Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn D 12SCE  (Read 6084 times)

Offline framus57

• View Profile
Washburn D 12SCE
« on: March 12, 2015, 02:09:06 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum so I hope I am posting in the right place but here goes. I have just bought a used Washburn D 12SCE and I'm trying to find out a bit more about the woods used in its manufacture. I have seen something on YouTube which says that it has a solid spruce top but looking at the guitar I have I'm not sure about that. The serial number is 97090053 and the label shows no country of origin. All it says is "this guitar is made using the world's best tone woods" "Washburn world's finest guitars since 1883".
If anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

Modify message

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Washburn D 12SCE
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 04:18:09 PM »
Does the serial number on the paper label inside the sound hole have a couple of letters in front of it? That is usually how we figure out where the guitars are made.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline framus57

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 10:23:09 AM »
Hi, Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately there is only the serial number on the label. No letters at all. However, I am resident in the UK and I presume that the guitar was bought here originally so I don't know if that makes a difference. The thing that really interests me is whether it has a solid top and as the guitar has an all  black finish it's difficult to judge from looking at  the grain inside the soundhole whether it goes right through. (If that makes any sense)

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 11:45:57 AM »
Here is some info on your D12SCE

D12 CE
- single rounded cutaway dreadnought style, spruce top, round soundhole, black pickguard, threestripe bound body and rosette, mahogany back/sides/neck, 14/20-fret rosewood fingerboard with pearl dot inlay/pearl W inlay at 12th fret, rosewood bridge with pearl dot black pins, three-per-side chrome diecast tuners, piezo bridge pickup, volume/tone control, three-band EQ, Equis Standard preamp, available in Black, Natural, Tobacco Sunburst, White, or Woodstone Brown finish, mfg. mid 1980s-1993.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
N/A $275 - 325 $150 - 200
Last MSR was $600.
D12 S CE
- similar to the D12 CE, except features a solid spruce top, available in Black or Natural finish, mfg.
1994-2000.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
$460 $285 - 335 $180 - 230
Last MSR was $629.

Serial numbers of that era did not tend to have letters at the beginning.  The first digit is the likely indicator of the year of manufacture, 1989.  It does have a solid wood top. 

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 11:52:35 AM »
Washburn is very consistent with the information in their model designations.  For yours the "D" stands for dreadnought, the body disign (a large body design, but not as large as a Jumbo). 12 is the "model" of dreadnought...last I heard the highest number being used was 84 and IIRC that was for a hand-made custom shop dread that used Hawaiian Koa in an all solid-wood special order guitar. I tried to order one but was denied some of the features I wanted....despite the fact that the luthier was anxious to meet my requests. That was a long time ago!

The next letter in your model designation, the "S", stands for "Solid wood soundboard". It's a big improvement compared to the laminated sound boards and so you can bet that Washburn wants you to know it....so, yes, the soundboard on your D12SCE is solid wood, not laminate.

The "CE" stands for "Cutaway" body style and "Electric", meaning it came fitted with electronics so you could play it plugged in.

Now, if the model number includes "SW" instead of just the "S", well, that's even better, because SW means it is an all solid wood guitar...for most of us who are guitaraholics, that's the item we're craving because solid wood guitars develop improved tone as they age...as do guitars with just a solid wood soundboard, as is yours. All laminate guitars are pretty much the best they'll ever be right out of the box.

So, to review:

D12=all laminate guitar, dreadnought body style

D12CE=all laminate guitar, dreadnought body style, cutaway design and onboard electronics.

D12S=laminate sides and back, dreadnought body style, with a solid wood soundboard.

D12SCE=laminate sides and back, solid wood soundboard, cutaway design and onboard electronics.

D12SW (not that there ever was one to my knowledge, but specified for the purposes of this review)=all solid wood guitar, dreadnought body style.

D12SWCE (again, never produced, just stated for comparisons)=all solid wood guitar, dreadnought body style, cutaway design with onboard electronics.

You can rest assured your D12SCE has a solid-wood soundboard...Washburn seems to be VERY consistent with this model designation format.

