Username: Password:

Author Topic: Davies N4 on ebay ... ooh how I'd love to ...  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Tiddulicious

• View Profile
Davies N4 on ebay ... ooh how I'd love to ...
« on: January 08, 2015, 12:52:52 PM »
Hey guys, if I had the money...

For those of you who do:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Washburn-N4-Nuno-Bettencourt-Signature-Guitar-Davies-era-NR-/251784073176?ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:DE:1120

It is modified and it's said to be a Davies and from what I've learned here, it might be. Didn't check it in detail though.

Greetz from germany

Offline sdmfer

• View Profile
Re: Davies N4 on ebay ... ooh how I'd love to ...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 04:41:30 PM »
saw that while poking around on ebay last night funny enough. I dont like how the body is SO noticable that its two piece. I found that weird. I'd buy it for 800 bucks myself, but, more than that....meh...

Offline RatFink

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 11:56:27 AM »
Pretty sure it is actually a 3 pc body.
I'm wondering if it had a solid finish on it at one time and then was striped down to bare wood.

Offline skeesik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 12:19:50 PM »
There are a whole lot of little things about this one that just didn't seem quite right with me. 

I don't see the back of the headstock stamped "Made in USA" (unless it's stamped someplace else)  That would have been required if the instrument were exported from this country....

As sdmfer noted..... the huge grain mismatch....I've never seen one this bad, even on a black N-4 that has been stripped and refinished to natural.

I hope the buyer doesn't get burned on this one.

Yeah, the grain mismatch is pretty big.  But, here's a thought:  When the guitar was built, it's possible that both  (or all three) pieces of wood may have had a very similar hue, but have since aged differently to the color difference e we see in the photos.  I can't imagine if Davies would have put two visually mismatch pieces together (albeit tonally similar) and thought, "yeah, that looks good!".  Who knows....
*skee

Offline sdmfer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 07:38:10 PM »
Can I just say god dammit. when I was 16 I bought my '91 N2 brand new. I really wanted the N4 but iirc at the time it was 12 or 1500 bucks. Looking back I should have saved my pennies a little more for a what would then be a brand new davies n4. Paid 720 bucks for my N2 at the time. ok rant over. lol

Offline lancewhite

• View Profile
    • http://guysnightout.com