Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn "Cremonatone" No. 127123 - seeking wisdom  (Read 2963 times)

Offline KennBart

• View Profile
Washburn "Cremonatone" No. 127123 - seeking wisdom
« on: March 17, 2015, 10:40:33 PM »
Hello forum!

Hoping I can find a little help here. My dad who is now (78yo) had in his possession (until I "borrowed" it), what I thought was a Washburn Mandolin. Since I was a kid, it only had three rusty strings on it. The history as far as I know is that my dad was a kid, told his buddy's dad that if he ever wanted to get rid of it that he would take it. That was sometime in the late '40's or '50's. Well, his buddy gave it to my dad when he got out of the US Navy in 1959.

Fast forward to today. I restrung it a few months ago because I am a guitar player and I wanted to teach myself some of the basics. My church is doing a somewhat folk type song from a band called "Rend Collective". Anyhow, I thought it would sound great with this "mandolin". I had a blast tonight and it sounded great !

Now I am curious.... the label on the inside says that this is a "Cremonatone" No. 127123. I tried to polish it up a bit using some Gibson guitar polish on it, but realized after doing a small area that I think I did more harm than good so I stopped trying to clean it.

I will post some pictures of it. Hoping to get some advice or feedback from you all about what I should do to polish the metal and the wood on it. If someone could suggest an approximate age, that would be cool. It is an heirloom that I would not even consider selling. Kind of like my '64 Gibson ES-335!

Offline philpm

• View Profile
Re: Washburn "Cremonatone" No. 127123 - seeking wisdom
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 10:00:49 PM »
Kenn, welcome to the forum!

Check out this link:  http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Acoustic/JimSmithCollection5.html  and scroll about halfway down.  This looks like what you have:  a Style 210 mandolin.

As far as polishing the wood, my suggestion would be don't.  Same with the metal.  If you feel it needs some cleanup, the best thing would probably be a slightly damp soft cloth.  With an instrument of this age with the type of lacquer used, anything else may damage it.

BTW, that is a beautiful instrument!
On and off newbie player for about 20 years.

'08 Washburn WD-114SK (currently residing in Denver)
'10 Washburn WMJ11S
'09 Cherry Epiphone Dot
'13 Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Offline KennBart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 01:03:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply & compliments Phil. I'm taking your advice and have dumped the idea of trying to clean / polish it. I'll just take my cloth to it after each use.

I'm truly having fun learning to play the instrument, setting aside any guitar experience/knowledge. Clean slate (so to speak)! 

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 02:49:49 PM »
Washburn calls those "Beetle" mandolins...for obvious reasons. Yours is the most splendid example I've seen. Quite often their age has caught up with them....or left them in the dust!

Sounds like you're having fun with it... ;D

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline keef

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 09:44:52 AM »
A fine Style 122 Washburn, manufactured around 1900, one of the earlier 122s to receive the extension fingerboard. Beautiful condition, and I love the 'clown shoe' case! The Gibson stuff will not harm the finish, as long as you apply it sparingly, and to the cloth. Good luck!

Offline KennBart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 09:16:02 AM »
Wow ! Thanks so much for the replies. Mhy dad is going to be exstatic to hear !  As for the clown shoe, don't laugh but when I was a real young lad, I remember that I used to slide my leg into the case and hobble around the house with it!