Username: Password:

Author Topic: The RO10E?  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
The RO10E?
« on: January 19, 2015, 10:20:01 AM »
Just read a short article stating that Washburn will be introducing at NAMM 2015 an augmented version of the Rover. It's to be called the RO10E, (maybe the first to carry a permanent pickup?) The article says that the microphone is placed inside the body under the bridge and accessed via an end pin jack. Kinda reminds one of the old EZ microphone pickup. If this is a pickup that is mounted in the factory... would it cut out the pain in the A process of removing the EZ mic to change batteries? Hmmm, wondering if these pickups will run on batteries? Now...if Washburn could only put out a decent, inexpensive, hardcase, for the Rover..maybe Rover lovers would be set..huh.  ;) Does anyone have any more info on this?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:24:31 AM by Sextant1951 »

Offline cspan

• View Profile
Re: The RO10E?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 08:48:04 PM »
Youtube already has a short spot about it:

http://youtu.be/IXi2k696TF4

It sure looks to me that all they're doing is combining the $165-$175 R10 and the $25 W-ROMP EZ Microphone pickup. $200. UK pricing is about $285 equivalent now, but then again, many things in the UK are more costly. And if it is merely the combination of the two, I think you can expect to have to remove it to change batteries.

I don't know about you but I find it picks up the sound of the back of the guitar brushing against my shirt. Perhaps that's normal for internal mics - esp. if one is plugging in straight and not EQ-ing it or otherwise shaping the sound.

I too would like a case option that lasts longer - see my post in previous thread. The zipper pull tabs on my rover cases seem to be made of pot metal - they're crumbling after 5 yrs. The cases themselves have rather little wear. Definitely has led me to reconsider my travel guitar options.

Offline Sextant1951

• View Profile
Re: The RO10E?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 05:30:05 AM »
Thanks so much for your reply...I think your thoughts are correct ...that Washburn is combining the RO10 with the Romp...might be a cool marketing idea, but; I don't think (at least for those who have owned a RO10 and the Romp for a while) that there is anything really "new" going on here. Like you I have experienced slight sounds from brushing the Rover against the body or arm with the Romp in use, I'm thinking it's more because of the internal mic being used in a small cavity that produces this, never got it from brushing a larger guitar with an internal mic across my shirt....but, oddly I've also experienced (at times) some small audible sounds..a type of creaking, or bumping sounds, (with endearment, when I hear these sounds I say the Rover is "barking" ...my words only) so to speak when playing the Rover even without the Romp in play. The sounds are so slight that I'm sure no one else can hear it, but if you're moving it across the body or your arm is moving across the Rover, between playing... you sometimes surely can. I've read online (reviews from other Rover owners) that these sounds are "really" picked up with the use of any type of contact microphone pickup on the sound board. I don't hear these sounds from my other acoustic guitars...maybe because the Rover is small and more compact, the sounds are more distinct. Like you, about a year ago I was looking for a more durable case for my Rover (not that I was having any problems with the case, just wanted a better case for it)...so I wrote Washburn CS and they replied that at this time the only case that they could suggest, is the case that comes with the Rover when bought and or a replacement case if that one wears out. Even thought about having one made, but the cost would surely override the cost of the Rover. Also thought about modding an old mandolin or ukulele case...still might try that if I can find one big/long enough. If Washburn stays with the case that they have for the Rover, it might be a good idea to get rid of the zipper...and find a way to make good use of Velcro for opening and closing, it could work better in the long run...particularly for the buyer/owner.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 05:37:39 AM by Sextant1951 »