Username: Password:

Author Topic: Finish on D10SB  (Read 3157 times)

Offline beararms

• View Profile
Finish on D10SB
« on: November 29, 2014, 07:41:15 AM »
I've searched google trying to determine what type of finish Washburn used on these acoustics. I couldn't find anything with certainty stating whether it was a nitro or poly finish. Does anyone have an idea which finish they used on the D10SB's? If not, how could I go about testing the finish and what would I use to test on poly and nitro finishes?
Thanks!

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
Re: Finish on D10SB
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 02:40:53 PM »
No need to test.  The finish is poly.

Offline beararms

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 04:18:40 PM »
No need to test.  The finish is poly.
Thanks. I have a few small dings on it that I'm wanting to repair. Can the dings be filled with just super glue or is there a need to use acetone and super glue both?

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 05:49:59 PM »
beararms, could you post up a few photos of that D10SB, please.

This request is not related to the finish...EvenKeel would know that for certain!

I'd like to see the back of the guitar...wondering if the "B" stands for Black or Blue or....perhaps "Bubinga", a very unusual wood.

I think the D10SQB was the "Qiilted Bubinga" model, but if you could post a few pics that confusion would be over for sure!

Now...back to the topic at hand...

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline beararms

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 06:01:25 PM »
beararms, could you post up a few photos of that D10SB, please.

This request is not related to the finish...EvenKeel would know that for certain!

I'd like to see the back of the guitar...wondering if the "B" stands for Black or Blue or....perhaps "Bubinga", a very unusual wood.

I think the D10SQB was the "Qiilted Bubinga" model, but if you could post a few pics that confusion would be over for sure!

Now...back to the topic at hand...

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
Not sure how to post pics here. I looked for the how to section and couldn't find it. I can tell you though, the guitar is solid black front, back and sides. No graphic stripe on the back. The tag in the sound hole says D10SB.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
More info:
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 11:26:44 PM »
Thanks...that answers my question. The "B" is for Black...it takes the Q  in front of the B to mean Bubinga wood. The only variety of Bubinga ever offered, IIRC, was a quilted pattern.

You have a very nice beginners to mid-level guitar. I've had black guitars in the past and everyone wants to play them...as if the fact they are black makes them play or feel or sound better. Gave one away to a deserving young musician with promise, still have the electric. Even though you can't see the secondary woods, ithey are laminated and most likely they are either mahogany or sapele (a variety of mahogany), as were almost all D10S guitars. If you want Rosewood sides and backs, you have to buy the "Deluxe" model D10SDL, The sounhdboard is spruce...nice wood for pick work, tolerates being played hard very well.

Tom will know about the D10S models...he's had a bunch of nice ones.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline beararms

• View Profile
Re: More info:
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 06:45:53 PM »
Thanks...that answers my question. The "B" is for Black...it takes the Q  in front of the B to mean Bubinga wood. The only variety of Bubinga ever offered, IIRC, was a quilted pattern.

You have a very nice beginners to mid-level guitar. I've had black guitars in the past and everyone wants to play them...as if the fact they are black makes them play or feel or sound better. Gave one away to a deserving young musician with promise, still have the electric. Even though you can't see the secondary woods, ithey are laminated and most likely they are either mahogany or sapele (a variety of mahogany), as were almost all D10S guitars. If you want Rosewood sides and backs, you have to buy the "Deluxe" model D10SDL, The sounhdboard is spruce...nice wood for pick work, tolerates being played hard very well.

Tom will know about the D10S models...he's had a bunch of nice ones.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
They are nice guitars. I'm still curious about the sound hole graphic. I guess there isn't an answer to that one.
This one has a solid top, mahogony back, sides and neck with rosewood board. It currently has a plastic saddle which will eventually be upgraded to a tusq.