Washburn Acoustic Guitars Forums > Travel Series including The Rover

New Rovers!

<< < (2/2)

Niteshooter:
Picked up a used Rover with spalted maple top, back and sides. I don't think these are solid wood but like the other Rovers in the lineup laminated. I'm pretty sure at least the back and sides are laminated. The top and bottom appear to be book matched and I haven't seen two spalted maples that looked the same so I think they are legit.

Here are some pix of the one I picked up today. I discovered like my first Rover, that the action for me is really high so I will be replacing the saddle with a compensated bone like my other Rover. The neck had a slight hump to it so I backed it off 1/2 turn and it is perfect. No issues with the bridge pins unlike my first which I now suspect had replacements. Sounds great, and feels good with the exception of the action which I will correct. This one also came with the spare saddle as well as shims. This puzzles me, am I way off in trying to make the action of this guitar match my other acoustics????

Just love the look of this wood...

This looks like layers of wood or am I mistaken??

I am going to sand down the saddle to drop the action some more as I find it a bit on the high side.

Tony Raven:
Very few Washburns have ever been made that used sawn wood without putting the "S" or "SW" in the model number. Lacking that, bet on plywood -- "When you hear hoofbeats, assume horses, not zebras."

Spalt maple is wood that has been attacked by a fungus. Though it makes for some unique (often beautiful) marking, the cellular damage makes the wood structurally unsound -- I suppose it's possible to make a top from spalt wood, but this would be so labor-intensive as to be unsuitable for mass-produced instruments, & certainly much more expensive than the Rovers.

Solid-body guitars have less structural need, but the only production guitar I'm aware of with a spalt-maple slab top (rather thick, too) was the Kona KE55.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version