Username: Password:

Author Topic: flea market find  (Read 4871 times)

Offline THRobinson

• View Profile
flea market find
« on: June 15, 2014, 06:40:20 PM »
Haven't played in years, but nephew does so sometimes keep an eye open for him.

At a flea market today, found under a few things in a dark corner, a nuno series Washburn. Its a 2 piece solid bridge, like a Led Paul would have not a whammy bar, dual humbuckers, the lead one has rails not dots, and the lock piece is missing off the top nut. Otherwise pretty good shape, very very dark blue/violet almost black.

No manufacturer location on the back plate or headstock. Serial 1050710.

Hoped to just hop online with the s/n and get some details but seems that Washburn has a variety of serial number formats used over the years.

Anyone know what it is that I have? In terms of year, country made, hardware... And also I guess if generic parts would fit for the missing tail and lock?

Thanks

EDIT - Back has the cutout for the springs and such, which made me wonder so I looked in the light and on a certain angle you can see where a full bridge once sat so, the 2-piece Les Paul styled bridge is aftermarket. I'll likely fill the back in and repaint the guitar.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 09:51:05 AM by THRobinson »

Offline RonnMax

• View Profile
Re: flea market find
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 08:51:28 AM »
Hard call without a pic...

Sounds like it definitely is not a N4, unless you noticed and did not mention the "Stephen's Extended Cutaway".

Good luck on identifying it
RonnMax
2- 95 Swamp Ash N4s
1- 01 Padauk N4
1- 92 Tobacco Sunburst N4
1- 92 Red Lacquer N4
1- 08 Sapele Mahogany N4
1- 06 Military Green N6

Offline THRobinson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 03:56:54 PM »
Well, hard to know... the cutout for the back springs and such was there, but, again solid tailpiece which after measuring was in the wrong spot anyways. I'd like to have stripped it down and put back the original setup, but, they sealed up the whammy bar cutout and drilled a few holes for the bridge.

Seems the top was filled then used car paint to repaint it violet/black.

It's the same shape as this, knob placement the same, and bridge cutout. Also the same lead pickup with the rails.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Washburn_N4_Special_20_1.jpg

Here's the photos of what it looked like a few days ago when I started to dismantle... I've since then removed everything, about to strip the paint tonight and see what's happening.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69688475@N04/sets/72157645232964192/

Offline cmac84

• View Profile
    • REO Shitwagon, Uncooperatives, Voodoo Sun
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 08:59:23 AM »
Nice find, but you got a bit of work ahead of you.

Looks exactly like the guitars people would bring in to the shop when I was younger after they dismantled, painted then didn't know how to put everything back together. But finished I imagine it would look very nice. I bet if you sanded it down it would reveal a pretty nice grain.
Dean Dime Razorback (V255)
Charvel DS1-FR
Chandler Custom Build
Charvel Model 3
ESP-LTD Eclipse
Washburn KC-70, KC90, KC-Prototype (mystery git)
Washburn X11 (modded)
Warwick Corvette
1965 Harmony HB series
Yamaha RXD

Ibanez T4120 Head
Fender HM412 Cab

Taye Drums

Offline danielsan73

• Just one more....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 10:17:45 AM »
Well it's certainly an N2 thats been modified, and judging by the serial number and rear cavity shapes its a 1991 model.....
2011 N4 Korina 2.0, 1992 Alder N2, EA20SNB, Idol WIDLXSPLTD, 2007 N61,  Ibanez RG230, Ibanez Artcore AWD72ATF, Ovation Celebrity, Cort Bass, Vantage Acoustic Bass.

Offline THRobinson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 03:46:22 PM »
Ya, I was thinking '91 from the serial number as well.

Not finding what I expected... stripped the purple off but not seeing any difference in wood where the bridge was put. It's very thin there but not seeing anything plugged up, but so discoloured from the violet paint I'm not really sure if looking at wood or very thick base. Using furniture paint stripper... maybe needs something stronger.

