Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1993 D25 S/N  (Read 4742 times)

Offline Doghearty

• View Profile
1993 D25 S/N
« on: October 27, 2014, 07:35:13 PM »

Just got this one home. It is fully bound in white, including fretboard and headstock. I've seen other D25s without this binding. How common is this? What years did they include binding like this?

Offline zaph17

• View Profile
Re: 1993 D25 S/N
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 01:17:26 AM »
That's pretty sweet.  It looks like the solid cedar top/striped mahogany back and sides model.  I'll bet it sounds really good.

I think they made the D25S until 2000.  Looking at the Washburn catalogs, it seems the white binding was used starting in the early 90's.  I saw a photo in a 1996 Washburn catalog and the D25S looks the same as yours.  The '87-'88 catalog shows the dark binding like my D25S, which is an '87 model.  I'm sure someone else here can give you more information.

You scored a nice guitar, man.

Offline Doghearty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:28:32 AM »
I love 'em. I have two D20s of this vintage with birdseye maple backs and sides, and a D21 in mahogany. I don't think this D25  is a cedar top, but I could be wrong. The 80s- early 90s solid top Washburns are great.

Offline zaph17

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 10:48:17 AM »
That's cool.  You have some nice guitars.  Wouldn't mind seeing pictures of your Washburns.  I also think the '80s-'90s solid top acoustics are great guitars. 

I had a D10 and D32 back in the day and they were sweet.  Now I'm hunting for a couple more vintage models.  I like the round-shouldered southern jumbos best, so I'm keeping my eyes open on Ebay and Craigslist, among other online sources.  A D34S slothead would be the coolest.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 09:02:17 PM »
A D34S slothead would be the coolest.

ABSOLUTELY!!

Everyone knows how much I love my Washburns...my signature line says it all....but my favorite guitar is an Epiphone AJ500RC...AJ refers to the "Advanced" placement of the bracing under the soundboard on the Southern Jumbo style slope-shouldered body.  It fits into my dreadnought size cases perfectly. Solid cedar soundboard over solid Indian Rosewood back/sides...and incredibly LOUD!

I keep my eyes out for a Washburn D34S...but they just don't come up that often.

Here's a few photos of the Epiphone (my apologies for the thread drift, but when someone mentions a slot-headed guitar I have to join in the discussion):

The slot head

The Rosewood on the back/sides:

The business "end":

High grade cedar soundboard:

I have more...a custom shop Breedlove 000 size slot-headed 12-fretter...but so far the Epi is my favorite steel string.

I sure would like to get my hands on a Washburn D34S to see if it could "unseat" the Epi as king of the crew!!!!!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:05:04 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Creekboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 05:17:22 AM »
A D34S slothead would be the coolest.

ABSOLUTELY!!

Everyone knows how much I love my Washburns...my signature line says it all....but my favorite guitar is an Epiphone AJ500RC...AJ refers to the "Advanced" placement of the bracing under the soundboard on the Southern Jumbo style slope-shouldered body.  It fits into my dreadnought size cases perfectly. Solid cedar soundboard over solid Indian Rosewood back/sides...and incredibly LOUD!<

Loud guitars can beguile the unwary.  More important is resonance and sonority, a garbage truck is loud.  Most really loud guitars have the depth of a spoon.  Pure tones travel.  Variation is the key to keeping the audience interested and engaged, unless of course it's rock & roll spectacle.

Carolina Chocolate Drops 'Leaving Eden'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWgpyApBMME
Playing the concert guitar is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic,
scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with conflicting
aesthetic considerations.  It's not even clear if music is actually the point.

