Username: Password:

Author Topic: WD9SW comes out of the closet  (Read 1744 times)

Offline snowleopard

• View Profile
WD9SW comes out of the closet
« on: June 29, 2014, 05:08:13 PM »
Greetings, all.

After many years of not playing guitar, I had a hankering a few days ago.  T ook out a travel guitar I had hanging on a wall peg, played with that for awhile.  Then I pulled out the Washburn Rover I had upstairs, and started dinking around on that, and found a few things started coming back to me.  Zero calluses here, so after awhile I started looking at the action, realized it was high, and got around to remembering one of the guitars I had tucked away in my closet.   Recalled that it had an easier action, and thought it might have lighter strings.  Recalled, too, why I hadn't looked at it for years.

When it was new-ish, a young lady was playing it, and after she had, I noticed what looked like a crack in it.  Asked her about it, she said she hadn't dropped it or thumped it.  She had enough problems in her life already, so I let it go.  Figured that it was basically dead--not worth the expense of an expensive repair.   Couldn't bring myself to let it go, so I bagged it up and put it away.

Pulled it out from under a rack of clothes--how did that bag find that much dust?--and took it out and strummed it, and I was surprised by how good it sounded.  I'm no hotshot guitar picker--I just know what I like--and it sounded dark and rich and pleasing to the ear.  The thing that really surprised me was that it was darn-near still in tune.   That wasn't just me saying it--I used a chromatic tuner to test it, and some of the strings were spot on, the rest not far off.   And I realized, this is not a dead guitar. 

Now I realize that I should have loosened the strings before I put it into long-term storage, but when I put it there I didn't realize it would be years before I took it out.  Sorta like the last time you pick up your kid, and set them down--you don't know that's going to be the last time.  But still--for it to be that closely into tune strikes me as remarkable.  So I sat down with it and took another look for this crack.  What I'd seen before was a ridge at  the seam down the front.

I Googled around looking for more info on this now-starting-to-impress-me guitar, found someone who described the full-size version as sounding like a paper box stuffed with wads of tissue.  Nice.  I guess there are some advantages to not having that refined a guitar palate, because I think it sounds fine.   

Anyway, dinked around with this one, and a few things started to come back to me, and I had a fine time playing around last night.

My question: anyone else with a WD9SW who can see/feel the seam on the front (dead center)?   Would you consider it worth the expense of taking this to a guitar shop to get action adjusted and putative crack looked at?    What about taking along the Rover to see if it could be rendered more playable?   

I had to move an old Gibson aside to locate the WD9SW, and may just amble back to the closet to check that out as well.   Okay, now I'm wondering which one held a tuning better.  I'll be back.

Okay, I'm back.  It's a beat-up looking guitar that their uncle gave my kids several years ago.  No identifying features, but it was autographed by someone on its face in marker, and it looks like it says, "All the Best,  Roy Clark".  The pick-guard looks a lot nicer than the one on the Washburn.  Also sounds remarkably tuneful, although the strings look older than the WD9.   Now to give it the is-it-in-tune?-test.   

Okay, so that was interesting.  The G-string was still spot on, which I find random and odd, the rest not so much.  Played a little with both of them to compare.  I have to say the WD9 does sound a little muffled compared to the Gibson-whatever, but the Washburn is a whole lot prettier.

Okay, time to go thicken up the tips of my fingers. 

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:10:11 PM by snowleopard »

Offline wrmurphy

• View Profile
Re: WD9SW comes out of the closet
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 11:13:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum. The crack you talk about could be dryness. You did say it was stored for a long time. Taylor has a good tutorial on hydrating guitars. I'm not sure if your guitar is solid wood, but solid wood
axes have to be hydrated. I would suggest taking it in to a luther to check that crack. I don't think its that expensive to have him hydrate and repair that crack.   Good luck.  murph

Offline VictoriaBowe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 08:00:33 AM »
The man has come out of the closet of the guitar. The music is plaid and essaymama review is implemented for the entertainment of the persons. The guitar closet is ensured for the judgmental parts for the people.

Offline JamesPerlman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 05:07:29 AM »
The care of the residence is done for the individuals. The prospects have been ensured for the movement of the Divine Home Care CA for all ideal paths or the humans. The community is redefined for the kids.

Offline Alansanders

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 06:25:12 AM »
To sum up How to get real estate leads , the real estate market is and will be going through primary and significant changes which would be a breakthrough in marketing processes such as smart homes of the future. Smart home attraction in real estate is not just limited to new homes, but many consumers are already exploring into the home automation market.

Offline Alansanders

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 07:41:50 AM »
To sum up how to get real estate leads the real estate market is and will be going through primary and significant changes which would be a breakthrough in marketing processes such as smart homes of the future. Smart home attraction in real estate is not just limited to new homes, but many consumers are already exploring into the home automation market.