Username: Password:

Author Topic: Possibly selling XS-6  (Read 779 times)

Offline Shlomobarukh

• View Profile
Possibly selling XS-6
« on: December 29, 2015, 01:48:27 AM »
Hey all!

I have an  XS-6 fretless bass that I bought back in July of 1992.  Several months after buying it, I decided I wanted to go for the "natural" look and stripped (well, sanded) the paint off of it.  I of course discovered that it was made of plywood, and did *not* look all that cool stripped nekkid.  I played it for awhile anyway, then moved on to other basses.  Over the years, I've made several attempts at refinishing it, and in the course of it being disassembled, lost track of the pickups and electronics.  I now have a finish on it - not exactly professional, but it might be just fine with some more buffing/polishing.  It was white - the polyurethane clear coat yellowed with the paint, and it actually gives it a vintage look.  I installed an EMG active P/J set (of the same vintage actually) from a different project, and for the first time in twenty years the thing is up and running again.  For some reason, the P pickup is working better than it has in years, and with both pickups it has a great, throaty sound.

In the meantime, I've rather become a Fender Jazz sort of player, and will probably let this go at some point soon.  So... any idea what I should sell it for?  On the one hand, it's a cheap bass with non-original pickups/electronics and a non-original paint job.  On the other hand, from looking around it appears that the XS series is rather rare, and a fretless one would be even more so.  Any thoughts?

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Possibly selling XS-6
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 10:10:53 AM »
The Axxess basses aren't exactly thick on the ground, but the problem is that nobody cares, so scarcity doesn't imply value.

Don't get me wrong: they seem to've been decent entry-level basses, especially considering the EQ, & that heel joint remains ingenious. But they were superseded by the short-lived Mercury line, then the Bantams, & the Axxess were long forgotten.

Though I only wish that I could do aside-by-side, it looks like the MBs were largely an excuse to jack up the XS prices. There were pretty much the same models in each line, right down to layout, electronics, & hardware. This includes your XS4FL, which quickly reappeared as the MB4FL.

(I've always wondered why there was never a fretless entry in the XB line. ???)

It's a cool bass, much more a working bass than a "collectible," so value effects of passive guts & repaint are negligible. While I'd say $200 is about reasonable, there's a VERY slim chance you could get as much as $300 for it, because it does have reliability going for it, & maybe a little cachet of the era, & the fact that Washburn has made so few fretless basses in its history. It'd be a great choice for an established bassist who wants to try fretless, & the markers would be great for a new player as well.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline Shlomobarukh

• View Profile
Re: Possibly selling XS-6
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 01:07:20 PM »
Okay, that's about what I was thinking.  I came across some posts when I was researching the thing where some folks were looking for them, and I was wondering if perhaps Google found the four people on earth who care about the XS series, or if there were more. 

The EMGs are active, btw, but that's a minor detail.

Anyway, it seems like I'm in the right ballpark to sell it for about $200 and pitch it towards the bassist looking to try fretless without investing more in a newer instrument.