__ I said that!

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 08:09:59 AM »
Thanks for posting this fine version of "Leaving Eden" by the Carolina Chocolate Drops. I was turned on to them by a friend about 8 or 9 years ago, I believe the original band of Giddens, Flemons, and Robinson was still intact at that time. (they have had quite a few band member changes over the years...I believe that Giddens is the only original member left). At first listen I thought they were a band just playing around with the sounds of the traditional string/jug band sounds of old...but, after a couple of listenings, I learned that they were much more than that. What got me most was that they were young accomplished musicians who were not playing "today's music",  but, were genuinely reaching back and bringing forward some great music from the past. I have two of their albums "Genuine Negro Jig" and "Leaving Eden". Love them both. Out of habit it seems..after playing these albums, I always seem to follow with The Alabama Shakes album "Boys & Girls". The lead singer Brittany Howard's voice always reminds me of a mixture of Phoebe Snow and Otis Redding...really love that sound... good stuff!!

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 03:20:48 AM by Sextant1951 »

Offline Creekboy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 10:41:20 AM »
Thanks for posting this fine version of "Leaving Eden" by the Carolina Chocolate Drops. I was turned on to them by a friend about 8 or 9 years ago, I believe the original band of Giddens, Flemons, and Robinson was still intact at that time. (they have had quite a few band member changes over the years...I believe that Giddens is the only original member left). At first listen I thought they were a band just playing around with the sounds of the traditional string/jug band sounds of old...but, after a couple of listenings, I learned that they were much more than that. What got me most was that they were young accomplished musicians who were not playing "today's music",  but, were genuinely reaching back and bringing forward some great music from the past. I have two of their albums "Genuine Negro Jig" and "Leaving Eden". Love them both. Out of habit it seems..after playing these albums, I always seem to follow with The Alabama Shakes album "Boys & Girls". The lead singer Brittany Howard's voice always reminds me of a mixture of Phoebe Snow and Otis Redding...really love their sound... good stuff!!

You may like: Marion Williams - The Day is Past and Gone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPjXX_EfpwI

If so, I have the complete history, from the original, to a modern guitar arrangement w/ vocalist.
The melisma of  Marion Williams is rooted in folkloric moans and blue tonality. The most transcendent moments occur when the melismatic line is saturated with those blue notes.

Maybe best late a night with more than several shots of Cutty Sark.

In some pieces we (guitarist) can play melismatic lines.

__ I said that!

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 12:04:29 PM »
Much in the style of Mahalia Jackson, great voice, not my kind of music, have nothing against it, just doesn't hit me, like blues and jazz (with some R&B thrown in to season the pot). The closest I've even got to liking gospel was though some of the works of Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Gospel...great music, with a great history, it just doesn't do it for me. Had not heard that phrase "melismatic line" in a long time, read this article some time a go on that very technique:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6791133

"In some pieces we (guitarist) can play melismatic lines".  So true.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:26:46 PM by Sextant1951 »

Offline Creekboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 03:20:10 PM »
Much in the style of Mahalia Jackson, great voice, not my kind of music, have nothing against it, just doesn't hit me, like blues and jazz (with some R&B thrown in to season the pot). The closest I've even got to liking gospel was though some of the works of Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Gospel...great music, with a great history, it just doesn't do it for me. Had not heard that phrase "melismatic line" in a long time, read this article some time a go on that very technique:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6791133

"In some pieces we (guitarist) can play melismatic lines".  So true.

Yep, I collected that 2007 NPR audiocastt and put it in my file.  Seldom do we see anything written about it in English.  Although, who knows now with the internet new stuff about old stuff is popping up all the time.  Most melismatic informations have been, that I've seen, in Spanish with regard to Flamenco singing..  No, that's not music I listen to a great deal. . .a little goes a long way.  Here's another: Angélique Kidjo - Malaika https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tusu58UnP3Y

__ I said that!

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 07:29:32 PM »
Nice....I remember seeing her for the first time in a movie celebrating the blues called 'Lightning In A Bottle'. A wonderful voice, reminds me alot of Miriam Makeba.

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 02:52:19 AM »
Doghearty.....It seems we have drifted from the original subject of your thread, which was about your guitar...please excuse.