Username: Password:

Author Topic: D10SZ  (Read 1742 times)

Offline tedder

• View Profile
D10SZ
« on: February 23, 2015, 05:24:44 AM »
Hey all...I have the opportunity to swap an older electric guitar of mine for a D10SZ  serial # CD05121150  Made In China.
I know this has a solid spruce top but can anyone tell me if the sides and back are solid zebrawood? Or, at this price point
I assume it's laminated or plywood sides and back? And would this have bone or tusq saddle and nut as opposed to plastic ?
From what I can gather it was made in 2005 ??
TIA
Tedder
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:28:12 AM by tedder »

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: D10SZ
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 05:49:59 AM »
Yes, as you suspected the D10SZ has a solid wood top and laminate sides and back, in this case Zebrawood.  Washburn released a few "rare-woods" models and IIRC this was one of them.

It's not a bad axe...the D10S models are highly respected around here for their value. They were well made guitars, but did not come with bone or Tusq saddle or nut from the factory, so most likely yours are still the plastic saddle and nut from the factory. Having said that, replacing the saddle is the single most recommended upgrade we see here on the forum, and some people replace the nut at the same time they replace the saddle...but not most, because the nut replacement is much more expensive (it requires specialized files to get the slots right and most often is a job left to a luthier) and the majority of the tonal improvement comes from the saddle, which is more of a DIY project. You can check them with a hot sewing needle...get the tip red hot and poke the side of the saddle with the hot needle and if it's plastic the needle will melt its way into the saddle, if it's bone it won't. Tusq...well, I'm not sure about that, but Tusq has been a popular recommendation around here, too.

From the serial number, I think you're right about the guitar being made in 2005.

We don't see many zebrawood models around here....could you post up some photos?

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:53:40 AM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE, WMJ11S(now gifted),WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline tedder

• View Profile
Re: D10SZ
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 06:38:04 AM »
Many thanks for your reply. I only have a couple images from the seller. Do we know what method the Chinese factory would have used to attach the neck to the body ?
I worry that it's doweled making any neck re-set down the road just about impossible? I've been down the neck re-set road a time or two being the original owner of a couple dreadnaught Martins. A D-28 from the late 60's and a 77 D-35. Eventually they ALL need one I have found. Truss rod and saddle adjustment can only take you so far as far as playability and intonation go.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:59:12 AM by tedder »