Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn HB 35 DL  (Read 9961 times)

Offline SamIV

• View Profile
Washburn HB 35 DL
« on: September 10, 2014, 04:23:24 AM »
I am looking at a Washburn HB 35 DL.  He is asking $400 and says it is in very good condition with very little play time. His wife bought as a gift for him from someone who rarely played it and he has had it for over 10 years.  Says he has played it maybe 3 to 4 times in that time he claims.  The pics do look good.   All original and original case that is missing the handle.  My concern is the bridge.  It has the string through bridge.  How do these play compared to a standard stop tail bridge?  I was also told it has a thin neck which I would prefer.  Does anyone have experience with one of this model?  He does not know the age of it.  It has the wing inlays znc the extra switch.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline SamIV

• View Profile
Re: Washburn HB 35 DL
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 06:45:05 AM »
Also found another Korean HB 35.  Looks to be in great shape and the seller is offering a return if I do not like it and it is less expensive.  It also has standard pickup wiring and  a stop tail bridge.  Any ideas of the necks on either of these?  Like I mentioned before, I do prefer a thinner neck like a 60's Gibson and wonder which one would be closer. 

I know I am new here but looking to become a Washburn owner and could uses some advice from the more knowledgeable Washburn owners.

Pics of both.  First the Korean then the other tobacco burst which I do not know the country of origin.

Offline SamIV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 06:46:01 AM »
The second pic is the Korean, sorry.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:47:46 AM by SamIV »

Offline cmac84

• View Profile
    • REO Shitwagon, Uncooperatives, Voodoo Sun
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:29:30 AM »
I love the Korean, what a beaut. Looks like my old Gibson ES-335 that I sold for peanuts. I miss that guitar horribly...
Dean Dime Razorback (V255)
Charvel DS1-FR
Chandler Custom Build
Charvel Model 3
ESP-LTD Eclipse
Washburn KC-70, KC90, KC-Prototype (mystery git)
Washburn X11 (modded)
Warwick Corvette
1965 Harmony HB series
Yamaha RXD

Ibanez T4120 Head
Fender HM412 Cab

Taye Drums

Offline SamIV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 08:19:07 PM »
I appreciate the one post, but man is it quiet here.  I don't even hear crickets.  They left as well?

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 10:00:13 PM »
Some times it is more active than others.   Winter is coming.   Also there are only a few that really post on the HB here.  Maybe Tio Kimo will come along, he is very much in the know about the HB guitars.  Sorry I really like the mid level acoustics.  Tom.  :)

Offline guenter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 06:55:06 AM »
Sam,
ofcourse best thing would be to try out both and take the one you love more. But it seems you can't do that.

You didn't mention the exact price difference so that could ofcourse be an argument which to take.
But for my taste I wouldn't hesitate a second and take the HB 35 DL. afaik the DL is rather rare because it has only been produced for a short time. It's probably made in japan (maybe Matsumoku) in the early 80's which also makes it more desireable than the korean one. It's got the beautiful wing-headstock and these nice round ES335-like mickey mouse ears which makes it look real vintage. The active electronics on board you may like or not - I don't use this feature on my HB 35 DL.
the string through contruction should give your sound a super long sustain - that's one of the features this model has in common with the wing series and players often praise this construction.
The korean is also nice but for me it has far more of a mass product than the DL. When I found mine awhile ago I read the ad in the morning, called the seller immediately and was there in the afternoon to pick it up. He told me that during the day he had quite a number of enquiries from all over Europe.
So I know my thoughts are only softfacts which deal more with the look than the feel but that's all that I can give as input. I love my DL and would never sell it  :)

guenter

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:58:03 AM by guenter »

Offline SamIV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 08:55:23 PM »
I can get the DL for $400 plus shipping.  The Korean model will be $350 shipped.  What is the neck like on the DL?  Thick or thin.  I prefer a little on the thin side like a Gibson 60's neck.  Thanks for your response.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:48:49 AM by SamIV »

Offline guenter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 05:40:17 AM »
Then you sure will like the neck of the DL, it's definitely "a little on the thin side".
You may also look around here http://www.matsumoku.org/ggboard/index.php if you don't know this site already

Offline SamIV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 06:58:25 AM »
Thanks for your response guenter.  Have to try and get hold of the seller to ship it now.  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:49:33 AM by SamIV »

Offline SamIV

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 09:10:40 AM »
Wish there was an edit here, my typing seems to be a bit off.  Can't seem to type correctly on my phone. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:50:03 AM by SamIV »

Offline t.y.

• Loud pipes save lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 12:10:40 PM »
modify, will let you do that.   :)

Offline SamIV

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 11:51:15 AM »
Thanks for modify tip.

Offline SamIV

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 04:18:49 PM »
Decided on the DL and should have it in another week or so.  Will post pics when it arrives.  Thanks again for all the help.

Offline cmac84

• View Profile
    • REO Shitwagon, Uncooperatives, Voodoo Sun
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 08:16:34 AM »
Who is selling the Korean, can you link me please?
Dean Dime Razorback (V255)
Charvel DS1-FR
Chandler Custom Build
Charvel Model 3
ESP-LTD Eclipse
Washburn KC-70, KC90, KC-Prototype (mystery git)
Washburn X11 (modded)
Warwick Corvette
1965 Harmony HB series
Yamaha RXD

Ibanez T4120 Head
Fender HM412 Cab

Taye Drums