Username: Password:

Author Topic: My Washburn D84SW  (Read 6372 times)

Offline OwariAsahi

• View Profile
My Washburn D84SW
« on: June 25, 2015, 02:42:43 PM »
It was supposedly built for an artist. So it has no label. Very clean and kills my buddies' Martin  D42K. He won't even bring it out if we have a bunch of guys playing. He can't believe its a Washburn, he even tried to convince me someone built it and slapped a Washburn neck on it. (Neck headstock says made in USA)

Great features like:
Gotoh 510 gold Machines
Gold frets
Interesting Guild(?) Bridge
Bone pins
Bone nut and saddle
Tone, bass, volume- depth and a human like(truly, its kinda freaky) voice to die for.

Top solid 3D looking spruce
Excellent straight grained flame Koa back and sides
Flamey maple binding.

Can somebody please help me get pics up in this thread?

Offline OwariAsahi

• View Profile
Re: My Washburn D84SW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 12:29:01 AM »
Guess not. Thanks for the interest.

Offline cedwards

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 12:28:13 PM »
Most folks use Photobucket, a free service. I use TinyPics - same deal.  Post pics up to one of those services, copy forum link and paste here. Lots of folks have described the process in more detail on here - you can search it.

Would love to see the pics.
Seize the Fish
WG2S, D10SCE, WI45, JM300S, Lyon L115
'70s Univox LP Copy

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 10:32:52 AM »
Guess not. Thanks for the interest.
Sarcasm is ALWAYS such a boon to social interaction. ::)

This place is worth EVERY PENNY :o you pay for it. As you could have surmised, most of the denizens cruise past here maybe a few times a week. If we don't see a headline that particularly suits our personal interests, we generally don't stop. And this site is sometimes deluged by new "members" who make one or two posts, ask their questions, then vanish, which makes some members reluctant to even say hello; I hope you'll forgive any of us who leapt to the unwonted conclusion that you're merely another.

As for photo storage, you could do like me: own a website. :D I use it mainly to store photos for selling stuff on various sites. The host only allows me something like 13 GB of storage & 150 email addresses -- what ever will I do??

For most folks, there's this groovy new thing called Google --
Wikipedia
Webtrends "7 Free Image Sharing Sites"
eBizma "15 Best Photo Sharing Sites - June 2015"

It's then a simple task to use an IMG tag for your emails, forum posts, blog, sales listings, etc, whenever you wish to display one or more of your photos, or the URL to direct them to the image without page constraints. Just remember to edit your photos nicely, & reduce size so you're not bogging people down with 15 MB snapshots.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:46:37 AM by Tony Raven »
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 03:04:53 PM »
My trick knee tells me the Op has long gone but just in case.

This is a US built guitar.  Highly doubtful someone would put a Washburn neck on non-Washburn body.  A Collings, Santa Cruz, Bourgeios, even a Martin neck, maybe.

FYI, there are a couple of versions of this guitar.  Here is a link to a pic of version 1.
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Acoustic/Jim%20Smith%20photos/Page%203/Washburn%20D-84%20SW%20%7BKoa%7D.jpg

From what you have indicated I believe you have version 2 (the "Guild'ish bridge does not sound like version one).

The D84SW (version one or two) are wonderful guitars and rather rare.  Unfortunately rare in this case does not mean super valuable.  Here is a bit more skinny, from an admittedly dated Blue book data base.  But guitar values have not been on an upward tear of late so the valuation is probably pretty good. 

D84 SW HIGHLAND (US MFG.)
- dreadnought style, AAA solid spruce top, solid Hawaiian Koa back and sides, one-piece mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard with small pearl dots, tortoiseshell pickguard, figured maple body binding, roman style headstock, 3-per-side tuners, abalone rosette, Buzz Feiten tuning system, Natural finish,
mfg. 2002-2003.
Grading 100% Excellent Average
MSR $2,400 $1,700 $1,050 - 1,200 $650 - 750
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:44:35 PM by evenkeel »

Offline OwariAsahi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 04:28:48 PM »
Thank you guys for all your replies. I am about as illiterate as it comes concerning computers and the directions I have recieved. Is there someone willing to let me email pics to them that could post them? I have never seen another that was even close to the features of this guitar. Ive been offered BTO Taylors, D55 Guilds and Even a Mossman and a J45 custom in trade. After swapping a day or 2 to feel out the deal I am always back to reclaim my baby knowing I have something truly special.

