Username: Password:

Author Topic: EA help- (EAT12 or other thinline models)  (Read 3586 times)

Offline llamaduck

• View Profile
EA help- (EAT12 or other thinline models)
« on: June 25, 2014, 01:15:44 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm looking to buy my dad an electro-acoustic for his birthday in a few weeks.
We're both electric players and my dad plays strat and tele style guitars with slim necks and low action so he wouldn't want a full bodied dreadnaught or jumbo- a nice slim small bodied guitar is the plan.
I have a small budget  (£200 as it's just getting played around the house, £250 max) and I value build quality and playability above sound.
I'm a huge washburn fan- my electric is a washburn x50 pro- (mik picked it up new 2.5 years ago for £250). I know they make great acoustics and the ea series are my best bet for small bodied guitars.
There aren't any nearby shops that stock washburn but the best bet I've tried is a yamaha apx500ii (coul maybe get fore £250).

The ea's look like they have a chunky body compared to an apx or ovation budget ovations I tired played horribly).
I did find the EAT12 for £130 online but I have no idea what it's like- there's absolutely no information except it's thinline.
A thinline EA sounds perfect, however I think the EAT12 might be a bit cheap/basic.
I don't want that's too cheap and nasty.
What is it like?

The EA15 and EA20 look great but the bodies look pretty chunky/full size.
Is there a thinline version of them or anything similar?
Any suggestions welcome and other brands too (I saw a lovely takamine gf15ce for £210 that lookes better than a yamaha apx500ii)
Basically I'd like a yamaha apx that's made by washburn (because they make badass guitars).

I know small bodied guitars don't have the same quality and are mostly laminates in this price range- that's not a problem.
Playability is most important.
Washburn dreadnaughts are great value and great guitars but not what I'm looking for.
Thanks guys!

Offline llamaduck

• View Profile
Re: EA help- (EAT12 or other thinline models)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 01:30:21 PM »
The EAT12 sounds almost perfect.
It's just the basswood body that outs me off.
Is the construction/sound reasonable?
I don't really have any info or photos of it.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 02:47:20 PM »
The EA models sound "thin" when played acoustically, but plugged in is a different story altogether. Every EA I have ever heard played onstage/ plugged in sounded great. Even unplugged they sound better than my semi-hollow bodied Epiphone Dot if it is played unplugged.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 02:50:28 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline llamaduck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 03:00:09 PM »
The EA models sound "thin" when played acoustically, but plugged in is a different story altogether. Every EA I have ever heard played onstage/ plugged in sounded great. Even unplugged they sound better than my semi-hollow bodied Epiphone Dot if it is played unplugged.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
Thanks Dugly.
Your response was vey helpful.
I bought the EAT12 (thinline EA) of a site just there and I'll post a pic when it comes.
Looks a great wee guitar.
Hopefully it plays fast and is comfortable.

I appreciate your help:)

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I used to own an older EA20.  Terrific stage guitar.  As Dugly noted a bit thin straight acoustic.  You really do want to play it thru an amp for the guitar to really shine.  In some ways my EA 20 felt like across between a Triple O and a Les Paul.  Similar body shape to the LP, but the EA 20 was not as heavy.  The thin body was very comfortable to hold and play, which gives it that 000 feel.  Very easy, fun guitar to play.  Good luck.

Offline llamaduck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I used to own an older EA20.  Terrific stage guitar.  As Dugly noted a bit thin straight acoustic.  You really do want to play it thru an amp for the guitar to really shine.  In some ways my EA 20 felt like across between a Triple O and a Les Paul.  Similar body shape to the LP, but the EA 20 was not as heavy.  The thin body was very comfortable to hold and play, which gives it that 000 feel.  Very easy, fun guitar to play.  Good luck.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to it arriving.
The old EA20s look awesome-pretty slim!

I hope my dad enjoys the eat12. Its half the price of a Yamaha apx but looks slimmer and has a better pre amp. Hopefully it plays well.

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum;