Username: Password:

Author Topic: Did my son get conned?  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Wendy

• View Profile
Did my son get conned?
« on: June 27, 2014, 09:15:12 AM »
Hi all: I'm new and know nothing about guitars so I need some help. My teenage son just bought a Washburn guitar from someone who told him it was a limited edition. He paid $350 for it. I've looked at a ton of pictures of Washburn guitars but don't see one like the one my son bought.

When I type in the model number on this site, it comes up blank. Can anyone help me to determine if this is really a Washburn, and what the value would be? I'd hate to think my son was conned. He's just learning to play.

The model number on the sticker inside the guitar says D100DLTWRK and the serial number is FC070602957. I tried uploading some pictures but apparently I'm not doing it right. THANK YOU for any help you can provide.

Offline WEBgUy

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.usmusiccorp.com
Re: Did my son get conned?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 10:44:52 AM »
The D100DL is an all mahogany guitar made exclusively for musiciansfriend.com. It is currently sold as the model WD100DL with the crown headstock but otherwise is the same guitar. The TWR in the model name stands for Trans Wine Red which is the color and the K stands for kit which simply denotes any accessories that might have come with it.

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 01:21:09 PM »
I would not say your son got "conned" but he certainly did not get a great deal.  Limited edition in this application only means limited to how many Musicians Friend wanted to buy.  It's an all laminate guitar.  Not a bad thing, but top of the line guitars are made of solid wood.  Some guitars, sort of mid level if you will, are made with solid wood tops and laminate back and sides.  Lower level, student guitars are typically all laminate.

As to value.  A good comparison is a Washburn D10.  Another good, well built all laminate guitar.  In good shape, with a case it's got a value of $200-$225.  Shop around a bit and you'll find them for $150 +/-.  So your son did over pay as the guitar is worth maybe $200-250.  Sorry.

Offline Wendy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 01:23:37 AM »
Thank you both for the information. I won't tell my son he overpaid because he really likes the guitar. I must say I am impressed with the tone ... it has a full, rich, sound - if that makes sense.

I really appreciate the depth of knowledge on this site, and the willingness of the forum participants to help those of us who are in the dark. Thanks again. You've put my mind at ease.  :)

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 01:12:32 PM »
Apologies for dredging this thread up, but I missed it at the first go-round, & I want to chime in with some thoughts on The Great Value Bugaboo.

Anything is "worth" what you can get for it, at that moment, in that place. If I'm selling used books at a flea market, & on a whim I mark a dog-chewed Dean Koontz 2013 paperback at $500, & someone actually pays me $500... well, what is that book worth?

A decade ago, I played a $3,000 hand-made all-wood acoustic guitar -- this thing was beautiful. And it sounded... mediocre; my old $250 Aria sounded as good. Sure, I knew it'd likely hold that value, & in all likelihood improve with age like a new red wine... but, y'know, sometimes we simply desire a decent vin ordinaire with the lasagna & don't WANT to wait 40 years for dinner. ;)

The problem with Blue Book valuations is that too many people treat 'em like the Mosaic tablets. Those numbers, though, are only a starting point. If I've got two identical red 1961 Strats in front of me, both set up today by the best luthier I could find, & one plays significantly better than the other, it's worth more. If a guitar makes my hands ache & sounds kinda bleah, it's worth less... unless I can get some starry-eyed True Disciple of the Blue Book to pay me top dollar, of course...

In my little collection, I have a First Act dreadnought, an unnumbered & forgotten lam sprucetop that a few years ago was usually marked $99.99 at Walmart & I got mine for ~$65 on sale (plus the free one-year subscription to Rolling Stone -- how cool is that?) Once I loosed the trussrod, it turned out to be a pretty good player... however, this was the best of like seven on the shelf. (Yeah, yeah, I know, our local Walmart Security Team knows me & cuts me a LOT of slack.) Now, I won't take less than $150 for it, & that's if I like the buyer.

Despite human efforts. building a GUITAR... out of WOOD, yet... well, that's simply a LOT more Art than Science, & Art means there's all sorts of variables involved. The outliers want to trend toward the common, but the outliers are a hard fact. Whether bell-curve or T-curve or whatever, the tails remain tails. Unless a guitar maker/importer is dropping its worst examples into the wood-chipper, there's gonna be some mediocre examples on the market -- you might open the case of your shiny new USA Gibson Les Paul Private Reserve only to find that the headstock has spontaneously snapped off; your Gretsch Country Gentleman might suddenly throw off all its bindings then delaminate its entire top.

Wendy's son got a good guitar, for a little less than Suggested Retail Price. It was available, he had the cash, & he's apparently already derived pleasure from playing it -- those are factors in establishing value. Sure, it's all-lam, but THAT means it'll stand up well to hard playing & extremes of temp & humidity, which he might find more pleasing than an artist-worthy tone. Meantime, he's got a guitar right darned now that pleases him.

He coulda found the same model for less, certainly... but who here would guarantee that any random D100M will sound & play & survive at least as good as the one that he already has? Neither you nor I would make such a promise about a random guitar, especially a guitar that could have any number of issues, quirks, adjustment needs, & so on, & those are just the objective, Science-y factors. How could we certify the Artistic randomnesses that sometimes pile up in the right direction & result in one nice guitar appearing in a hundred "identical" cheapies?
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/