This guitar could talk in the hands of a gifter player. No BS.

I was told who the intended artist was, and a little story behind it. I have no way to verify those claims. If I repeated it you would likely think I am a nut job. So I'll keep it to myself for now. Lets just say, you know his name.

ship of fools

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 06:30:46 PM »
yep nice guitars made in the custom shop what are the numbers stamped inside I  the D-78 and when I sold it I took a big beating on the what I got compared to what I paid for it and let us know whom it might have been ordered for

Offline OwariAsahi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 09:11:12 PM »
No stamp no label. Just a "Made In USA" and Ser no. Starting in 06 on the headstock. Hammer and stamp style.  I would rather not say, because I do not know it to be fact. I wasn't really looking for a value, as I don't think I could duplicate its sound anywhere at any price. This mothereffer is coming to the grave. I had briefly entertained a trade up but was never satisfied. I've bought as some Nice guitars from alot of various quality builders from $100 to a few paychecks.

I will say, when I finally got around to playing the d84 it was shrill and almost painful sounding. I now get what feels almost like butterflies, an anxiousness to see what it will do next. In a wonderful way. I had thought of Washburn as some sort of inferior kids starter guitars. Not so, I was mistaken. This is the kind of guitar players in the studio argue over.

Lol I know I sound real gassed up about this, but good Lord, Washburn. This is a good one. They should revive the custom shop And build these again.

How many others are out there?

ship of fools

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 05:45:58 PM »
oh crap there are a lot of really great Washburns out there from the custom shop ones to the early W series from 1973 through to 94 they made some spectacular instruments that were beyond just players

Offline OwariAsahi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 02:52:42 PM »
I was still hoping someone could help me get a few pics up. I am a computer Neanderthal.

I think this one will be different from any you have seen to date..

Like I said, this damn thing can almost talk.

I have a world class Brz acoustic, this is beyond that.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 12:41:56 PM »
Here is a forum tutorial for posting photos:

http://forums.washburn.com/index.php/topic,21807.0.html

Most of us use Photobucket...free and relatively easy to use. Once you get your photos uploaded, you'll need to copy the IMG code and paste it into the body of your post. Your photo should be visible, not just a link to a photo.

I'm curious...is your D84SW one of the Acoustic custom shop pieces? IIRC before they closed down the acoustic custom shop, most of the D84SW (or, perhaps they were WD84SW) guitars were probably made by John Stover...is his signature on the label inside the body of the guitar?

I'd like to see yours...we use to have a member who posted about his WD or D84SW...it had s spruce soundboard and Hawaiian Koa wood sides and back pieces...all solid wood, of course, as is yours.  He did not seem to like it and was trying to decide if he was going to sell it or not. Perhaps you bought his?

Again....please post photos...and particularly the paper label inside the body of the guitar.  [Edit---I reread your thread and now realize that there is no paper label....DUUUUH!!!!!]

Cheers!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:48:02 PM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 09:40:05 AM »
Here are some of the pics of Owari's D84 SW.  Spectacular looking guitar.  Will post more later.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:46:14 AM by evenkeel »

ship of fools

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 11:04:55 AM »
Hey Dugly actually John told me he signed the tops of his built customs and some labels were signed by him but not necessarily put together by him. ship

Offline evenkeel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 08:47:37 PM »
Bit late, but here are a few more pics.

Offline OwariAsahi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 04:42:06 PM »
Just want to thank Evenkeel for posting the pics. If there is anyone out there that can tell me more about it I am all ears.

Thank you to Washburn for occasionally releasing some real jewels. I love when I find something amazing that there isn't a couple dozen hanging all over the walls at the local GC.

Don