Username: Password:

Author Topic: Washburn Lyon Series  (Read 5989 times)

Offline Noggie

• View Profile
Washburn Lyon Series
« on: April 27, 2015, 02:35:36 PM »
Hi all, Can anyone help me about a Lyons series I got for my son? Only thing I have is the Serial nr. 5020816.

Would like some info on what year its made, what model, original price, basicly everything.

Thanks.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Washburn Lyon Series
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 02:05:54 AM »
The chances of identifying a guitar from its serial number are... well, about zero. You'll have to give us some minimal crumbs of info, like photo(s) or what it's a clone of.

I have a Lyon that I really like, an LCT24; in two years, I've managed to find pretty much nothing about it. I found that Lyon was somewhat the "house brand" for guitars in the Zellers chain across Canada; a player in Texas tells me that Lyon was common at Target stores in his region a decade or more ago, before being replaced by (among others) First Act. To date, nobody reports seeing a new Lyon guitar in an actual guitar store. It was a "commodity" line, mostly cheap Stratoclones, with some interesting oddities.

The brand had a few near-successes, not the least being the "collectible" Paul Stanley model & LI-prefix Idol guitars -- Def Leppard "Union Jack," LI-15 "Joe Trohman," LI-38 "Mike Kennerty."

While Washburn's Oscar Schmidt sub-brand has its own website, there's nothing for Lyon. Unless yours is marked, any details appear lost to history. Mine is clearly marked "Made in China," s/n 05xxxxxx; if it uses the Washburn numbering, I'd guess it's 2005.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://cheapguitars.boards.net/

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 12:31:07 AM »
It only just now occurs to me that, this being the acoustic guitars forum, you may be referring to an acoustic guitar. ??? Which, I guess, sorta illustrates why photos & actual descriptions & suchlike are helpful...

Anyway, if you've got a fairly new acoustical "Lyon by Washburn" guitar, I'd wager it's from the LG1PAK set, like this:
http://www.musicgoround.com/p/303812/used-lyon-lg1pak-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar-natural
Per Amazon.com (edited for clarity) --
It is a full-size dreadnought, a hardwood body with laminated top, Catalapa back and sides; rosewood fingerboard and bridge. ... Die cast chrome tuners. In the Box -- Lyon by Washburn LG1PAK Acoustic Guitar, padded gig bag, replacement guitar strings, digital guitar tuner, instructional DVD, 3 guitar picks, and Lyon strap
Another thread says that the label will say it's made in China.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 12:02:28 PM »
Right after I registered on this forum we had a member who bought (despite our suggestions that he save a little bit longer and get a Washburn) one of those Lyons guitar packs at a WalMart, Target...etc.

Less than a month later that he was back on the forum...one of his tuners had gotten loose and he was having trouble getting it replaced. I can't remember if he ever did get the replacement, it's been SO long ago...but the moral of the story is that for a few dollars more than what the Lyons "package" contained, he could have gotten a true Washburn, perhaps even a well cared for used one one with a solid wood top, for little more than he paid for the Lyons beginner pack....or a nice new Oscar Schmidt offering (which seem to be WAAY under-priced to me!)

While it's not necessarily true for all guitars, it's been my experience that for the most part at the lower end of the product line you really do get what you pay for in most cases. There are notable exceptions, but..... :o

Here's hoping that the poster has gotten one of the better examples and that he gets great service out of it.

Cheers!

Dugly 8)

YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,D62SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 01:58:18 AM »
Hi all, Can anyone help me about a Lyons series I got for my son? Only thing I have is the Serial nr. 5020816.
Oh, I wish he woulda come back!!

Loathe as I am to create a Zombie Thread, I need to bring in a correction. The OP refers to "Lyons series" but I think that he might've actually meant NOT the usual "Lyon by Washburn" beginner guitar but RATHER the WE-prefix Lyon Series, which seems to have a following & is damnably tough to run through a search-engine. >:(

By all reports, these are very-good-quality clones of the standard Fender models -- thus far I've spotted one each: S, T, P.

This ivory WE-3 (Teleclone) is going to go out tomorrow for upwards of $171, on a site that's not usually kind to "off brand" guitars.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Washburn-WE3-IV-Electric-Guitar-wCase-TESTED-26105617.html

The line straddles the ol' pickets between being a Washburn, & being a Lyon.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:07:12 AM by Tony Raven »