Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1992 D-12BR  (Read 4299 times)

Offline zaph17

• View Profile
1992 D-12BR
« on: November 11, 2014, 03:39:27 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure how vintage or rare this guitar is, but I didn't find much about it online.  Anyway, here's the story: I was checking on Craigslist again and there was a no photo ad for a Washburn acoustic for $60 bucks (in the text of the ad the amount was $80). 

I was curious and I sent the seller a text asking what kind of Washburn it was, model number, etc.  He texted me back saying, "I dont see the number on it but it says washburn on the headstock george washburn."  I asked him if he could send me a picture and he sent a grainy photo of what looked like a vintage Washburn.  I met him the next day, saw that the guitar had a few scratches and dings, but nothing major, and bought it for $60.

This poor Washburn was really dirty, had old strings with one missing, and a black pickguard that was coming up in a couple of spots.  I cleaned and polished the entire thing, oiled the fretboard (twice cuz it soaked up the first application), and used a very effective scratch remover to take care of a lot of the finish problems.  I had to re-glue the nut (it fell off when I removed the old strings), replace the black pickguard with a tortoiseshell pickguard that I cut myself, replace the saddle, adjust the truss rod, and tap down a high fret.  Now all is good.

One last thing: This D-12BR has a surprisingly good sound, even when compared with my solid top guitars.  Not super loud, but it has a nice, full tone.  Here are some pictures.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: 1992 D-12BR
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 06:49:07 PM »
That's a very nicely finished Washburn...it's a dreadnought size guitar and is all laminate construction. 

I like the feel of a volute  on the back side of the neck...that sort of three sided pyramid structure.  It's a nice touch.

Congratulations on your acquisition...I think it was well worth the price you paid.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 06:50:08 PM »
That's a very nicely finished Washburn...it's a dreadnought size guitar and is all laminate construction. 

I like the feel of a volute  on the back side of the neck...that sort of three sided pyramid structure.  It's a nice touch.

Congratulations on your acquisition...I think it was well worth the price you paid.

If it has a label with a serial number...or a serial number stamped on the neck-block inside the body, perhaps one of our historians can give you some production information on it.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline zaph17

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 07:06:03 PM »
It has a stamp on the neck block that reads 9206031.  Right underneath the number is stamped D-12BR.  I'm thinking it's a 1992 model, but I don't know any more than that.  I'd be interested in whatever else anyone can tell me about this guitar.  And I'm with you; I love the volute on the neck.  There's something about it that gives even an all laminate guitar a nice feel and that vintage vibe.  It's probably all in my mind, but there it is. 

I really like this little guitar.   :D

Thanks!

Offline zaph17

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 01:01:00 AM »
I gave this Washburn to my son-in-law.  He liked the guitar and needed a vintage vibe.

That's all.   :)