Username: Password:

Author Topic: the BT/Maverick line  (Read 12728 times)

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
the BT/Maverick line
« on: October 06, 2015, 01:46:09 AM »
Due to a few months of fortunate online shopping, I find myself with an assortment of Roland "13-pin" guitar gear. Two years ago, I'd bought a nice Switch Music guitar with factory GK hex pickup, & figured I should actually try some of the stuff.

However, the Switch keeps gaining in value, so I've grown a little leery of taking it outside the house. As I'd obtained a top-mount GK pickup in a deal, I went out looking for a guitar I could bolt it to without feeling too guilty about drilling three (small) holes.

My first thought, of course, was a used Lyon or Oscar Schmidt Idol -- generally decent guitars, & often gathering dust, so there have been deals.

A Guitar Center had a BT-2 mis-listed as an Idol, so I went back through the sites to check out BTs. To my surprise, a Music-Go-Round had a BT-3 listed at a mere $40, plus $40 s/h. It was basic black, but what the heck: it's intended mostly to drive a synth, right?

Aside from a couple of dings (back of neck, edge of fretboard) & no trussrod cover & two missing screws, it's practically perfect. Sure, it needs to have the nut slots cut a little, the trussrod could use a quarter-turn, the slugs are all neatly lined up rather than intonated... in other words, typical for nowadays.

Firstly, it's difficult to go wrong with
(1) spending less than $100
(2) on a Washburn electric
(3) that has Grover tuners.
(In fact, the entire BT series has Grovers.)

I can't find the thread, but somewhere around here I list all the triple-single Washburn electrics that've ever been released -- which is like 18 models, some of them quite rare. The BT-3 is one, & now sits next to another, my X-33.

I haven't yet given the pickups a thorough workout, so I won't comment on tone. Looking at 'em, though, I note an oddity. With Fender-type singles, it seems there's generally two choices for polepiece height: all the same, or "stagger." For some reason, lately all the staggers I've seen are in pairs, which seemed somewhat lazy. So, I enjoyed seeing that the BT-3 has all its polepieces nicely matched to the height of the string.

All in all, a nice solid basic guitar that competes very well with my Squier (Vintage Modified) Strat that cost me $165. The BT just feels more... dunno, compact, solid. And I'm a long-time fan of Grovers; many years of finding them reliable & responsive.

However, now I'm reluctant to drill holes in it. :o

More later. Any love out there for the Mavericks?
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline dannyj5150

• View Profile
Re: the BT/Maverick line
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 12:11:52 PM »
Love them too!
Just joined this forum this morning after becoming obsessed with them and starting to collect.   :)

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 07:45:36 PM »
Welcome aboard! Yah, it certainly appears to be a GREAT model to accumulate: well-built, good Blue Book valuation, variety of pickup routs, big range of finishes, low demand keeping the asking prices down for almost all models.

The "bottom end" BT-2's SRP started at $333.90 (1997), then up $6 by 2000. The rule of thumb is that it likely sold for 60% of that, so $200 & change. About the same range as the Yamaha Pacifica or better Squier Affinity. And it looks like the BT-2 has a mahogany body -- with that scale length, it's a "sleeper" SG. :)

I see that the Floyd Rose trem isn't a guarantee of high value. The first year, various versions were sported by the BT-6, -10, & -20, with respective prices of $500, $800, & $1,500.

And be aware that the quilt-top models are actually a plastic film -- very much like Fender's "Foto-Flame" models -- so there's no actual veneer there, & chipping might not be fixable. Then again, it won't harm playability at all, so you might snag a bargain!

