Username: Password:

Author Topic: D10CE Replica?  (Read 1350 times)

Offline nickbroox

• View Profile
D10CE Replica?
« on: March 03, 2015, 07:16:23 PM »
I've got a Washburn acoustic that I absolutely love, Acoustic Electric, Cutaway, Vintage Sunburst, Grover Keys, etc. Sticker says D10CE... I'm trying to do some research and would like to be able to identify the "look" or "style" of this guitar and since Washburn has a history of making replicas, I was wondering if the D10 was designed after or made to look like something else. Thanks so much, love this forum!!

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: D10CE Replica?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 09:56:16 AM »
Well, what I can tell you about the "style" is that your guitar is a square-shouldered dreadnought design (a large bodied guitar, perhaps eclipsed only by the Jumbo models). I can tell you that it is more or less Washburn's "entry level" model...it is all-laminate construction, which for an acoustic-electric model is not necessarily a bad thing. For playing plugged in the "sound" will be dependent on the pickup and associated electronics more so than the tonewoods used and the level of materials used in the construction.

While the information found on the website listed below says solid wood top, Washburn is pretty specific in their model designations when there is any solid-wood used in the construction. Most D10 models seemed to have solid wood tops, and when that happens the model designation carries an "S", so a D01SCE would have the solid wood soundboard, but the D10CE would not.

http://www.wikizic.org/Washburn-D10CE/

In general, the D10 series is pretty well respected around here due to their excellent sound at the price point. Your guitar would have a "select" spruce top (Washburn's terminology for a laminate soundboard) and laminate mahogany sides and back.

Overall, it's nice piece...not the highest level of construction, but certainly a great beginner guitar, and certainly a great choice for a campfire guitar because of the all laminate construction...not as fragile, so less chance of damage should it get knocked over around the campfire, that sort of thing.

As for being any sort of replica...no, not really, it was a very highly produced Washburn model. At one point Washburn made some models with a Martin-style headstock and IIRC those were the "replica" models about which we've heard.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S.
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC