Username: Password:

Author Topic: Looking for info on my Guitar  (Read 2601 times)

Offline saintpeter132

• View Profile
Looking for info on my Guitar
« on: July 03, 2014, 06:14:25 PM »
I am looking for information on my Washburn that I recently purchased. I cannot find anything about it online and the model no. is W 40 P.

thanks for any help!

Peter

ship of fools

Re: Looking for info on my Guitar
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »
You won't find any information on this piece....  this is a sample.  This was most likely built in 1973, for Beckmen Musical Instruments, by Terada

Terada was a large Japanese builder of acoustic guitars and was (and still is) an OEM supplier for many brand name companies like Ibanez.

Here's more info on this builder:

Terada were established in 1912 at Nagoya and concentrate mostly on making Semi-acoustic and Acoustic guitars and have made guitars for Ibanez, Orville by Gibson, Epiphone Japan, Gretsch, Washburn and other well-known brands as well. At their production peak (in the late 1970s/1980s/early 1990s) they were producing around 10,000 guitars a month using 3 factories, the Higashiku factory, the Kanie factory and the Shirakawa factory. Terada's output is now about an 1/8 of what it was at their peak and they are still actively producing guitars at their Kanie factory.

This is a nice find!  Not too many samples floating around from the Beckmen era of Washburn guitars. (1974-1976)

Note: You might find some information (as a Terade build) by searching " Terada production acoustic guitars 1973 "

A very nice score for you and for Washburns lovers to see the rise of the Washburn name by the Beckmen Musical. I myself would not know just what kind of price to put on something like that but for some I would say almost priceless. ship

Offline saintpeter132

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 04:08:02 PM »
Wow, I thought it was a special guitar but I didn't realize that it was so unique. The guitar plays like a million dollars and has an amazing tone and is in excellent condition, especially if it's from 1973. I am curious as to what the price range on it would be, although, I have no intentions of getting rid of this amazing washburn. I am not a Washburn fan for life!
 -PD

ship of fools

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 08:22:23 AM »
Well I would think because of its ties to Terada I would do my best quesstimate of around $450 and if you print out the information that Jim has generously provided maybe up to $650-$700 for those who collect them. The Japanese at that time were making guitars that sounded and played just as well if not better then many Martins from that time period. ship

Offline cmac84

• View Profile
    • REO Shitwagon, Uncooperatives, Voodoo Sun
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 07:55:59 AM »
Well I would think because of its ties to Terada I would do my best quesstimate of around $450 and if you print out the information that Jim has generously provided maybe up to $650-$700 for those who collect them. The Japanese at that time were making guitars that sounded and played just as well if not better then many Martins from that time period. ship

Indeed, the infamous Martin vs Takamine lawsuit.
Dean Dime Razorback (V255)
Charvel DS1-FR
Chandler Custom Build
Charvel Model 3
ESP-LTD Eclipse
Washburn KC-70, KC90, KC-Prototype (mystery git)
Washburn X11 (modded)
Warwick Corvette
1965 Harmony HB series
Yamaha RXD

Ibanez T4120 Head
Fender HM412 Cab

Taye Drums