Hoped to add a veneer but be too much work to blend the sides to the top with the rounded edges so, likely pearl grey, black hardware, and through the body string ferrules. Lot's of work but, wow, parts are cheap these days... last I tried making a guitar was when I was a teen and there was no internet. :)

Is there a way to know is US, Japan, etc?

Offline danielsan73

• Just one more....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 02:12:28 AM »
 91 N2's were made in Korea, the early Korean guitars from the 90's were the best N2's ever made, much better than the current model!!
2011 N4 Korina 2.0, 1992 Alder N2, EA20SNB, Idol WIDLXSPLTD, 2007 N61,  Ibanez RG230, Ibanez Artcore AWD72ATF, Ovation Celebrity, Cort Bass, Vantage Acoustic Bass.

Offline THRobinson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 12:33:38 PM »
Now I feel bad it was hacked up a little... ah well, it'll be good when I'm done with it. :D

Thanks for the info guys.

Offline cmac84

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
This is where I buy all my parts, so cheap :)

http://www.amplifiedparts.com/
Charvel DS1-FR
Chandler Custom Build
Charvel Model 3
ESP-LTD Eclipse
Washburn X11 (modded)
Warwick Corvette
1965 Harmony HB series
Yamaha RXD

Ibanez T4120 Head
Fender HM412 Cab

Taye Drums

Offline THRobinson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 09:51:01 PM »
I'll be on eBay for my parts... being in Canada, ordering from the States usually kills you with the shipping, duty, etc... though I have a 2yr old gift card for Stewmac so will have to get something from there. :D

Ordering the parts this week, filling most of the cavities with wood this weekend. Will get a tune-o-matic bridge, ferrules and do a through the body string setup. Debating to get new tuners and a new locking nut, or a roller nut since about the same size and use locking tuners instead... all hardware will be black, and painting the guitar a smokey pearl grey like seen on the newer Dodge trucks, or the one used by Hyundai.

Too bad too much damage done with the previous mods, from what I can tell it would have had a pretty nice wood grain to it.

Offline danielsan73

• Just one more....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 02:08:55 AM »
 With no trem on the guitar you're better off using a bone nut and locking tuners. Locking nuts without the trems fine tuners are a real pain!
 Paint sounds good - can't wait to see some pics when it's done!

Dan.

Offline THRobinson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 07:39:59 AM »
I debated the bone nut, but was worried about how it would look with that big gap behind it where the lock nut use to be mounted... that's why I was thinking the roller nut... it's about the same size, though the rollers look like they sit back 1/8" from the edge of where the fret board starts. hmm...

Offline cmac84

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »
I'll be on eBay for my parts... being in Canada, ordering from the States usually kills you with the shipping, duty, etc... though I have a 2yr old gift card for Stewmac so will have to get something from there. :D

Ordering the parts this week, filling most of the cavities with wood this weekend. Will get a tune-o-matic bridge, ferrules and do a through the body string setup. Debating to get new tuners and a new locking nut, or a roller nut since about the same size and use locking tuners instead... all hardware will be black, and painting the guitar a smokey pearl grey like seen on the newer Dodge trucks, or the one used by Hyundai.

Too bad too much damage done with the previous mods, from what I can tell it would have had a pretty nice wood grain to it.

I'm from Canada too eh!.
Charvel DS1-FR
Chandler Custom Build
Charvel Model 3
ESP-LTD Eclipse
Washburn X11 (modded)
Warwick Corvette
1965 Harmony HB series
Yamaha RXD

Ibanez T4120 Head
Fender HM412 Cab

Taye Drums

Offline THRobinson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 11:49:54 AM »
Take off you hoser!

...I just set our people back about 20yrs. :)

I don't want to spend much on the guitar, but, not a fan of having a lock-nut and as mentioned, no fine tuners since doing a through the body string setup.

Too bad worth about $30, but discovered this last night...

http://www.allparts.com/BN-0623-023-ABM-7092-Ebanol-Nut-for-Floyd-Rose_p_775.html

Was hoping to find a cheap eBay alternative but not a common part it seems.