Username: Password:

Author Topic: Restoring an XB-600  (Read 2907 times)

Offline cmor

• View Profile
Restoring an XB-600
« on: February 02, 2015, 10:41:20 AM »
Hello All! I'm new around these parts.
I recently picked up an old XB-600 body & neck, no metal besides the frets. I need help identifying the components needed to bring it back to life. I'm also submitting pics & whatnot to Support to see if somebody there can help out.
The facts: according to the serial number, it was made in '95; I believe alder w/ ash top natural finish. I'm looking to go as stock as possible since quite a few of you remark on how good they sound. I remember playing one many, many moons ago in a store, thinking I really dig this thing but I'm here for a new cab and can't afford a new bass too. I'll post pics as soon as I get them uploaded to service.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Offline cmor

• View Profile
Re: Restoring an XB-600
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 11:28:27 AM »
Think I got this figured out.

Anyway, any help in identifying what replacement part #'s  or comparable substitutes would be greatly appreciated.

Turns out I really like natural finish basses.

Again, thanks for any help
Steve

Offline SP_EB4L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 09:11:44 PM »
Good evening Steve,

and congratulation for your bass, now to get it back in it original conditions could be hard. The best bet for you is to go on eBay make a search on Washburn bass pickup and you surely found wiguitar seller. This guy got the best inventory of Washburn parts, pickups, bridges, tuners and nuts. I am sure that he had XB-600 parts in the past but I know that he sold a lot of parts recently. I also saw a seller (nam97) who sell a lot of Taurus series tuners that surely fit on the XB-600 as it's gotoh style like the original ones. That's my best advises and I hope it help you. You can also go on TalkBass Washburn owners club thread to get some infos.

Good luck!

Offline psp742

• buy, upgrade, learn to play.. yup!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 09:40:38 PM »
Hello cmor,

Welcome to the Washburn forum, like what SP_EB4L said there is a Washburn club in Talkbass.com..  I have a XB-600 with black quilt top, 94' I believe and made in Korea which is what I'm after.

Here are some pictures:

Jazz like pickups with 3-way switch, 3x knobs

look like Gotoh tuners

original bridge is angled a bit so I got an upgraded 6-string bridge (slightly wider than original but should work)
88 Force ABT B-30 MR
90 Festival EA20B
94 Bantam XB600 BkFlam
96 Bantam XB400 Bttrsctch
97 Maverick BT-4 Tobaccobrst
98 Maverick BTM MR/DMB
98 Bantam XB-500 Bk
98 Maverick BT-6 MtlFlkBk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
05 Xseries X-33 Bk
05 Idol WI64 Bk
05 Idol WI36 Bk
14 WCG18CE Na
84 Wing T-bird Brwnbrst

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 06:36:21 PM »
I think it's really cool to attempt ANY full-on salvage job like that.

...but it might be quite a chore -- both for searching out parts AND paying for them -- if you're going for a restoration, rather than just making a playable bass with available parts. If you want to take a GREAT (IMO!) body/neck combo & custom-build your ideal axe, that's tres cool 8)

Central to a resto would be the active EQ circuitry. I've seen two XB versions, one with all four pots mounted to a big circuit board. Finding this component could take a year or three AND cost you a few hundred USD.

Or you could buy an aftermarket kit or something salvaged , or just leave it off & make it passive.

Then, you'd need to locate suitable pickups. For the better XBs, every one I've seen has had "four-tab" pickups, J-type or double-J. Looks like your project has been carved out from a J-size -- which is fine, as you can likely now drop in something from EMG or Bartolini or whatever.

An EMG 45DC active set gives you two soapbar pickups, & four pots with all the electronics mounted & ready to plug together (solderless), so it's fast AND reliable AND there's about zero chance of messing anything up.

But there's that COST thing: if you dig around, you can probably find a new 45DC set for under $300.

And you're kinda buying blind. FWIW, my Warmoth has pretty much that identical EMG set (dual concentric knobs & all) &, truth to tell, I don't like the tone quite as much as what I get from my four-knob XBs.

Meanwhile, here's an XB-600 -- with all the hardware -- for $250 + s/h.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Washburn-Used-Washburn-XB600-Natural-Electric-Bass-Guitar-110687336-i4043050.gc
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/