Username: Password:

Author Topic: Keep vcc, and add tone control?  (Read 1740 times)

Offline wully

• View Profile
Keep vcc, and add tone control?
« on: December 17, 2015, 11:56:45 PM »
Don't know if this is do-able, but I like the vcc system, but I'd like a bit more tone control. Is it possible to add  maybe a master tone control? Is there a way to add more tone control to the guitar without drilling more holes in the guitar? I know rolling the volume off a bit can knock some of the high frequency off, but is there a way to get more tonal adjustment? I really do like the vcc, and I want to keep it.

Thanks!

Offline psp742

• buy, upgrade, learn to play.. yup!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
Re: Keep vcc, and add tone control?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 05:10:00 AM »
Hello wully,

Welcome to Washburn forum, I don't know if it's possible, I simpler way to control tone is get a good quality EQ pedal.  I'm sure some can  find a way to have more control over the tone. 
88 Force ABT B-30 MR
90 Festival EA20B
94 Bantam XB600 BkFlam
96 Bantam XB400 Bttrsctch
97 Maverick BT-4 Tobaccobrst
98 Maverick BTM MR/DMB
98 Bantam XB-500 Bk
98 Maverick BT-6 MtlFlkBk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
05 Xseries X-33 Bk
05 Idol WI64 Bk
05 Idol WI36 Bk
14 WCG18CE Na
84 Wing T-bird Brwnbrst

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 07:25:49 AM »
Replace one of your Vol pots with a stacked potentiometer, like these --

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_concentricpots.htm

For humbuckers you probably want a 500K for volume; I'd go that way for Tone as well, but 250K works fine for most players.

Solder on a capacitor (before installing, of course). put on the knobs, & you're good to go.

OTHER OPTION: turn one Vol into a master, turn the other into your Tone. All you'd need is the capacitor.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 07:48:40 AM »
But if the goal is to shape your tone, NOT mod an axe, then I'd concur a pedal's the way to go.

The graphic EQ pedal is pretty common. The Danelectro DJ-14 can be had for <$30.

But for serious tone control, you should consider the parametric EQ. The most basic allows you to boost OR cut the midrange; the next step up allows you to set the midpoint of that boost/cut zone; a step better allows you to set the width of that zone.

Because so few players even know about parametrics, there's not much demand, so they ain't cheap, readily $250+ new depending on brand name. I don't know that there's many cheaper AND as control-rich as the Boss PQ-4 (discontinued), & they seem to go for $150 +/- $50 -- here's the cheapest at the moment:
https://reverb.com/item/1408257-boss-pq-4-parametric-equalizer?_aid=pla&currency=USD&pla=1&gclid=CJOEsNSF6MkCFcETHwodm7gC_A

But because parametrics ARE so often overlooked, you can sometimes snag a good off-brand box (less likely to be seen as "collectible") for <$100.
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=parametric&sort=price|asc
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline psp742

• buy, upgrade, learn to play.. yup!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 07:36:04 PM »
Tony, is the Boss a good pedal, i'm guessing it is good quality because its Japan made (assume its vintage)
88 Force ABT B-30 MR
90 Festival EA20B
94 Bantam XB600 BkFlam
96 Bantam XB400 Bttrsctch
97 Maverick BT-4 Tobaccobrst
98 Maverick BTM MR/DMB
98 Bantam XB-500 Bk
98 Maverick BT-6 MtlFlkBk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
05 Xseries X-33 Bk
05 Idol WI64 Bk
05 Idol WI36 Bk
14 WCG18CE Na
84 Wing T-bird Brwnbrst

Offline mapdude55

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 12:38:06 PM »
Don't know if this is do-able, but I like the vcc system, but I'd like a bit more tone control. Is it possible to add  maybe a master tone control? Is there a way to add more tone control to the guitar without drilling more holes in the guitar? I know rolling the volume off a bit can knock some of the high frequency off, but is there a way to get more tonal adjustment? I really do like the vcc, and I want to keep it.

Thanks!

I hear what you are saying. However, I just ripped the guts out of my WI66PROF and rewired it with a Jimi Page schematic (4 push/pull pots.)

I got one word...UNBELIEVABLE.  the chains have been taken off and this guitar will really show what it can do. Love the SD pups. Love the feel of the guirtar. I just improved it 1000%.

These guitars can be had so cheaply because people are not familiar with them, and don't realize how well they are made. Rework the inferior electronics and you will be happy. I don't think the Gibson LP or the Fender Deluxe American Strat will be coming out of the cases much in the future.

This one sits on the stand as the go to guitar at present.

However, your mileage may vary....