Username: Password:

Author Topic: Coil Tap/Split  (Read 2200 times)

Offline herbie53

• View Profile
Coil Tap/Split
« on: May 30, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »
OK, first off I am not sure exactly what these terms mean and would appreciate someone explaining them.  My interpretation is that you can switch a dual-coil humbucker to single coil and get the twang out of it, possibly at the cost of buzz (ala a Tele).  Second, what is involved in the wiring, etc.  I am not the greatest guitarist but love the tech side of things and tinkering. Specific axe is a Delta King OE30 I bought used a couple years ago, love the neck, action and is absolutely beautiful, the only one I have ever seen in natural color, not red, blue, black or sunburst.  Any help and education greatly appreciated.

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
Re: Coil Tap/Split
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 04:54:07 PM »
Hello Hebie53 and Welcome....I can't help you on the wiring, but; hopefully this definition could be of some help in explaining the difference between the two. I ran into this definition some time ago....one of the best I've read on the subject. Hopefully it will be alright to post this link on the forum.

http://www.fender.com/news/coil-splitting-and-coil-tapping/

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 05:29:38 PM »
As for the wiring....check out this link....perhaps it may help in some way, or at least get you started in the right direction......sorry about the misspelling of your name in the first post.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Electronics/Misc/i-4000.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=90998

click No. 1

Offline herbie53

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 02:12:34 PM »
Thanks for the help, may try this on a cheaper Peavy strat copy I have first, has the dual single coil pu on the bridge.  Had a tele and sold it, nothing else plays Merle Haggard the same.

Offline danielsan73

• Just one more....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 08:07:39 AM »
 Its worth mentioning that you need a four wire humbucker in order to coil split, should also be the same for the single.

Dan.
2011 N4 Korina 2.0, 1992 Alder N2, EA20SNB, Idol WIDLXSPLTD, 2007 N61,  Ibanez RG230, Ibanez Artcore AWD72ATF, Ovation Celebrity, Cort Bass, Vantage Acoustic Bass.