Username: Password:

Author Topic: Monterey wiring diagram  (Read 2782 times)

Offline K2

• View Profile
Monterey wiring diagram
« on: July 28, 2014, 07:11:05 PM »
Hello, I have an old Monterey (early 80's) that only has the rotary volume and tone knobs (no eq). Unfortunately, the original pots have been lost so I don't know how this instrument was originally wired. I tried wiring the piezo like you would a magnetic pick up, but the tone control didn't really work that well (perhaps not so surprising). Does anyone have a wiring diagram for these older instruments? Thanks. K2   

Offline psp742

• buy, upgrade, learn to play.. yup!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
Re: Monterey wiring diagram
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 08:05:45 PM »
Hi,

Not sure if there is a diagram for what you asked, but it may have something close..  vintagewashburn.com/Wiring%20Diagrams%20PDFs/WiringDiagrams.html

Good luck,

Ric
Force 84 ABT B-30 MR
Festival 90 EA20B
Billy T 94 Bk
Bantam 96 XB400 Bttrsctch, 98 XB500 Bk, 94 XB600 BkFlam
Maverick  98 BTM MR/MB, 97 BT3 Rd, BT-4 Tobacobrst, 97 BT-6 MtlFlkBk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
X-series 05 X-33 Bk
Idol 05 WI36 Bk, 05 WI64 Bk
Comfort 14 WCG18CE Na
Wing 84 T-bird Tobacobrst

Offline K2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 07:19:48 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I checked out the wiring link, but didn't find anything close. What I'm really curious about is if they used any special pots or caps or even resistors when they wired up these older Montereys. If any one has an original set up, maybe you can stick a mirror in to see what you can see. K2 

Offline Needdenine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 05:50:10 AM »
Now, as I knew I would have to say for you.

Offline TommyNacc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
Hello, I have an old Monterey (early 80's) that only has the rotary volume and tone knobs (no eq). Unfortunately, the original pots have been lost so I don't know how this instrument was originally wired. I tried wiring the piezo like you would a magnetic pick up, but the tone control didn't really work that well (perhaps not so surprising). Does anyone have a wiring diagram for these older instruments? Thanks. K2   

I took mine out, trying to look to see if it had any 9-volt transistor battery wiring attached to it and unfortunately, both pots are sealed in a aluminum-like box, which I didn't even attempt to open.  Its sort of a pain in the arse to get back inside. You literally have to fish it back in with a solid wire of some kind, taped to the very end of the pot.

By any chance, did you happen to see if there is a 9-volt connection to this unit or near the bridge pick-up?  It sounds exactly like the same treble-bass and gain unit I have on my Monterey Woodstock Festival.