Username: Password:

Author Topic: JACKPOT SCORE MG USA!! Need help identifying!!!  (Read 1763 times)

Offline TravisScott

• View Profile
JACKPOT SCORE MG USA!! Need help identifying!!!
« on: July 04, 2014, 02:57:21 PM »
So I got a line on USA made Washburn the other day from my friend. I saw the pics, they were pretty low res and hard to make out. I went to check it out anyway, and good thing I did! Turns out to be an MG154! This guitar is easily on par with Suhr, Charvel, USA Fender, or any other high end strat that I've played. Quality is through the roof and has one of THE BEST fret jobs I have ever seen. The guy played it a couple of times and put it away in the case for all these years! Anyway, here she is!

EDIT: Upon further inspection of the MG website, I am now not sure what model this is. The serial number codes it as a 1994. Maybe a one off or prototype of one of the higher end models? Were you able to order custom specs back then?

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 12:41:09 PM by TravisScott »

Offline C-RAM

• View Profile
Re: JACKPOT SCORE!! MG154!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 12:30:38 AM »
Wow! That's a stunner - the quilt cap is insane, like looking into an inferno - you have indeed scored, congratulations!
My Washburns -

A-5, Black
A-10, Charcoal Translucent
A-10, Red Translucent
A-10, Green Translucent
A-20 Reissue, Honey Burst
HB-30, Tobacco Sunburst
HB-32DM
HB-32DMK
HB-35, Natural
J-6S, Natural
T14FL Taurus Bass, Black

Offline TravisScott

• View Profile
Re: JACKPOT SCORE!! MG154!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 12:37:37 PM »
This is not an MG-154....

Here's what a 154 looks like:

I've seen your model before....(see picture below) .....I think the concensus is that this is a later version of the MG-120 with a Floyd Rose instead of a Wilkinson VS-100 bridge.

Do you have any paperwork that identifies your model?

What are the first 2 digits of the serial number?  Are they 96 or 97?

Note: Your MG has the same neck, maple fingerboard, string guide and black hardware that was used on the MG-113 Performer.

Also note: US Music Corp was using parts (left overs) from other guitars to complete MG-120s toward the end of the MG USA production run.

Here's another (what we believe to be) MG-120 that was mistaken for an MG-154....it's identical to yours except the one below has a rosewood fingerboard:

Your's is a stunning guitar...looks to be well kept.

I was looking at the MG guitars website and the specs of this were in between quite a few of the models. I'm assuming you thought it was 96 or 97 because you have never quite seen one like this? Looked at the back of the headstock and it starts with 94. Maybe it is a one off or prototype?

Ill try to get the paperwork from the guy I purchased it from. He said it is around somewhere, he just has to find it. It is extremely well kept! I was pleasantly surprised when opening the case. He said about a month or two after he purchased it, he was in a very bad car wreck that left him unable to play for the next 7 years or so. The guitar has pretty much sat in the case for the duration of its lifetime. The frets are basically brand new!

Offline whbn

• View Profile
Re: JACKPOT SCORE MG USA!! Need help identifying!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 07:27:32 AM »
Hi!

Perhaps a bit late, but I think it's a MG 130 with maple fingerboard.

Cheers, JPB