Username: Password:

Author Topic: New pots for my HB35  (Read 1741 times)

Offline giantlaser

• View Profile
New pots for my HB35
« on: January 03, 2015, 12:35:34 PM »
I got HB35 a while ago, and off the serialnumber it seems to me from 2009; DC09100015
I would like to upgrade the electronics but wondering does this guitar need large shaft of long shaft. I realize that long shaft is mostly MIUSA Gibsons, while this guy is most likely China like the epiphones.

Just wanted to make sure.

Many thanks in advance!

Offline C-RAM

• View Profile
Re: New pots for my HB35
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 09:00:55 AM »
The HB-35, like most imports, uses pots with 6mm bushings.  If you really want to 'upgrade', consider purchasing a step drill and slightly enlarging your control cavity holes to 3/8". It's very easy to do,  won't mar your finish or devalue your guitar. Then, you'll have an array of higher-quality potentiometers to choose from, like CTS, Bourns, Allen-Bradley, etc.  Stay away from anything 'long shaft'.

There are also companies like Mojotone, that sell pre-wired harnesses made of high-quality components that require little soldering; pretty much drop in assemblies.

I've enlarged the 6mm control holes in a number of my guitars - two Hofners, three Carvins, and both of my HB-32s; I got my step drill from Harbor Freight (5 or 6 bucks), and the enlargement is so slight, you don't even need a drill - I do it with my fingers.
My Washburns -

A-5, Black
A-5, Yellow
A-10, Black Translucent
A-10, Red Translucent
A-10, Green Translucent
A-20 Reissue, Honey Burst
HB-30, Tobacco Sunburst
HB-30DL
HB-32DM
HB-35, Natural
HB-45WHK
J-6S, Natural
T-14 Taurus Bass

Offline giantlaser

• View Profile
Re: New pots for my HB35
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 08:49:17 AM »
Hey,

Thanks very much for your feedback. I can imagine it's nice to be able to choose from the pots you mentioned. Yet with metric measurements, and living in a metric world here in Belgium I guess the way to go is probably still with metric alpha pots or something.

The mojotone deal does look tempting though....