Anyway, I'm just stopping briefly to note an oddity. I've seen "Billy T"-branded models in two metalflakes, red & a sort of aqua. Now, the Billy T Series looks to've only existed in 1996, becoming Maverick Series for 1997 onward. Yet, metalflake colors only appeared in 1998 (BT-2, MFBL MFS, $50 extra; BT-6, MFB) & 1999 (BT-2 again). Is it possible that Washburn randomly used up older "BillyT" plates? or maybe these were specific to certain retailers? Anyone with info (or a more-educated guess) is welcome to jump in!
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

Offline dannyj5150

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 05:32:19 PM »
Thanks for the info. That's a bummer about the tops being a decal essentially.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 12:40:40 AM »
That's a bummer about the tops being a decal essentially.
The info comes from the archived Washburn price list, so I want to take it at face value. Then again, according to the 2001 catalogue
The quilted top not only enhances the beauty of the BT4Q, it also enhances the tone. Alder gives depth and the maple provides definition. It's been a proven combination for Washburn and gives each BT4Q a unique sonic fingerprint.
which does NOT sound like they're discussing Mylar film!!

FWIW: there's some old posts about how the early BT8 & BT10 were set-neck. Certainly something a collector might want to watch for.

For the Mavericks, BlueBook Online is hinky.
http://bluebookofguitarvalues.com/Electric_Guitar_Values/Manufacturers/WASHBURN/Categories/ELECTRIC__MAVERICK_%28BT_AND_WM%29_SERIES?id=WASHBURN_ELECTRIC_MAVERICK_BT_WM_SERIES

That doesn't look too terrible. However, when I went to VintageWashburn.com -- normally THE best single source for brand-specific info -- there's nothing there but the BlueBook Online... except that it's got MUCH more info about changes in color & design.
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electrics/Maverick.html

When searching online, you'll need to check washburn billy AND washburn maverick AND washburn bt. Like, here's Guitar Center:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/search?Ns=r&Ntt=washburn+bt
http://www.guitarcenter.com/search?Ns=r&Ntt=washburn+maverick
Four guitars + two guitars, zero overlap.

Soeaking of which. If you have $450 available & want a likely collectible, here's that BT-500, with in-line headstock & Jackson-era trussrod cover.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Washburn/Bt500-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc
Such a model is NOT mentioned anywahere.

Less exotic & just $140, this BT-6 looks rather nice.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Washburn/Maverick-Series-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

Dunno if you're one of those "find the rare colors" sorts, but this is the first BT-2 I've seen in green.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Washburn/1993-Bt-2-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc
And note that someone's thoughtfully loaded it with EMGs. :o

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 09:16:58 PM »
I happened to be pawing through eBay, & spotted these two Mavericks at extreme ends of the spectrum.

This appears to be a BT-4 in tobacco sunburst.
{dead links removed}
The Buy-It-Now price is a mere $70 + s/h ($46.75 to here, which is reasonable). This includes a little Ibanez practice amp, which you can likelt sell fast on Craigslist for $20.

Meanwhile, ogle this one-off WM-200 (a.k.a. WMP) while you have the opportunity.
{dead link removed}
Custom Shop USA, set neck... while $675 may seem stratospheric, they're willing to consider a serious offer for less. After all, final MSRP on the usual WM-200 was $1,499, & THOSE have a Blue Book value of $725+. However, if you want a little leverage, then a guitar of this level SHOULD have an original Washburn-branded hard case! ;)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 12:21:38 PM by Tony Raven »

Offline psp742

• buy, upgrade, learn to play.. yup!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 10:45:52 PM »
good deal on the BT-4 tobacco burst..  I have same one but i upgraded the stock tremolo to Bladerunner and swapped the tuner from chrome to black and put Beatles Abbey Road inlay sticker.

This is my BT-6, metal flake black..  i believe i paid about $150 including shipping but no trem arm so bought Washburn S600 tremolo with trem arm and locking nut and hex tools

88 Force ABT B-30 MR
90 Festival EA20B
94 Bantam XB600 BkFlam
96 Bantam XB400 Bttrsctch
97 Maverick BT-4 Tobaccobrst
98 Maverick BTM MR/DMB
98 Bantam XB-500 Bk
98 Maverick BT-6 MtlFlkBk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
05 Xseries X-33 Bk
05 Idol WI64 Bk
05 Idol WI36 Bk
14 WCG18CE Na
84 Wing T-bird Brwnbrst

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 12:11:19 AM »
I like the hardware changes on the BT-4. It's MUCH prettier without the chrome.

