Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mistery HB35 ?  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Dutch Leo

• View Profile
Mistery HB35 ?
« on: July 04, 2015, 03:33:03 AM »
Hi, I'm new to this forum. My name is Leo.

Some 25 years ago at a guitar shop, I bumped into a MIJ HB35, the model with the tapered headstock and the strings-thru bridge. It was amazing. I went back the next day with a pocket full of cash. It was gone. Shop owner said some guy watching me play it the day before snatched it the moment I left the shop. I learned a lesson there.. ;)

Just recently I bought an HB35 from our local flea-bay. It has the same strings-thru bridge, but the wider headstock and fancy binding and inlays. Natural finish, side mounted jack, switch on the upper bout. Gold hardware, tuners branded Washburn. No information to be found on this peculiar mix of features though. Label says: Hancrafted in the Washburn tradition since 1876. Model no: not stamped (left blank), S/N 9205530. Can anyone shed light on this please? Left over parts? Limited run?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByN3At2By6L9dktkTHhyVjRBMTg/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByN3At2By6L9eXZ3TFBiam9zNTg/view?usp=sharing

I also posted this in the 'Show us...' section.

Cheers,
Leo

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
Re: Mistery HB35 ?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 01:22:19 PM »
Hi dutch, and welcome to the forum.
I've put a link below to some interesting reading on your model, there's 18 pages to peruse so I reckon you'll find the info you seek.

http://forums.washburn.com/index.php/topic,16184.0.html

Offline Dutch Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 11:49:11 AM »
Thanks CB,
Read all of that and am even more confused now  :o

Offline Cornish Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 02:55:25 PM »
We're all confused Dutch, the thread was meant to "Shine A Light" on the differing models, all it seems to have done is muddy the quest even more. The main problem is the earlier models were alleged to have been made at the Matsumoku plant in Japan, then you find Yamaki (who were also making instruments) electronics with their name on in some, but not all early Wing series. Washburn have not been able to help much in the way of Japanese made instruments, as their records do not go that far back. So unless someone turns up with hard evidence this thread is going to run forever, and we still cannot accredit certain instruments to Uncle Mat or Yamaki. Personally I know that my Falcon and Hawk are fantastic guitars that have the build to last a lifetime, and a sound that keeps me picking them up first, even an N4 takes a back seat on sound. The Wing series in my humble opinion is the best series ever to have the Washburn logo on their headstock.

Happy hunting, let us know of any eureka moments, every little helps......................

Offline Dutch Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 04:40:47 AM »
Thanks CB,
I've added more pics in the 'Show us...' section.
Leo