Username: Password:

Author Topic: Help me identify my washburn!  (Read 2693 times)

Offline washburnecua

• View Profile
Help me identify my washburn!
« on: February 11, 2016, 12:41:15 AM »
Hello everyone! First time writing on this forum.

Bought this Washburn guitar used from a guy that refurbishes old guitars. I'll be honest, paid a $1000 for it because he's a friend of my wife and I trusted him, and I didn't know anything about electric guitars when I bought it. I believe I've been scammed and paid way too much. Prices of everything imported down here in Ecuador is about 150% of retail prices in the US because of extortionist import taxes. So let's say I would have paid $667 in the US for this, would that have been a fair price to pay?

I'm attaching a link to images of my guitar below.
I believe the body and the neck are from different models right? What models? The neck doesn't have a serial number anywhere. Do you think it's an original Washburn or could it be a copy? What about the pick-ups, what models are they? What could a real world value be for this guitar?
http://imgur.com/a/9pNG1

I also have a huge problem with it. The tuner for the g-string, as you can see on the third and fourth images from the bottom. There is no screw on the back side for the tuner of the g-string, it never had a screw there. And the "pin" or whatever it's called seem to be stuck in a very low position as you can see on the images. So every time I try to attach a string, the string snaps because the hole of the tuner is below where it should be. It sucks. The moron I bought the guitar from cannot fix it and I'm in Ecuador and there's nobody knowledgeable of guitar repairs here.

What should I do? Can I get replacement tuners from somewhere? What kind of tuners are these? Is it difficult to mount them? I guess I have to do everything myself and I've never fooled around with guitars before.

Offline YerDugliness

• Pearl, TX jams at: www.pearlbluegrass.com/
    • View Profile
Re: Help me identify my washburn!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 03:31:34 PM »
Most of us recommend Stewart-McDonald ("Stew-Mac") for replacement tuners...when you order make sure you get the right ones, sometimes the screw-holes in the housing are straight in line with the neck and sometimes they are at an angle.

Sorry I can't help you with the other issues, but we have members who can. Try posting your questions in the "Electric Guitar" board of the forum, you'll probably get more traffic there.

Cheers!!!

Dugly 8)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 08:14:57 AM by YerDugliness »
YerDugliness,Esq./Post No Bills
Guitar Playin' FOOL, attempting to age disgracefully!
Washburns:WD32SW,D61SW,C124SWK,
WMJ21S(2),WGO26SCE,WSJ60SKELITE,WG26S (2).
Other fine acoustics:Breedlove custom shop 000,Hippner #506 Hauser,Takamini 2005 LTD,Epi Masterbilt AJ500RC

Offline psp742

• buy, upgrade, learn to play.. yup!!!
    • View Profile
    • www.squier-talk.com
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 07:35:43 PM »
the tuners don't look original to the guitar, they look like Planet Wave Locking Auto Trim tuners (black) - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/tuning-machine-heads-for-guitars/daddario-planet-waves-auto-trim-tuning-machines-6-in-line
Seymour Duncan pickups aren't stock either, most probably upgrade, can't see the serial number clearly because of the glare.

unsure of the model...  I prefer Maverick Series and Idol Series.

88 Force ABT B-30 MR
90 Festival EA20B
94 Bantam XB600 BkFlam
96 Bantam XB400 Bttrsctch
97 Maverick BT-4 Tobaccobrst
98 Maverick BTM MR/DMB
98 Bantam XB-500 Bk
98 Maverick BT-6 MtlFlkBk
01 RB2000 Bk
04 WG587 MR
05 Xseries X-33 Bk
05 Idol WI64 Bk
05 Idol WI36 Bk
14 WCG18CE Na
84 Wing T-bird Brwnbrst

Offline washburnecua

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 10:28:47 PM »
Thanks, it might be tha D'Addario tuners I have.

The serial plate on the back says 6110056.

I'm gonna post this in forum electric guitars as well and we'll see if I can get some more help.

Offline Huemanbing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 03:59:29 PM »
Hello, Have you had any luck identifying your Washburn  ? I am in the same process . Very unique maple neck. Unique tremolo system with 3 single coil pickups .  Odd !

Offline washburnecua

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 08:03:28 AM »
No still no luck in identifying it. Bumping the thread.

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 04:18:54 PM »
Unique tremolo system with 3 single coil pickups
Through 2015, these are the ONLY Washburn models that I've been able to verify with the s-s-s configuration -- roughly in order from lowest value to highest.
  • BT-3
  • WS-4
  • X-33
  • MG-43
  • LS-93
  • LS-103
  • JB-80
  • Force 30V 1983-4
  • Force 3 (G-3) 1984-5
  • Force G-3 1987-8
  • MG-113 Performer
  • MG-230 Special
  • LS-103
  • KC-30
  • JB-100
  • JB-100 MIDI
  • X-50 PRO ACD Chris Duarte
  • N-5

Details of the construction of most models:
http://bluebookofguitarvalues.com/Electric_Guitar_Values/Manufacturers/WASHBURN?id=WASHBURN
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

resident troublemaker: http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 03:13:14 AM »
Does anyone know what model this is? Still curious!!  ???
M1SDL; XB-400 (natural), XB-400 (burg), XB-500 (teal); X-10, X-33; D46CESP, WCSD30SCE; BT-3, BT-4, BT-6, JB-80; WS-4; WI-66V; Lyon LCT24; OS Autoharps

Offline bigcity2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 04:11:56 AM »
I don't think this is a Washburn guitar...

Offline Tony Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 11:47:37 PM »
Yah, the more I look at it, the more I get the feeling it might be a partscaster, with a Washburn neck.

But, holy gee, a thousand bucks?? :o Let's just say that my JB-80, WI-66V, X-33, & BT-6 cost me less... added together. 8)

washburnecua, your wife should get you a refund. If you were a professional or semi-pro player AND this guitar was perfectly set-up & adjusted AND it suited your playing style exactly... well, no, I still can't talk myself into believing it's worth 1,000 USD.

There's plentiful USA-made Washburns seeking less than a grand. A used N5 Nuno can be found for less than $1,500, is great to play, holds its value very well, & can be resold readily.

Please be VERY wary of putting YOUR cash into SOMEONE ELSE's gamble -- don't buy an expensive guitar if you know little about guitars.

Offline 92D-17CES/WR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 03:27:06 AM »
I believe the body and the neck are from different models right? What models? The neck doesn't have a serial number anywhere. Do you think it's an original Washburn or could it be a copy? What about the pick-ups, what models are they? What could a real world value be for this guitar?
http://imgur.com/a/9pNG1

Hi there, I know a little about guitar construction, on an electric like that one you will find the serial number and possibly the model number in one of three places, these locations are the reverse side of the head pressed into the finish, same side at the base of the neck, or in the electronics cavity in the back of the guitar. Hope I helped and good luck.