Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wiring help  (Read 2579 times)

Offline ape

• View Profile
Wiring help
« on: January 24, 2016, 05:41:35 AM »
Hi all, I'm new to the site but have had a XB400 for some time and in the future want a XB925, anyway.... Here goes, I have recently got my heavily modified (body wise and fretless) XB400 back from my Brother but unfortunately it's in a bit of a state.  He in his infinite wisdom de soldered the jack and battery connector, I'm ok with soldering but not great at understanding wiring sooo. my question is (and possibly a daft question) but where do the wires need to be soldered to the jack? and where to both ends of the 9v battery connector solder to? apologies if these are dumb questions but I've looked on good old google and can find nothing, I've even tried finding close up pictures of a xb400 control cavity to give me an idea.  Thank in advance for your help :-)

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: Wiring help
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 12:14:34 PM »
There used to be some circuit diagrammes at VintageWashburn.com, but that site may have died. Fortunately, I've got an XB-400 handy.

If it's the Sound Tech WR510 circuit, the red/positive/+ lead goes to the edge of the PC board marked + DC.

The black/negative/- lead is the only wire going to the side tab of the jack.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline ape

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 04:58:28 PM »
There used to be some circuit diagrammes at VintageWashburn.com, but that site may have died. Fortunately, I've got an XB-400 handy.

If it's the Sound Tech WR510 circuit, the red/positive/+ lead goes to the edge of the PC board marked + DC.

The black/negative/- lead is the only wire going to the side tab of the jack.

Hi Tony, I've just checked and it's definitely the WR510 circuit and can see the +DC tab, thank you so much I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate it, does the negative cable definitely go to the jack? the only reason I ask is on the pre amp I can see a DC- that is empty but looks like it previously had solder.

Thanks,

In advance

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 04:01:35 PM »
No prob' -- always nice to find a question that I can answer. :o

The ground lead runs to the jack so that the circuit is only powered when there's a plug in the bass -- the barrel of the 1/4 plug "shorts" the lead to ground, completing the circuit. You'd only use the board "-" if you wanted to use a separate switch to turn it on/off. (I know one guy who prefers having the switch on the Volume knob; surely there's some who'd like a separate toggle, so they could leave the bass plugged in without running down the battery.)

Beter keep an eye on your brother. ;D A few years back, I got a sweeeet Ibanez EDA-905 bass for Very Cheap because someone had tried to "mod" the circuit by replacing some of the wires with 14 ga!! Sure, it took a couple hours to fix it, but he took a BIG loss on the deal.
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

Offline ape

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 03:38:24 AM »
No prob' -- always nice to find a question that I can answer. :o

The ground lead runs to the jack so that the circuit is only powered when there's a plug in the bass -- the barrel of the 1/4 plug "shorts" the lead to ground, completing the circuit. You'd only use the board "-" if you wanted to use a separate switch to turn it on/off. (I know one guy who prefers having the switch on the Volume knob; surely there's some who'd like a separate toggle, so they could leave the bass plugged in without running down the battery.)

Beter keep an eye on your brother. ;D A few years back, I got a sweeeet Ibanez EDA-905 bass for Very Cheap because someone had tried to "mod" the circuit by replacing some of the wires with 14 ga!! Sure, it took a couple hours to fix it, but he took a BIG loss on the deal.

Thank's Tony I'll get it re soldered today then, I can't thank you enough I've been really struggling, wiring isn't my forte, funny you should mention Ibanez my first bass was an Ibanez SR800 it's the only bass I've kept over these years and have not long ago upgraded it with some EMG X series pickups :-D

Offline psp742

• buy, upgrade, learn to play.. yup!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 06:32:09 PM »
hello ape,

hmmmm... ape? sort of different name.

Anyways, i own a few Washburn Bantam basses..  XB400, XB500 and XB600. a RB2000 and others.  I have some pictures of the electronics, hope it helps.

Hope it helps.  :)   
88 Force ABT B-30 MR
90 Festival EA20B
94 Bantam XB600 BkFlam
96 Bantam XB400 Bttrsctch
97 Maverick BT-4 Tobaccobrst
98 Maverick BTM MR/DMB
98 Bantam XB-500 Bk
98 Maverick BT-6 MtlFlkBk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
05 Xseries X-33 Bk
05 Idol WI64 Bk
05 Idol WI36 Bk
14 WCG18CE Na
84 Wing T-bird Brwnbrst

Offline paches86

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 12:24:57 PM »
Hi guys, where can I get the wiring diagram of a Lyon Series? Thanks in advance!

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 07:53:42 PM »
They should be wired the same as the guitars they mimic:
WE-1 -- Strat, s-s-s
WE-2 -- Strat, h-s-s
WE-3 -- Tele
WB-10 -- Precision
WB-20 -- Jazz