It kinda bums me out that this otherwise-pleasant BT-8 has been priced at a laughable $600.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Washburn-BT-8-Guitar-Red-w-case-/201470034924?hash=item2ee88cc3ec:g:bUUAAOSwlV9WTkfQ

Okay, yeah, I'll accept that it's NOS, never been sold at retail, so maybe 98% condition... but the seller is either a blessed moron or a damned liar, claiming the axe was sent direct from Washburn -- real retailers buy from distributors. In any case, MSRP was like $750, so they paid $450 at absolute most, & have certainly been stupid/greedy to leave all that cash locked up since 1999!! Even with case, I'd have been hard-pressed to see myself offering $400, but that BT-10 pushes it lower.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 10:07:07 PM by Tony Raven »

Offline mindbinge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 11:39:25 AM »
Here's my BT 10...

I've upgraded everything that has anything to do with the electronics...and it's pretty killer now!

I put a Switchcraft toggle switch and output jack on it, EVH 500k pots, and a USA made set of new old stock Peavey Wolfgang pickups from the original run they made. I used heavily shielded wire that barely fit the cavity routing.

Also added two black metal dome knobs to it and an EVH D-Tuna.

Didn't need to replace the trem, never had any problems with it staying in tune....but, if i ever get the itch, I'll put a black Floyd and lock nut and black Grover Tuners on it to finish the black out lol.

All in all, this thing is a total beast...I love it.

Just thought I'd share.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 12:04:24 PM »
Hey, welcome to the show!! I've already razzed you a bit on the other thread. 8)

I'm a noob & a cheapskate, having snagged my BT-3 a few months ago for a truly paltry sum. Expecting a "kick-around" axe, instead I got a guitar that I wish had been available ~1980 when I was trying to play for a living!!

While the BT-3 is a great all-rounder, it's nice to see another player who aims a little higher. :)

The BT/WM family was only around 1995-2002. Given the continued popularity of the Axis/Wolfgang shape, Washburn would be smart to drop the Gibsonish (emphasis "ISH!") "Idols" & push out some Mavericks -- heck, they already ownall the specs & could have 'em flowing from Red China in a few weeks.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 12:10:49 PM »
FWIW, just to pull the theme together a bit, here's a guy who recently bought a BT-8 only to find it was actually a misidentified WM --

http://forums.washburn.com/index.php/topic,24535.0.html

As I said to a friend a few months back, "How far wrong could I go when the entire series has Grovers?" (I'm kinda a HUGE fan of Rotomatics, even the "old fashion" 12:1.)

Offline psp742

• View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 08:11:12 PM »
Tony,

I was exchanging post with the OP about his WM100 (if i'm not mistaken, which was labeled as a BT-8) he got a pretty good deal because Guitar Center made a mistake listing the guitar.

I saw a BT-8 selling for less than $180 on CL.

mindbinge, that is one BAD LOOKING!!! BT-10, really tight purple flame.. It's made in Korea, with Takeuchi Floyd Rose (made in Japan Licensed Floyd Rose - very good quality)

my BT-6 is made in Indonesia by Samick, the trem claw screws were drilled cock-eyed, and there were extra hole in body cavity by the middle pickup, i repaired all the issues and replaced the electronics with Korean made 5-way switch, Japanese B500k Linear push-pull pot, MightyMite Bluebuckers bridge and neck humbuckers (kept the original middle pickup), installed Super-vee Maglok trem stabilizer, GeetarGizmos Tremolo Spring Noise Silencer (don't really need it but i want to), had Jescar Stainless Steel frets installed..

