Username: Password:

Author Topic: the BT/Maverick line  (Read 11418 times)

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: the BT/Maverick line
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 06:32:31 PM »
{dead link removed}

I spotted another Maverick oddity -- what sure looks like a black BT-2 to me... except the trussrod cover plate does actually read SB100.

???

If I hadn't just bludgeoned my Cool Stuff budget, that $90 pricetag would make me want to get a closer look...

Almost forgot what I'd come here for. :(

After comparing the pricelists to the available catalogues, I'd be willing to wager on this:
As far as I can determine, the BT-2Q is a film (like Fender Japan's Foto-Flame), but the BT-4Q is actually a layer of maple.

Okay, so I don't yet know whether it's a veneer or an actual cap, but at least it's likely actual refinishable WOOD.

And speaking of that, I doubt you'll find another of the latter for a mere $100 + s/h:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Washburn/BT4-MAVERICK-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 10:43:52 AM by Tony Raven »
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 05:21:29 PM »
By the end of the year, I'll have what I hope is the definitive listing of BT guitars, maybe including the WM Mavs as well.

However, I'm momentarily obsessed with the BT-9. I enjoy "anomalous" guitars, the ones that didn't fit neatly into their family. Hence, I've got a BT-3 (every other model having a humbucker or two). The BT-9, of course, is one of the few Washburns with a maple fretboard, so the alder body is (IMO) generous icing.

But just TRY to find a photo, much less one for sale...!! >:( Thus far, two in Russia, one in Italy, & one that may be in Missouri. Anyway, let's see if I can link any of 'em up.

Well... if anybody spots one -- & the asking price isn't totally insane -- be CERTAIN to alert me, please? :-*
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

Offline dannyj5150

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 06:23:24 PM »
Cool Tony. I'm always looking for anything Mav/BT/WM related so I'll let you know.
Working on my collection as well.  :)

Offline psp742

• buy, upgrade, learn to play.. yup!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 08:02:13 PM »
i will help keep an eye out as well..  :)
88 Force ABT B-30 MR
90 Festival EA20B
94 Bantam XB600 BkFlam
96 Bantam XB400 Bttrsctch
97 Maverick BT-4 Tobaccobrst
98 Maverick BTM MR/DMB
98 Bantam XB-500 Bk
98 Maverick BT-6 MtlFlkBk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
05 Xseries X-33 Bk
05 Idol WI64 Bk
05 Idol WI36 Bk
14 WCG18CE Na
84 Wing T-bird Brwnbrst

Offline dannyj5150

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 04:51:14 PM »
Do I have to be a member here for a certain amount of posts or time before I can post a photo? Not sure how to upload it when I click the  "insert image" icon here....

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 06:01:26 PM »
Thissite does not actually accept upload. You'd have to place the photo somewhere online, then link to it with the button or the [ img ] tag. Many people use free online "image hosting" services (Photobucket, Shutterfly, etc); I have a website to place my eBay photos.

I intended to set aside more Great Maverick Mysteries until next week... & then the UPS guy shows up.

At my side is a 1998 BT-6. The year's pricelist colors are MFB GBL TWR, & I'll bet there's few people who could decode THAT. Okay, Transparent Wine Red came to me after a moment, then Metalflake Black showed up later.

My new beastie has solved the problem: bits of silver glitter scattered stingily in clearcoat over black... AHA!!! :o Glitter Black.

...not the prettiest finish, but it's a break from Basic Black. ::) Then again, the neck clearcoat has gone to a nice yellow-brown. And it's the first Rose I've owned in almost 30 years. ;) It's still got the Inspection sticker (albeit faded) on the heel plate.

Hmm. Previous owner played mostly on the G string, but also ground Fret 1 a bit bending the A & D -- what ARE they teaching metalheads nowadays??? All in all, a level/crown will restore almost all the wear.

For fellow fanatics: no engraving on the trussrod cover. The seller was able to ID it by another sticker at the neck heel.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 06:17:30 PM »
The previous nimrod clearly busted the B, & replaced it with a handy G. Once I figured that out, I was able to proceed.

While I'm not much of a wang-bar enthusiast, this Rose rig has already caught my attention. My ear says all that metal is adding some lovely depth to the guitar's unplugged tone. Once I get the action/intonation a bit closer to reality, it deserves a fresh ste of strings, the we shall see how it all works.

The biggest Fail thus far is the cavity cover. Precision-cut, but it looks like a piece of divider sheet from a cheap three-ring binder. This axe retailed at $600 -- would some pickguard sheet have broken the budget, Washburn??

Offline psp742

• View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 09:43:03 PM »
Tony, you got a BT6, nice!  You could have asked me..  My BT6 is metal flake black..  It had a few paint chips which did not affect wood, I used Dupli-Color black car paint (with clear coat) and some silver flake (from Walmart for art projects) and people can't tell I repaired it too.

How much  you have to dish out to acquire it, if you don't mind me asking..   I believe I paipaid $125 plus shipping.   The most expensive thing I did is having Jescar SS frets installed, it cost way more than the guitar itself and the humbuckers and electronic upgrade included, but it is well worth it.. Bends is so smooth it plays like butter much better than any guitar I own.  Well maybe not entirely true since the Idol WI64 also got the Jescar SS frets.  So two of my guitars are nice.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 09:48:16 PM by psp742 »
88 Force ABT B-30 MR
90 Festival EA20B
94 Bantam XB600 BkFlam
98 Maverick BTM MR/DMB
98 Bantam XB-500 Bk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
05 Xseries X-33 Bk
05 Idol WI64 Bk
05 Idol WI36 Bk
14 WCG18CE Na
84 Wing T-bird Brwnbrst

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
some thoughts on value & the BT family
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2015, 12:32:43 PM »
Fair certain it was like $125 + s/h.

Okay, now that I look at it in sunlight (or what passes for same at this time of year), doesn't it look less like black than a deep navy/midnight blue...? Wow, I'm losting marbles fast :o -- Washburn uses -BL for blue, right...?? (At work, when we refer to color-coding of wires, I insist upon BL=blue & BK=black so as to avoid snafus.)

Yep, definitely an under-valued series. Per Blue Book, this BT-6 ought to carry a value of $250-$300 even with a few chips at the edges. :o By that metric, at ~50% we paid about what a Big Box store SHOULD be offering.

A rule-of-thumb once stated by Zach Fjestad or someone equally authoritative: very few guitars will EVER be worth half their final Suggested Retail Price. Not hard-&-fast, of course, because inflation alone will eventually catch up, even if it takes a century, but generally right.

It's like that old truism about buying a new car: it literally loses half its value before the ink is dry on the contract. It might be YOUR "new baby," but it's still dirt-common (which depresses value) so some dealers will have a surplus (which depresses value) until they decide to dump 'em out at cost (which depresses value), where nowadays they're snapped up by flippers who think they're gonna make a killing on Craigslist which usually doesn't last long then the people who actually want 'em start playing hardball with Best Offers (which depresses value).

Then there's condition: a new guitar, barely touched since the factory, never put out on display, is 100%; as soon as you put down cash, it drops to 98%; play it a few times, or send in the warranty card, & it's 95%.

And despite the glut of online info, many used-gear sellers don't have someone on staff who knows how to research properly. As a result, a glut of one model can drag down the price of siblings that are rarer &/or of higher quality.

If you shop around (online or Big Box IRL), you know that the BT/Maverick contingent is dominated by "clown paint" BT-2. Then there's people -- like us 8) -- who snatch away the other models, increasing the BT-2 dominance, & further depressing prices, until one day word gets out that there's much cooler versions to be had, then rising prices will buoy demand for the BT-2. So, if you spot a cheeeep 2 in great shape, & you've got some storage space... ;) Other colors are difficult to spot, btw.

Right this moment, there's a BT-4Q on eBay demanding $275 (+$35). There's 19 watchers, & most are probably 4Q owners waiting for this to establish a tacit market value so that THEY can sell -- if they were buying, there's a 4Q that's been up for three days, & unable to get an opening $200 (+$40) bid, & has ZERO watchers. (No 4Q has sold on eBay in the past two months.) This is futile, because five "clown paint" BT-2 have sold for $95-$175 (including s/h), a bizarre range that proves a highly uncertain market.

...but if someone wanted to (say) make a fast few bucks, Guitar Center Online has an $80 BT-2CS & a $100 BT-4Q...

Ask any guitar nut to rattle off the Top Ten of axe brands they covet, & few will mention Washburn even as an afterthought. I'm therefore impressed when I see a Washie caught in the middle of some fierce online bidding war, & finally selling for double+ its SRP. :o

For the moment, if you see a BT you like on eBay, it's probably got a Best Offer button. Most of the recent BTs sell on Best Offer. This is free: why not chop off 30% & wave cash? Trim even more if it's been around awhile &/or there's no watchers.

(Same goes for Reverb.com; there, if there's been a bunch of offers, my experience is they've probably been close to 50%. I've surprised myself recently by offering 70% late at night, & getting an acceptance in minutes, likely because the seller was so tired of dealing with penny-pinchers! There's a 4Q asking $190 + $60, but willing to entertain offers, & it's been up for three months.

