Username: Password:

Author Topic: Type of wood for body  (Read 1294 times)

Offline firstrebel

• View Profile
Type of wood for body
« on: July 04, 2015, 03:27:51 AM »
A lot of Washburn body sections appear to be plywood or similar with a laminate to make it look good, unless solid wood is stated. So does it really matter what type of laminate is used? Does the tone change?

Bob
2009 Roy Orbison Epiphone 12-String FT-112
2014 Masterbilt AJ-500RCE VN
2015 EJ-200SCE VS
2016 Masterbilt AJ-45ME VSS
2016 Masterbilt EF-500RCCE VN
2016 Masterbilt DR-500MCE VS
2016 Masterbilt Century DeLuxe Classic VN
2012 Washburn WJ130EK
Faith Hi Gloss Netpune FNHG
Fender Acoustasonic 90 amp

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Type of wood for body
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 08:01:38 AM »
Various tone woods impart a tonal quality to the sound produced. For example, Rosewood does a good job of emphasizing bass notes, mahogany produces a great "woody" nature to the sound, and maple imparts a bright sound to the tone.

These effects occur whether the product has solid wood sides and back or laminate...although understandably the tonal contributions are greater if the materials used are solid wood.

There are times when a guitar with laminated woods is preferable...for example, I would much prefer to take a guitar with laminate secondary tone woods (those used to make the sides and back) on a camping trip. A lot of performing musicians prefer a solid wood soundboard with laminate sides and back over an all solid wood guitar because of how easily solid wood instruments can get damaged among all the on-stage madness.

Here's my take on it...tone woods do determine to some degree to the tonal balance of a guitar. The most important thing is to make sure the soundboard (also called the top) is solid wood. As your skills develop pursue guitars of all-solid wood construction if you anticipate doing any recording. For me the best buy is solid soundboard with laminate sides and back...you have less chance of damaging the instrument...and you still get the tonal improvements that go with having a solid wood soundboard.

Now...depending on how new you are to the guitar you may hear the tonal contributions of the various tone woods...or not...but there are definitely differences to be heard between even laminated secondary tone woods.

Your best bet is to sit down in a music store with a variety of guitars and pick your guitar based on the tonal combination you like best.

Here are some common tone wood combinations...spruce over mahogany (meaning that the soundboard is spruce and the secondary tone woods are mahogany)...cedar over rosewood (my favorite!!!). Most guitars with maple secondary tone woods also have a maple soundboard (that combo produces a very bright sound), although spruce over maple is not uncommon.

Hope this has helped some.

Cheers!!

Dugly 8)
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline firstrebel

• View Profile
Re: Type of wood for body
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 02:58:22 PM »
Great reply and that clears a lot up. I have been used to Gibson solid wood guitars but have become amazed at what the Washburns sound like with laminated back and sides. I have two Epi's with laminated sides but they don't get used much.The Lakeside LSJ743STSK I have proves that as it has a solid Sitka Spruce top and Rosewood laminated back and sides, and will use it on some camping trips. For my Western and American Civil War re-enacting events I might get the WJ130EK to match the Washburn parlor the other guy uses.

Bob
2009 Roy Orbison Epiphone 12-String FT-112
2014 Masterbilt AJ-500RCE VN
2015 EJ-200SCE VS
2016 Masterbilt AJ-45ME VSS
2016 Masterbilt EF-500RCCE VN
2016 Masterbilt DR-500MCE VS
2016 Masterbilt Century DeLuxe Classic VN
2012 Washburn WJ130EK
Faith Hi Gloss Netpune FNHG
Fender Acoustasonic 90 amp