This is my only Floyd Rose equiped guitar, it's a pain to change strings (so i got shredneck trem stop to prevent the bridge from going down). It is set to floating and keeps in tune whether you dive bomb, do put up or do bends.  If i sell her that is if i do, i doubt I will ever recoup what I invested in her.. I could have gone SD JB + Jazz neck but it would make it similar to my other guitar.
88 Force ABT B-30 MR
90 Festival EA20B
94 Bantam XB600 BkFlam
98 Maverick BTM MR/DMB
98 Bantam XB-500 Bk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
05 Xseries X-33 Bk
05 Idol WI64 Bk
05 Idol WI36 Bk
14 WCG18CE Na
84 Wing T-bird Brwnbrst

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 01:35:22 AM »
I'm eyeballing a BT-6 right now, so I really appreciate the heads-up about potential quality issues.

There's some weird discrepencies amongst the Mavericks. Like, right now on eBay, there's what certainly LOOKS like a BT-2, but wearing a BT-4 badge. ???

The badges remain an oddity, & sometimes looks totally random. Besides the "BT-x" gravure, I've seen a "BillyT," afew blank blacks, & a swirly pearloid (unengraved).

And NOT helping matters is info such as found in the official online archives of Washburn itself. :o For instance, the pricelist entries for the BT-3 (1997-1998) says it's got "WB 200 SERIES HUMBUCKERS" which differs with their catalogues (let alone reailty).

Remember the eBay seller I said was sorta over-hyping their red BT-8? They're also trying to max a WM-100 ($1,275), which is fine if slightly delusional -- I'd put value at more like $800 max. But they also expect $262 for a BT-4; given the lack of demand, that seems about $100 optimistic, even with factory case.

Offline psp742

• View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 09:51:56 PM »
As you probably know The Billy T line was the predecessor to the Maverick..  I was upset I got outbid on a Billy T in gold sparkle for just $130 + shipping  :(  This started my interest in the Maverick line...  Billy T are definitely Korean, I believe some of the higher end Maverick's are still made in Korea.  In truth I don't know if my BT6 was Korean or Indonesian, but upon closer inspection of the craftmanship (or little touches of it) I mean how can you drill the trem claw screws cock-eyed, it even protruded into the neck humbucker cavity (i filled the cavity hole with Elmer Wood Glue Max and it is harder than the Mahogany wood / painted over the repair area / filled the trem screw holes and after it dried / redrill with long drill bit)  There is nothing wrong with it now.

There is a BT4 tobacco sunburst with small Ibanez amp for $70 + shipping.. it is an awesome deal.. - http://www.ebay.com/itm/272045833829?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I know the BT-10 is far superior in quality to the BT6, but the BT6 has it's advantage, once you upgrade the components, HSH gives you more tonal options, since I also coil split the humbuckers, I get even more variety. the key is having an actual single coil pickup.  if and when I need it.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:58:49 PM by psp742 »
88 Force ABT B-30 MR
90 Festival EA20B
94 Bantam XB600 BkFlam
98 Maverick BTM MR/DMB
98 Bantam XB-500 Bk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
05 Xseries X-33 Bk
05 Idol WI64 Bk
05 Idol WI36 Bk
14 WCG18CE Na
84 Wing T-bird Brwnbrst

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 12:35:55 AM »
There is a BT4 tobacco sunburst with small Ibanez amp for $70 + shipping.. it is an awesome deal.
Yah, I spotted that as well. Though I really don't NEED another h-s-s, it'd be nice to play for a while.
HSH gives you more tonal options
Until a year ago, I thought that h-s-h was either an artifact or an affectation. Then I saw a Guthire Govan DVD where he deftly used that single-coil to get tones that would've been difficult with a coil-tapped 'bucker -- not that I'll live long enough to be half so good, but it's enjoyable to learn stuff at my age. 8)

My only h-s-h guitar is an Aria 714-DLX that's just so beautiful I hardly dare uncase it, much less think about rewiring. But a BT-6, well...