Username: Password:

Author Topic: WI66ANC questions - oddities that are intriguing and I can't find info  (Read 1849 times)

Offline franzeee

• View Profile
    • http://www.FranzHoff.com
Greetings all! It's been a long time since I have been around. Hope I get a chance to say hi to some old compatriots! Couple of questions:

1) I recently purchased an Idol WI66ANC (Nick Cantanese signature) with the curly maple top and ugly (IMHO) evil twin red symbol. The truss rod cover has his signature instead of the model number as I have seen on every one I have been able to find a photo of. Is this a fluke? It says mde in Indonesia on it, so I know it is not a Custom Ship thing... Anyone else seen this?

2) There is another WI66ANC at a pawn shop near me that has MOP inlays that are rectangular with one side at a slight angle. I have a pic, but cannot seem to figure out how to add a photo...  I have not seen any Nick Cantonese Idols with inlays all the way down the neck. A couple with twelfth fret inlays, but not MOP either. Anyone have any idea of where it came from? It also says made in Indonesia on it. They've offered to let me have it for $450 (they paid $400 - showed me the invoice too). It's been sitting a long time and they're trying to unload it. Think I could turn it around for a profit on the bay? I don't see a lot of them around...

Thanks for any help and happy rocking to all!
Franz

"In having everything, we often find nothing; in having nothing, we often find everything."

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: WI66ANC questions - oddities that are intriguing and I can't find info
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 10:41:19 PM »
I'll ping a few people to see if there's any input. Maybe the weekend.

Can you make a profit on eBay? Probably -- okay, it might take a year, or three, but it CAN be done.

If you're looking to get rich... nah, not gonna happen.

Buy a guitar to PLAY, or because it'd break your heart to NOT bring it home. If you just want to flip 'm, you have to be prepared to possibly have your cash tied up illiquid for extended periods, & maybe even take a loss just to have closet space.

I have a herd, true enough, but my hobby is taking in used, broken, & neglected axes -- you'd be surprised how often someone hands me one for free, grateful that it's not rotting in the attic & instead going to someone who loves guitars, & understanding I may sell it fora couple hundred bucks. But I have the space & the patience.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/

Offline franzeee

• View Profile
    • http://www.FranzHoff.com
Re: WI66ANC questions - oddities that are intriguing and I can't find info
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 03:17:57 PM »
Thanks for putting the feelers out! I don't look to get rich off of buying and selling. More just for the fun of finding new toys. Some I keep and others just go towards others.
The uniqueness of the inlays on the Pawn Shop guitar makes me think it might be unique enough to flip for a little cash.
I've been storming eBay for broken and abused machines and locally, myself; having discovered the joy of true frankensteining (ala steampunk-ish) altering. It's a visual art aspect to guitar that I had never explored and I am loving it. To make something that plays nicely and is unique and crazy to look at is fun.
Franz

"In having everything, we often find nothing; in having nothing, we often find everything."