Username: Password:

Author Topic: WM17V  (Read 1455 times)

Offline ElOcean

• View Profile
WM17V
« on: February 06, 2016, 07:26:27 AM »
Hi

So ages ago I got this Washburn WM17V, for what I recall it was really really cheap. I've been scouring the internet for any info on the thing but I can't seem to find it in any of the Washburn catalogs. It says ''HM-series'' on the headstock, has a licenced Floyd, HSH pickup config, a rosewood fretboard and it's painted black. I'd like to know the rest of the specs, just out of interest.
Could anyone help? Thanks.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
Re: WM17V
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 02:50:53 PM »
Ah, looks like you've strayed into one of the dim corners of the Washburn basement.  :o

For the most part, Washburn shows great consistency. Like, Idols look like Idols. Then they start sniffing the lacquer thinner, & Idols appear with Les Paul bodies.

Or their "Billy T" guitars magically become "Maverick" (but at least they keep the same shape). The higher-end models for 1997-2000 get a WM prefix -- from "William," right? ::) Which gets really confusing when in 2008 they recycle "WM-" to mean "Washburn Metal," which is where YOU walked in. :D

For 2008-2010, the HM guitars weren't really any sort of "series," but some cool "heavy metal" versions from various lines, like the Idol-bodied WI-50, the Renegade-bodied WM-24V, & the Wavepoint-bodied WV-40, as well as the Nextars -- depending who you talk to, HM also includes the ~2001 WR Series ("Washburn Rocks" -- geddit? geddit?) guitars, a similar hodgepodge (WG-580, CS-780, RS-980) that included the bottom-end WR-120/-150 (precursors to the X-10/-20).

I haven't seen many of these "in the wild." Photos would help, as would the date or at least first three digits of the serial number.

Unfortunately, that's the era that Washburn's catalogue division also began snorting correction fluid, so their catalogue PDFs are multilayered & have been known to lock up my PC, so here ya go.
http://www.washburn.com/media/catalogs/

MORE FUN: it's easily possible that the WM-17V was some one-off Guitar Center model or something, & never appeared in ANY retal catalogue.

(FWIW, my notes say the WM-24 does appear in the 2009 catalogue.)
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline aircooled1

• Appreciate the moment...
    • View Profile
Re: WM17V
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 08:37:29 PM »
Spec References:
http://touch.adverts.ie/electric-guitars/electric-guitar-washburn-wm17v/5496611

It seems like there's more usage listings of WM17V guitars in other countries.  I don't believe that it's uncommon for Washburn to offer model designations and configurations in other countries that don't show up in US catalogs.  Example: l own a Stealth WESTPRO that was never sold in the US market, but is similar to a model that was sold in the US.  I suppose that I'm speculating on whether or not it was intended for the US market.  I'm not sure if you bought it new or not. 

Take Care...

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:44:36 PM by aircooled1 »