As for where it was produced, it's been a long time since Washburn produced their own acoustic guitars in the U.S. other than those produced in the now-defunct acoustic guitar custom shop. Without those letters in front of the serial number, it's impossible for us to be able to formulate even a guess. Throughout the years Washburn has had most of their acoustic model lines made in the orient, so we see serial numbers that start with SC (Samick, China), SI (Samick, Indonesia) and similar designations. In your case, perhaps an email to the Washburn customer service department might yield some answers...but as you said, Washburn does produce models that are intended for export to Europe and that we never see here in the U.S., so yours might be one of those. It will depend on whether or not the production information has been retained in their archives and if they can retrieve it for you.

Hope this helps!

I see Evenkeel has posted more information for you...whatever he says you can take to the bank, he's one of our most knowledgable historians!

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:55:32 AM by YerDugliness »
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline framus57

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 03:57:37 AM »
Thanks to both evenkeel and YerDugliness for such a fantastic amount of information on my guitar. When I asked the question I didn't really expect much response but this is a great deal more than I ever imagined. Thanks again for your replies and thanks for such a friendly forum.
Cheers from John from Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, England.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 11:05:55 AM »
Excellent overview, YD.

The letters sometimes take a little practice. My Southwest is a D46CESPK, where "SP" means spalt-maple (veneer) top; this results in a few sellers claiming it's a solid-wood top.

The "K" stands -- of course -- for "case" (the C already in play) or perhaps for "kit."

My (MIC) X-10's serial number begins with 0C04 -- FWIW, the two "0" are identical, so the first isn't technically a "O" even if that's how it's read.

My (MIK) X-33's begins with N05. Not a clue what's indicated by "N-".
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/

Offline YerDugliness

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 06:21:06 PM »
Here's another one, Tony!

One of Washburn's best all time sellers is it's D10S line...solid wood soundboard. However, they made some "rare-woods" D10S models and added some letters to the D10S moniker to indicate the laminated rare woods used for the sides and back...D10SQB=D10S "Quilted Bubinga".

They made a Walnut model...you got it, a D10SW...but NOT a solid wood guitar.

That Spalted Maple D46CESP is one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen...I drool every time I see one. I just can't figure out how to turn loose of ALL that $$$ for an all-laminate guitar... ???

When it's a CE model, the "S" for Solid Wood soundboard will always preceed the "cutaway electric" alpha-designation (CE) as in D12SCE...the topic of this thread.  if your Spalted Maple had a solid wood top it would be a D46SCESP (gotta wonder why they didn't just go with SM for Spalted Maple)...with the exception of the D10SW, where the W really is the wood designation and the D10S just means solid wood spruce soundboard, but the SW letter combination doesn't mean all-solid wood construction. I bet a lot have been fooled by that one!!!! If there had been a Solid-wood version of the D10 I'd have been all over it!  It was very difficult for me to resist when TY sold his D10SDL (Deluxe)...most all of the D10S models used laminated mahogany as secondary tonewoods, but the DL model had laminated rosewood for secondary tonewoods and actual wood bindings rather than the cheaper "ivoriod" we see on the D10S models.

BTW...yes, the "K" always means the guitar was sold with a dedicated case...ala my C124SWK classical (a REALLY fine guitar!!!).

Oh, well..."Onward! Through the fog!" created by Washburn's idiosyncratic designation system, love it as we may!   :o

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:59:00 PM by YerDugliness »

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 12:18:37 AM »
Keep an eye open for the D46 -- they get little love. Here's a spalt that sold last year for $395, from CME, which (IMO) tends to overprice ~20%.
https://reverb.com/item/197333-washburn-d46ce-natural

While certainly swayed by the looks, I wanted the tone muted a bit for stage purposes. (My old Alvarez & Aria were/are plenty fine for home use or sitting around with friends.) So, I got the tone AND the flash -- oh, you ought to see the binding! Should I spot another for cheap, I'll possibly grab it... but eventually I wouldn't mind paying a fair price for a D46SCE with proper spruce. Well, heck, now that I look, here's one for $550 --
https://reverb.com/item/488059-washburn-d46-scekiq

And note that we have a new designator, "-IQ". Apparently the B-Band system only deserved to be lumped into the "E"!!
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/