Because it doesn't deserve its own post: someone's selling what sure looks like a BT-9 pickplate for a mere $20, & this MIGHT be spiffy to customize a BT-4/-6 with no need for routing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OLDSTOCK-WHITE-PEARLOID-2S1H-WM-SERIES-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-PICKGUARD-4-WASHBURN-/181936485632?hash=item2a5c427500:g:h6AAAOSw~bFWQmBp

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2015, 12:52:56 PM »
This guy made a fierce-looking little BT-3, & is selling it for $175 max.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Washburn-BT3-Custom-NEW-ELECTRONICS-HARDWARE-NICE-/181965619183?hash=item2a5dfeffef:g:xNcAAOSw3KFWc4-y

That must be what the Cherry Sunburst looks like, so it's a 1998. I doubt the seller a little, though, because he seems to be taking credit for using 12:1 chrome non-locking Grovers to replace the stock... umm... 12:1 chrome non-locking Grovers. ??? And the B-string tuner looks crooked (to me).

Still, a good axe, maybe$100 in new hardware.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 02:27:37 PM by Tony Raven »

Offline psp742

• View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2015, 04:09:57 AM »
Additional single pickup trim is just aesthetics, and the tuner drilled crooked makes you think what else is wrong.
88 Force ABT B-30 MR
90 Festival EA20B
94 Bantam XB600 BkFlam
98 Maverick BTM MR/DMB
98 Bantam XB-500 Bk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
05 Xseries X-33 Bk
05 Idol WI64 Bk
05 Idol WI36 Bk
14 WCG18CE Na
84 Wing T-bird Brwnbrst

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 10:10:47 PM »
Doesn't look like the plates are actually screwed down, so they should come off easily enough.

The pickups are certainly new, but I wish the seller had mentioned which model of Dragonfire. And the knobs look nice, a bit like on my Vox Panther bass & somewhat like the black set I want for my "BBR" Cort.

If the bridge assembly is improved, then it's an all-round win. IME, though, Washburn "classic" trems have been pretty good bar the near-useless tone block, so replacing the whole assembly with some shiny-new generic seems pointless. Now, something Wilkinson WOULD have been a step up.

It's the first I've seen in CS. About half have been black, there was a spate of reds, & a few ivory have appeared recently. Now, if someone can tell me what color "TIBL" translates to, so I can add that to my list.

Can anyone point to official info on a BT-500?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Washburn/Bt500-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

Clearly a BillyT shape, but 6x1 headstock.

That green BT-2 is still up for $140, or about what two passive EMGs would cost -- any bets that they're actives?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Washburn/1993-Bt-2-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2015, 11:14:15 AM »
Stopping by to note the ONLY Maverick I've seen that sports a skunk-stripe neck. :o

Sadly, the link to the image is now dead.  :(
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:04:39 PM by Tony Raven »

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2015, 11:05:25 AM »
Aha -- another mystery solved... TIBL = Tiffany Blue.

No faint idea what it looks like. ???

Anyhow, TIBL was only used on the 1998 BT-2 & BT-3. The BT-2 was also available in Caribbean Blue (1998-1999), which really doesn't help the situation.

As you can tell, the Maverick list is about up to beta release. Now, if someone could find/assemble a virtual "color card" of all these goshdarn finishes!! In 1996-2000, the BT/WM family had no less than 29 finishes -- possibly 30 if MC remains unique. ("Metallic Copper"?? Only on the 2000 BT-4.) Even Squier would be hard-pressed to match that.

Two interesting finds from GC Online, at either end (or thereabouts) of the value range. At the top: WM100, $490.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Washburn/WM100-IDOL-USA-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

Based on the official pricelist, I have to say that I'm disappointed. Suppoed to be a quilt-maple top, with "fine-tune stoptail" & "deluxe locking nut," none of which I see. One of the pickups isn't clearly branded, so I question whether it's the original Duncan. Maybe it's a transitional 1998-1999 WM100/WM Studio. Anyway, though I'll admire, I think it's $100 too much, but YMMV.

At the other extreme is one that ANY Maverick fan should snag -- except for me because I just bought one 8) -- a bright red BT-4, a mere $60 + s/h, so <$100 to the Lower 48.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/product-detail-page?productId=site5111718345

What's interesting is that unless this is the "MC" finish (see above), the color doesn't exist in the pricelists -- the quilties were the only red tones.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2015, 12:26:51 PM »
Supposed to be a quilt-maple top, with "fine-tune stoptail" & "deluxe locking nut," none of which I see. One of the pickups isn't clearly branded, so I question whether it's the original Duncan.
More like so (though also lacking the lock-nut) --