Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn/Daion/Yamaki connection - info needed  (Read 9230 times)

Offline Mbechmann

• View Profile
Washburn/Daion/Yamaki connection - info needed
« on: December 14, 2014, 10:25:19 PM »
Hi everybody.
I am not sure I am in the right part of the forum. If I am not, would an admin move it to the right place?

Now to the point. I am a huge Daion fan (and Washburn fan). Doing the last couple of days, we have been talking about Daion serial numbers in the Facebook group.

Doing that, I think we stumbled across proof about the Washburn/Daion/Yamaki connection. We have been collection Daion serials for a while so we had a lot of info. However we still couldnt conclude anything.

Here is what we have so far:
First 2 digits are the year.
Second 2 are either week or production run.
The last 2 are consecutive numbers. Maybe production number in that week.
E may mean End of series run.
F could mean first run

Doing this, I did a google search, and came across a Washburn Eagle on ebay. That sn is 802051. It looks exactly like a Daion number.

So, first, why would a Washburn have an identical serial number, unless it was build on the same factory?
Second, can you guys confirm the week info, by maybe posting Washburn Wings serials?

Lets see if we can figure out these serials together  :D

PS. I had a Washburn Wing bass in 96-99. Heavy big time, but sounded amazing.

Offline carl300367

• View Profile
Re: Washburn/Daion/Yamaki connection - info needed
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 09:10:32 AM »
i thought they were linked by same factory - i have an Eagle and a falcon the numbers are

Eagle - 812616
Falcon - 800366

hope this might help
1981 Eagle
1980 falcon
1980 hawk
1984 tokai superstrat
1984 tokai love rock

Offline Mbechmann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 09:22:14 AM »
i thought they were linked by same factory - i have an Eagle and a falcon the numbers are

Eagle - 812616
Falcon - 800366

hope this might help

They are linked - being build on the same factory. And yes, it does help. A lot actually.

The falcon is ones again proof that in week 3 1980, they build Washburn.

We also dont have any Daions being build in 8126 - Week 26 1981. Actually, the next production number for Daion is 8130, and the week before 8125.

Offline Mbechmann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 05:44:28 AM »
Big news coming REALLY soon. I think we have cracked the serial number code. We also managed to find a contact at the factory, so now we will get to confirm what we are thinking.

A little start. The numbers indicate that the instruments were made in  production runs of 10-15. We know for a fact that only 500 Daions were made in 1983 in total. Numbers seems to indicate that only 200 Mk.XX and 100 Mk.X were made. The rest is spread out through the other models.
Numbers also indicate that special short runs were made - custom builds. Here the serial number have a letter.

There is more... Much more actually. But we need to confirm this before posting it.

My guess is that what we are seeing for Daions, translates directly to Washburn as well.  :D

Our list right now is 190 Daions and 10 Washburns. Gotta get some more Washburns  ;D

If we are right in our theory, my guess is that the value of these instruments will go through the roof.  :D

Offline Mbechmann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 12:17:36 PM »
Big news coming REALLY soon. I think we have cracked the serial number code. We also managed to find a contact at the factory, so now we will get to confirm what we are thinking.

A little start. The numbers indicate that the instruments were made in  production runs of 10-15. We know for a fact that only 500 Daions were made in 1983 in total. Numbers seems to indicate that only 200 Mk.XX and 100 Mk.X were made. The rest is spread out through the other models.
Numbers also indicate that special short runs were made - custom builds. Here the serial number have a letter.

There is more... Much more actually. But we need to confirm this before posting it.

My guess is that what we are seeing for Daions, translates directly to Washburn as well.  :D

Our list right now is 190 Daions and 10 Washburns. Gotta get some more Washburns  ;D

If we are right in our theory, my guess is that the value of these instruments will go through the roof.  :D

Have had a huge set back. The contact at the factory did indeed help. Not just the way we thought. He had been working there for a long time, but could inform us that we were on the wrong factory. It was not the Dyna Gakki factory as we thought. We thought there were 3 factories working together. This was a big setback.

Then we stroke a bit of luck. We found a Japanese website that with the help of Google translate we found out that Daion and Washburn Wing series were made on the Yamaki factory. The translation isnt that great, so we are getting that confirmed. There is a lot of info about the factory and that it moved to different locations. Suwa was the first location place of production but the original location was Nakasu. In late 83 they moved HQ to Shiga but stayed in Suwa for the production. This will also explain the Matsumoku/Matsumoto confusion, as well. It's only about 20 miles outside Matsumoto.

The reason why it is really difficult to find any info, is that the Yamaki factory went under in 2002.

All this info will help us get a contact that can confirm our theory about the serial numbers  :)

Offline carl300367

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 06:56:59 AM »
could have told you that anyway

in most wing series guitars the circuit board says Yamaki
1981 Eagle
1980 falcon
1980 hawk
1984 tokai superstrat
1984 tokai love rock

Offline Mbechmann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 10:25:14 AM »
could have told you that anyway

in most wing series guitars the circuit board says Yamaki

Hehe I know.  :P I think the new part of this is that the serial numbers for Washburn is consequential numbers from Daion. What we are seeing is that there are 30 Daion numbers, then 15 Washburn numbers, then 15 Daion, then 30 Washburn. So the numbers are linked that way. It is why we can add both Washburn and Daion serials into 1 list  ;D

Offline Mbechmann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 09:42:33 AM »
I just wanted to let you know what we have been digging deep into the history of Yamaki/Washburn and Daion.

Just to mention a few teasers:

1. We have been able to confirm the exact address where the instruments was build
2. We have been able to confirm 2 of the master luthiers building these instruments - including a big surprise as well.
3. We have been able to add a lot of info about the history of these instruments.

Right now we are getting approval from the people that confirmed these things + we are confirming 2 more details. When that is done, we will go public with this info. Trust me, there are some HUGE surprises hidden here.

:D

Offline OwariAsahi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 12:53:18 PM »
What ever happened to this?

Offline Mbechmann

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 01:01:29 PM »
What ever happened to this?

Its still pending. We are right now in contact with a couple of ppl from Japan that is getting the whole story confirmed by the ppl that worked there. Thats hy we have pushed the publication of everything a bit. Right now we have confirmed about 80% of the info we have dug up. So it is getting closer  :)

Offline DUPS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 05:36:54 AM »
Hi Guys

I need some help please. Any info to identify my Washburn Force30 Bass - serial number 842247. Someone told me that it was made in 1984 by Yamaki but that he thinks it has got Chushin hardware.

I've tried google and with no luck, I couldn't find even one picture that looks similar to my Force30, no info nothing. Further more I couldn't even find one picture of a Force30?

I really hope that you guys can help me with the history of this beautiful bass.

Thanx

Offline Mbechmann

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 06:17:01 AM »
The serial number points towards both Chushin and Yamaki. The reality is that it can actually be both. It can be that some parts are Yamaki and some are Chushin. Yamaki went under in early 84 and Chushin bought the pieces that was left. Chushin than finished the instruments and sold them. If parts was missing Chushin used their own parts.

What style does the serial number have? Is it stamped into the neck or is it a sticker or is it on the back plate?

Offline DUPS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 06:28:55 AM »
Thanks.

The serial number is on the back plate. Is there any way I can post pictures here? If not I can send them via email.

Offline Mbechmann

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 06:34:05 AM »
The backplate was used by Chushin only. Yamaki never did that. It confirms that Chushin build yours - or at least assembled it.

As for pics. When you click Reply you have a small icon on the left side second row called: Insert Image. That should be it