Username: Password:

Author Topic: 1995 Dana Bourgeois Savanah price check  (Read 3924 times)

Offline amac

• View Profile
1995 Dana Bourgeois Savanah price check
« on: January 20, 2015, 07:43:16 PM »
Hi all.  I have found a mint condition, case kept 1995 Dana Bourgeois edition Washburn. It's beautiful!  There are no scratches, dents, cracks or any blemishe whatsoever. I've been searching the Internet for recent or current sales and can find none. I was hoping someone here could help me with some price guidance on what this should cost.

From what I've learned, this is made of Koa (back and sides), has beautiful pearl inlay on the pins and fret board and only 50 were made. Based on the s/n, the last two numbers are 04. I believe that means this is the fourth one produced. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Amac

Offline amac

• View Profile
Re: 1995 Dana Bourgeois Savanah price check
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 11:50:11 AM »
Wow, this guitar is proving to be a mystery.  I'm wondering how the person selling it came up with a price.  Any help or feedback is appreciated.  For instance, is this a desirable guitar?  Personally, the guitar plays like a dream, sounds great and has the looks of an expertly made guitar.  I'd love to bring it home, but need to know if I'm paying the right price.  Thanks again.

Amac

Offline amac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 04:17:17 PM »
He's asking $2,500.  I only took a picture of the serial number.  However, when I say this guitar is in near mint condition with no scratches, dings or dents... it's perfect for a 1995.  I haven't asked if any alterations or repairs were made, but will before making a final decision.  My assumption is this is the original guitar.  The seller also runs a guitar shop and seems very meticulous about his gear.  He's just cleaning out the closet.  Any estimate on value is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

amac

Offline amac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 11:10:08 AM »

Your opinion is all that matters though....is the guitar you're looking at worth $ 2,500.00 to you?

This is the magic question.  From looking around at other manufacturers and trying to compare guitars with similar wood (Koa tops), herringbone binding, pearl inlay and bone/ebony bridge, nut, fret and pins this is a smoking hot deal.  Bourgeois guitars of today with this much custom work run $4k +.  Martins would run $6k+.  I looked at Collins and Taylor as well and again the details put into this guitar are costly in today's dollars.

Thanks for your input.  My next move will be to see if he'll let me bring it home to play it for the weekend.  : )

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 01:27:30 PM »
Would love a report if/when you get a chance to take some pics and have a chance to play this guitar.  Unfortunately for sellers (but good news for buyers) the DB built Washburns just do not get the attention other boutique guitars get.  If you believe the blue book values then a Savannah in top shape is worth about $1,200-$1,500.  But, as Jim has noted you will likely need to fork over a bit more to get one.  You cannot get close to a DB, slope shoulder dread for anywhere near that price.

This blue book info is several years old, but guitar values have not crept up much over the last few years. 
D56 SW SAVANNAH (US MFG.)
- Southern Jumbo style, solid Sitka spruce top, solid curly koa back and sides, herringbone rope-style binding and rosette, mahogany neck, 14/20-fret ebony fingerboard with pearl crown inlay, pearl headstock logo with three-per-side chrome tuners, ebony Butterfly bridge, tortoise pickguard, Natural finish, mfg. 1996 only.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
N/A $1,200 - 1,500 $700 - 850
Last MSR was $3,000.

Offline amac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 02:07:54 PM »
Wow.  Great info evenkeel.  You are absolutely right about these not getting any love.  And that may be a reason I don't make the purchase.  I'm looking to purchase this guitar for several reasons, first of which is to play it!  Secondly, I'd like to pick something up that will not just hold value, but appreciate.  It seems only Martin's and old Gibson's get that kind'a love.  I'm sure there are other guitar lines that have appreciated, but these seem to be the main players.  Anyway, the Savanah is truly a work of art!  And the sound is magnificent.  If I get it home, I'll take lots of pictures and post them up.

Thanks again for the info and all the help.

amac

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 03:08:33 PM »
Your comment re: a "guitar that will appreciate in value" got me to thinking a bit.  My mother used to own an art consulting business and also ran a very successful gallery.  Her advice re: buying art as an investment.  "Don't".  Her view was you should buy a piece of art because you love it.  If it turns to be a good investment well that's just a bonus.  The same thing applies to guitars, antiques, cabbage patch dolls or any other so called collectible.

On a more pragmatic level the "Vintage Guitar Price Guide" also shows that investing in guitars is a risky proposition at best.  Back in 2007/08 the guitar market took the same hit in value as did the real estate market.  The guitar market has been much slower to rebound.  Some numbers I pulled form past editions.

The 2008 VGPG gave a 1970-78 Martin D-28 a value of $1,900 - 2,200
in 2013 the same guitar has a value of $1,900 to $2,400.

The 2008 VGPG gave a 70-79 Guild F-512  $1,800 to $2,00
in 2013 the same Guild had a value of $1,600 to $1,900.  OUCH!!!

A 75-79 Gibson J-45.  in 2008 $1,100 - $1,300.  In 2013  1,100 to $1,400

Even the holy grail guitars, A prewar Martin D-45 or a '59 Les Paul burst took a good hit.

So, if you can scoop up a 1971 D-28 for $500, go for it.  But that is not really investing, that's getting a deal. 

Offline amac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 01:34:29 PM »
Your comment re: a "guitar that will appreciate in value" got me to thinking a bit.  My mother used to own an art consulting business and also ran a very successful gallery.  Her advice re: buying art as an investment.  "Don't".  Her view was you should buy a piece of art because you love it.  If it turns to be a good investment well that's just a bonus.  The same thing applies to guitars, antiques, cabbage patch dolls or any other so called collectible.

On a more pragmatic level the "Vintage Guitar Price Guide" also shows that investing in guitars is a risky proposition at best.  Back in 2007/08 the guitar market took the same hit in value as did the real estate market.  The guitar market has been much slower to rebound.  Some numbers I pulled form past editions.

The 2008 VGPG gave a 1970-78 Martin D-28 a value of $1,900 - 2,200
in 2013 the same guitar has a value of $1,900 to $2,400.

The 2008 VGPG gave a 70-79 Guild F-512  $1,800 to $2,00
in 2013 the same Guild had a value of $1,600 to $1,900.  OUCH!!!

A 75-79 Gibson J-45.  in 2008 $1,100 - $1,300.  In 2013  1,100 to $1,400

Even the holy grail guitars, A prewar Martin D-45 or a '59 Les Paul burst took a good hit.

So, if you can scoop up a 1971 D-28 for $500, go for it.  But that is not really investing, that's getting a deal.

Great advice here!  You're right, I took a step back and asked myself if ONE, I truly liked the looks of the guitar; TWO, do I like the sound of the guitar; and THREE, will owning this guitar fully satisfy my personal ego of guitar ownership.  Meaning, will I be left wanting?  One and two are a yes, but three is a no, for me.  I've decided to pass on this beautiful work of art.  If anyone is interested, send me an email and I can hook you up with the owner. 

Thanks again for all the feedback.  I really appreciate the support.

amac