martins & Gibsons).
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/