Username: Password:

Author Topic: Bassist what do people think of them?  (Read 6687 times)

Offline Russell Sova

• View Profile
Bassist what do people think of them?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 12:56:13 PM »
Maybe it depends on the music, but I think playing the bass is one of the coolest hobbies a person can have. Tell people and look at their response. Most hobbies people think are pathetic except for maybe flyfishing or golfing. Playing the bass is very cool. In jazz it's one of the absolute defining instruments. Learn to walk it. I've had women do the wolf whistle thing while walking the bass in a solo.
no frets?

Offline TIMBERWOLF

• View Profile
    • http://www.timberwolf.altpro.net/bandsite/
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2005, 04:05:13 PM »
Hi.  I'm new to this forum, but been playing bass now for almost 20 years.  I have about five basses, naturally one or more of them is a Washburn or I wouldn't be at this forum! {Ha}  {Mine is an XB-120 Pro.}  

As to why I think many bassist's are unknown.  As others mentioned...It's not usually thought of as a SOLOING INSTRUMENT!?  In more recent times bass soloing has caught on, especially with the music of more rock-orientated bands/artists.  But in the older years {and I'm mainly referring to COVER BANDS}...the Bass Guitarist is the one people refer to as:  the tall, skinny, quiet guy in the back!  {Now that description does apply to me, but I'm anything but QUIET! HA.}  I'm the host and manager of the band as well as the bassist.

But for the sake of the question here...Rock band members are usually known for the way they PERFORM {or stand out} with the band!  So naturally you think first of LEAD SINGERS and LEAD GUITARISTS.  Personally as someone who has learned to play bass, guitar, keyboard, and drums...FOR ME the easiest/quickest was the guitar.  And it seems that bassists/drummers are the SCARCEST COMMODITIY around, as you find more bands trying to find them than the rest {generally speaking!}  And I've always heard the expression: Guitar players are a dime a dozen, just like peaches!  {Evidently because there are more of them!?}  And again...personally...I played guitar for many years prior to bass!  And if I didn't start up a band, I would sit forever waiting for someone to call me for a sit-in!  But a year into bass and my phone was ringing off the hook for sit-in gigs!

But bassists and drummers seem to be the one's in the band that get picked on the most {in a playful way of course.}

But as was also previously mentioned by others here...athough its the BASS and DRUMS that keep the beat everyone dances to, it's the vocals and lead guitar that most people REMEMBER!

Personally, I've performed more in Country/Rock bands, so there isn't much chance of the bass player getting a chance to solo or shine!  It's sorta like opening the hood to expose the car engine.  The engine parts that are upfront/ontop are the ones most easily seen.  But it's the internal workings of an engine that set one apart from another, and if all those parts were not working in teamwork the engine would either sputter of die!?  It's the SAME for a band!  To me each member is EQUAL to the rest!!!!!  It takes teamwork for us to make a song great, and make the vocalist sound sweet!
So the BOTTOM LINE here is...it all depends on the 'band/artist' as to whether or not each member is recognized?  And consequently say at a concert, whatever instrument YOU play will make the difference as to whom you are watching on stage!?

Sorry for writing so much, but writing is as much my life as my music!

Sincerely,

Timberwolf  {Joe}

Offline Euph59

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2005, 11:00:45 AM »
Ok, I've got to add my 2 cents...
I've been reading and playing music longer than I can remember.
I started at 8years old, plaing the Descant Recorder (stop laughing! [:p]).  When I got to secondary school (UK. 6th grade I think it would be stateside) I was amongst a group of kids from my year that were tested for their musical aptitude. Basically the cream were cherry picked to play brand new woodwind/string or brass instruments for school bands across the town.  I got a Flute.  After 12 months (of near torture from my tutor) I quit but was offered a brass instrument by the Head of Music.  So, I played Euphonium (hence my handle) for a couple (huhum lots) of years.

While that was going on, I was bought an acoustic guitar by my parents.  
Time marches on, I'm now 46, haven't played Euph for several years but something drove me to buy a Bass Guitar.  I'm so glad I did.  I am truely enjoying this as much as I have ever enjoyed my music.  It's given me a (musical) purpose for the first time in years.

I get some stick from my younger brother Get down in the engine room bassman etc.  Which is quite amusing considering he's only just started to play guitar and has never shown any aptitude whatsoever musically.  I just smile knowingly at him [;)]

So, there's my bio. Is there a point? Yes.

If you want recognition, sing or play lead (preferably sing and play bass lol).  If you want to keep the band together, making the music work and being the true foundation of the band and enjoying yoursef in the process, play the bass
[:D]

Sorry it this has been a bit of an epic.  My second job is as an itinerant story teller [:D][:D][:D]

Offline aggiebass

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 11:46:06 AM »
I play country. I know that this style of music is not always bass friendly when it comes to recognition, but I simply like the fact of being the backbone for my guitar player to get that recognition.  Someone once told me its not the times you play that make you great its the times you don't play.  If the bass player played during a guitrists solo it would take away from the guitarist.  Another thing someone told me. To a person just listening (that does not play an instrument)if they can hear the bass then you messed up.  I do not consider myself a wonderful bass player so for those of you out there who are better then me you may disagree.
Brian T. Anderson

Offline Muy Gordo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 08:39:06 PM »
Well, bassists are not usually as crazy, when playing or after shows. Most of the time, they don't play the most memorable parts of songs. And they don't really ever solo, or go nuts.
I'd rather go hunting with Cheney than go driving with Ted Kennedy